M20K engine alignment

There are a couple of rubber bumpers on the front lower side of the engine mount that are there to provide proper clearance of the cowl around the engine.  I had to replace my bumpers and have the mounts adjusted due to my cowl being misaligned as you stated.  Other than looking off center like yours I also had some cowl rubbing/too close to the turbo and we found some hot spots.

Welcome aboard Hank!

Summary....

1) Rubber parts compress over time... engine mounts do this... Small rubber donuts between the engine and the mounting frame...

2) Some rubber parts fail... hard to find the split in the rubber donut without removing it....

3) Some cowling parts age poorly over the many decades... it is possible that the cowl is moving....

4) When the engine sags, then fixes itself.... then sags again.... this is a sign that the tubular engine mount may be broken.... check all the welds, and tubes carefully...

When you get a chance, add some data to your avatar... location and airframe are always appreciated...

Best regards,

-a-

From the maintenance manual here is the engine mount stack up.  It’s possible that they’re installed wrong.

Clarence

08669268-6CFA-4AA6-B89D-50C206C2FBC0.jpeg

7BA0DE5B-A97D-4122-AF55-73FA9A59E7D4.jpeg

EE99F982-576C-4F54-A02B-DB8749ADC4C6.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

I spoke with someone at the factory way back around 2000, explaining my spinner was about 3/8" lower than the cowl (on the ground). 

It was explained to me the engine naturally sagged on the mounts when stopped on the ground, but when airborne under power the engine rises and aligns the spinner and cowl.