All in one or specific mission

In reading the Electric Mooney thread, I began to internalize a battle I continually fight: An all in one vehicle or numerous specific task vehicles.

Example: Cars: I'm a large fan of depreciated vehicles for certain missions and a good newer family hauler for safety with the family. An SUV/Truck/Minivan for people moving. An older SUV/Truck for hauling stuff, a sports car for fun drives, a sedan cruiser/sports sedan/wagon for longer drives/daily/not needing to bring the family but have flexibility to have more than one pax comfortably. Do you buy one newer car that does all of it or do you buy older depreciated better to the mission vehicles? 

I'm building a fleet of vehicles. We have the sports sedan, the economy mid size sedany, Newer Station wagon for the family, and an old SUV for bad weather and hauling. I also have access to a convertible for fun. Two of the 5 are manual transmissions (convertible and my sports sedan).

Aviation wise, do you keep your older Mooney for longer missions and get an electric airplane for the simple flying around fun? Maybe build an experimental two seat and have that be the electric airplane? Use the Mooney for long distance travel but save the engine and fuel costs for local fun flying to the electric aircraft? Then you don't need as much power, thus lighter batteries, etc.

If I could I'd have a fleet of airplanes and a fleet of cars tailored to specific uses.

In aviation, what's the better solution - an all in one where you don't have multiple insurance rates, hanger costs, subscription expenses, etc, or a fleet of airplanes, maybe some older, that gives you what you want for each mission?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

-Seth

My opinion...... I don’t believe there is an all in one item anything, unless it’s a “painter’s tool”.... lol.

Especially not in the transportation area.  In my experiences with cars, motorcycles, trumpets and trumpet mouthpieces (another lol) Airplanes?  I doubt that too (admittedly limited experience with a variety of aircraft).

One size does not fit all missions!

Street motorcycles vs off road missions.  Windy road performance car vs a sports sedan.  Just a few examples.

Ive found manufacturers that advertise a combination vehicle that has multipurpose performance is mostly not great at either.

Again, My experiences only. 

Honestly the increase in insurance rates has me back pedaling the multiple aircraft idea. It also just takes too much time to properly maintain and exercise multiple aircraft. Over the next month it will be great as one plane is down for an upgrade. But overall its not like a sports car that you can park in the garage, pull the battery, and not think about for 6 months. 

For cars I just make sure the wife and kids have the newest vehicle in the driveway. I’ll drive the old hand-me-down cars so long as I can drive it to my hangar. 

• Like 1