Air horn noise in 2008 Acclaim Type S

This sound occurs when airspeed gets in the yellow arc and sometimes in moderate turbulence when the plane drops. What is making that sound and where is sensor?  

Or could it be an air leak around door seal?  These models  have terrible door seals. Wish I had inflatable seal. 

Somebody mentioned nose wheel doors the other day... a particular attitude was the initiator...

Since an Acclaim has electronic sounds for the stall and gear horns... I wouldn’t expect a buzzer to be in the design.

Take a look at all the gear doors... see if they have any obvious marks where the closed position is...

This is a free take a look kind of thing... if you discover any funny wear marks... put the plane up on jacks to adjust the gear doors...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I noticed that the nose wheel doors had the seals falling apart. Some of it was hanging down and i had to cut that piece off. Anyone have a suggestion for replacement seal? I was going to get some thin weather strip from Home Depot.

Sounds like you may have just found your source of vibration...

See if you can find the same dimension of seal... the gear door tightening may require adjustment if a new seal is a different dimension...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

not really vibration but sounds like an air horn at low volume. Today was first time I heard it after takeoff and climbing out and during turns. Went away after straight and level flight. The only time before that is in some rough turbulence and when I dipped into yellow arc on a smooth cool air morning in a rapid descent.

7 minutes ago, Aspen2013 said:

not really vibration but sounds like an air horn at low volume. Today was first time I heard it after takeoff and climbing out and during turns. Went away after straight and level flight. The only time before that is in some rough turbulence and when I dipped into yellow arc on a smooth cool air morning in a rapid descent.

Sound is vibration.

As Anthony stated, you possibly have found your horn sound (vibration).  

Very true that sound is vibration by an acoustic wave propagating through a medium (in this case air) vs that from vibration of say two metal surfaces that may be felt or heard from propagating through metal. Like something loose.  Thanks though so we are clear.:)  

Going on prior experience...

Some MSer reported a very similar challenge...

They found the gear doors had become loose and the attitude of the plane during the climb had them make noise...

It wasn’t that long ago either...

It will be interesting to see if this experience is similar to that experience...

We can also search for the other experience to see what else may have been found...

Best regards,

-a-

Update. Didn't realize how bad the nose gear landing door seal was. Only the long edge had some remaining. I saw it hanging down and had been removing it slowly. The leading and trailing edges had nothing. I found this rubber type strip. It flattens well to about the same thickness as original (which is probably worn out flatter). Same width. Cleaned to bare metal and applied. It has self adhesive backing. Flew it and went for nose dive. Not a sound. I played with the vents as well opening and closing them with the main control knob and the fish eye ones. Nothing. I believe the nose gear doors were the culprit. Someone was a genius!! This material I think will me more durable. I will check fit more next time the plane is up on jacks.

Thanks everyone!

Ken

compare 1.jpg

compare 2.jpg

nose gear 1.jpg

nose gear 2.jpg

weather strip.jpg