M20G Opinions

One thing I like about the Encore is the 140 kt gear extension speed. That, along with the speedbrakes, is very handy on a lot of approaches and airports. What would happen with the J bar if you extended the gear at that speed? I guess nobody knows because none of the J bar aircraft have a limit that high. Slowing down my J was always a problem. But never a problem with the Encore.

The J-bar is airspeed dependent....

The faster you are going the more force the gear doors generate...

Springs and things hold the gear halfway up....

So... there is a constant balance between too slow and too fast for easy gear ops...

Going up, is a nice slow speed... barely faster than T/O makes it easy...

Going down, is also a slow speed similar to approach speed...

Any faster than that it hits you really hard in the elbow on the way by...

So I have heard... :)

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, and if I could have my 252 in a short body with a Johnson bar, I'd prefer it.

I LOVE the 252, but the two things that are wasted are the extra 10 inches in the fuselage and the electric gear.

Flying to KOSH I can fill the mid-body up with camp gear:)

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 11:03 PM, gsxrpilot said:

This should be pinned somewhere. Every newbie looking for a Mooney should have this posted front and center.

Ditto.  I have 68 G. Good machine just wish it was faster  useful load 588 pounds with full fuel. I bet the one your looking at is similar. Problem with all airplanes except a B777 LR . That is load v fuel

At a strong discount I would consider a G. When you look at all the C/E/F’s out there priced competitively the G isn’t worth it unless the deal is good.  

For this particular one the radios and prop would be of concern. The RayJay isn’t going to do much for the G (it doesn’t do a super huge amount for my F except in limited circumstances, search my posts).  If they want to let it go for $25-30K assuming no major issues it is a find. 

Otherwise I would focus on a C or E (F if you need the room but nobody really does).