PVT INSTRUMENT Computer Based Training Courses

I was talking with my friend tonight about my quest to buy a Mooney and he told me he was interested in flying with me. He wants me to teach him but told him he’d be better prepared if he went the route of online learning. Back when I was training 30 years ago at FlightSafety I used the King tapes as reinforcement for ground school. I know technology has changed. So what is the best knowledge system for him to use. I know King is still in business. I’m also aware of Sporty’s, and Cessna as well. Which is the best? If there are any I’m missing please advise. I will likely buy as well for my flight review and ICC refresher. Thanks in advance!

I used Soorty's DVD's for both my Private & Instrument, when I started my Commercial I switched to Gliem's Online. I'll keep my opinion to myself and just say it was a total waste of money, Gliem is good for 1 year only so if you have to stop training as I did the clock will run out. I ended up spending the money for the King online for Commercial and CFI, there is NO expiration in fact the King School keeps all the online content up to date. Very pleased with King Online Ground Schools

• Like 1

It's been a little while since I used one of these courses, so I don't want to recommend a particular publisher. But I'll just note that there can be a big difference between knowledge courses and test prep courses. If you take a good online knowledge course, you may actually get a lower score on the written but have a better understanding of the material than if you take a pure test prep course. Since it sounds like you're primarily interested in knowledge, go with one of the long-form video publishers. 

• Like 2

I used King for my private and instrument ratings, both on DVD/PC.  Both times I came close to, but barely missed, acing the written tests.  The prep is pretty thorough, IMO.  Whether you get a real understanding of the material is really a function of how you dedicate yourself to learning it, as with any educational opportunity, you have to apply yourself.

I have the King commercial certificate training package and use my iPad to access it.  They keep it up to date and add new test questions frequently.  I'd recommend it.

Edited by 1001001

If you are a CB like many of us....

There may be some videos And training tools available online... U of ND via the YouTube campus...

Great for a back-up to whatever other tools you are using...

Both private and instrument...

And of course the FAA has a few publications available for free as well...

Best regards,

-a-

From https://www.aviationconsumer.com/uncategorized/ppl-training-courses-sportys-mzeroa-top/:

An Easy Win

Of the courses we reviewed, our top pick is the $199 Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course. Its content is engaging, intuitive, highly portable and provides the greatest number of study options for all aspects of initial training.

MzeroA gets an honorable mention for its unique approach to learning, its robust content and its interactive style.

Edited by Deb
  • Like 1

Aviationexam.com offers a lot of bang for the buck It is geared towards test prep (has all of the FAA tests for study, practice and explanation. Subscriptions prices are reasonable and includes free downloads of pertinent literature. Decent app. Test questions can be downloaded and used offline.

72E1D1C4-E763-472C-B192-629505845245.thumb.png.1bb195bc180a23f6f60d7ce025415370.png69DA79EA-4F4E-4493-B1F0-670093527CFC.thumb.png.bb476f7bf3d9075af12b0ae6b2decc96.pngD40D6CB6-8741-49B4-866D-CB01FD50E6D4.thumb.png.0f589b8f2f4874d362b5dbf730f1613f.png

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

I used Sporty's and thought it was great: iPad version, web version, and Roku version.  I think the videos are fun and really well produced.  I spent a lot of time listening to them on my runs.  Plus, they never expire.  You'll want to pair it with a written prep test book - I used ASA for that I think.

• Like 1

+1 for using a test simulator...

All the same questions that are on the actual test... (they used to be)

Each question comes in several different varieties...

There are some that are obvious tricks that get used On multiple-guess type tests...

The written is all about getting a high score on archaic knowledge... (they used to be)

The only way to KNOW where your mistakes are going to be... is take the simulated test... remember your mistakes.

PP thoughts only... I got a 98% on my IR written.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

+1 for using a test simulator...

All the same questions that are on the actual test... (they used to be)

Each question comes in several different varieties...

There are some that are obvious tricks that get used On multiple-guess type tests...

The written is all about getting a high score on archaic knowledge... (they used to be)

The only way to KNOW where your mistakes are going to be... is take the simulated test... remember your mistakes.

PP thoughts only... I got a 98% on my IR written.... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Me too!  98%.  I was really upset as I expected 100%.   One question on test I’d never seen previously during all my simulated testing...... I guessed incorrectly! :-(

• Like 1

14 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

That’s cool! Thanks Carusoam. I actually went to UND. They owe me! Hated living in ND! :angry:

You must be a city person. Many who go to UND or NDSU have trouble with their grades because they are out on the prairies doing something instead of in class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used King/Cessna for private, instrument, and commercial.  I didn't really choose because I got most of my training at Cessna flight schools.  When I briefly thought I was going to be a professional pilot we had the Jeppesen books in class.  I feel like the goofy-ness of the King stuff keeps me more engaged so I can push through the material but for pure academics the Jeppesen books are good.

I used Sheppard Air for the instrument and commercial written prep.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Other Red Baron said:

I feel like the goofy-ness of the King stuff keeps me more engaged so I can push through the material

I’m use to the goofy ness now, at times John tends to get excited and talks fast and/or in circles. All in all their online ground schools are worth the money , at least to me anyway.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2020 at 12:44 AM, V1VRV2 said:

I was talking with my friend tonight about my quest to buy a Mooney and he told me he was interested in flying with me. He wants me to teach him but told him he’d be better prepared if he went the route of online learning. Back when I was training 30 years ago at FlightSafety I used the King tapes as reinforcement for ground school. I know technology has changed. So what is the best knowledge system for him to use. I know King is still in business. I’m also aware of Sporty’s, and Cessna as well. Which is the best? If there are any I’m missing please advise. I will likely buy as well for my flight review and ICC refresher. Thanks in advance!

I too used, and enjoyed the King Instrument course.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 5:40 AM, RLCarter said:

I used Soorty's DVD's for both my Private & Instrument, when I started my Commercial I switched to Gliem's Online. I'll keep my opinion to myself and just say it was a total waste of money, Gliem is good for 1 year only so if you have to stop training as I did the clock will run out. I ended up spending the money for the King online for Commercial and CFI, there is NO expiration in fact the King School keeps all the online content up to date. Very pleased with King Online Ground Schools

LOL . .  How is that keeping your opinion to yourself?   :D

By the way, i come to Mooneyspace for people’s opinions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

LOL . .  How is that keeping your opinion to yourself?   :D

By the way, i come to Mooneyspace for people’s opinions.

Sometimes you have to get at least one jab in. :) I also have to keep myself reeled in at times so I can stay in the good graces of the Admins

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I’d update this thread. I have watched a lot of online content free and paid. The absolute best content hands down is by Boldmethod! Amazing amount of knowledge these guys have, it’s organized and explained in great detail. They are coming out slowly with paid content and I would definetly be a purchaser if Needed. Here’s a good YouTube live broadcast about LPV and LNAV/VNAV approaches.