How long to fly Georgia to California?

A buddy wants me to fly with him to move his cirrus sr22 (NA) from middle Georgia to San Diego. He'd fly me back to Atlanta commercial. 

How hard a trip is it? I'm self employed so taking random days off isn't something I do often.  Is flying Friday and Saturday, returning Sunday reasonable, or does that sound a little rushed?

Thanks. 

I flew my '65 C to Carlsbad, NM many times, about 2/3 of what you intend.  Each time there was a fuel stop in Little Rock or Pine Bluff.  Usually 9 hours flying, an hour break for fuel and a late breakfast.  Later, there were a couple dozen trips in the Bonanza which cut the flying time to 8 hours.  If you are really determined, San Diego could be a one day trip.  

The flight is over 1600 nmi so it will take at least 12-14 flying hours, depending on headwinds. Unless you’re in a terrible rush why not plan to take 3 days?     Or at least plan on two but have a third day as contingency.   

Should you do it? Absolutely. 

• Like 4

I'd say that's a little lean forward. Assuming perfect weather over 1700 NM is probably not realistic. With a Ground Speed aroun 140 or less, it's gonna take 12-14 hrs. When I do long hauls, I plan for 6 hrs of flying which gives around a 8 hr day for fuel stops, bathroom and food. Yes, you can squeeze more put of the day and limit ground time.

You're most likely going to deviate for TStorms, frontal passage, etc., and you'll have FBO delays. However, going across our country in a small plane is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It will seem like forever....

Each time you look at the red handle your buddy will remind you that he will slap your wrist...

Each time you fidget with the handle... he will slap your wrist...

each time you ask... Hey what’s this do? He will get snarky...

Preface each motion with “hey! I’m just asking....” Then point towards the handle...

Just remember... sometimes Brand Ci pilots actually do use the runway in the old fashioned way...

Each flight should begin and end with a mild complaint... how long is this going to take..?  and holy cow that took forever....

Before departure, a verbal prayer to a fictitious god of parachutes is in order...

:)

Go for it!  It is a lifetime of experience you can get in only a few days...

Work has to wait, every now and then...

For comparison... find the cross country videos posted by an MSer.... (and his Dad)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rbridges said:

A buddy wants me to fly with him to move his cirrus sr22 (NA) from middle Georgia to San Diego. He'd fly me back to Atlanta commercial. 

If you’ve not travelled across this country by GA, you absolutely must do it.  Don’t worry about weather, how long it will take, or how much it will cost, it will be worth it all.  Stop in small town airports, visit with the locals and see the local sights and sounds.  You’ll talk about that trip for years and you’ll dream about doing it again.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

How hard a trip is it? I'm self employed so taking random days off isn't something I do often.  Is flying Friday and Saturday, returning Sunday reasonable, or does that sound a little rushed?

Thanks. 

I did Kenosha to John Wayne which with a couple diverts for weather which ended up being around 1600nm. That was my first time in a retract, and a high performance, so it wasn't as fast as it could have been. Id say plan around 12 or 13 hours, sine the cirrus is a tad bit slower than the Mooney. I'd also make sure the autopilot is working. 13 hours is a long time to be hand flying. It can be done in 2 days however. That's how long it took me. At that time I was planning to do it in one day, but lack of knowledge never let me understand how long that actually is.

Probably 15 hours of actual flying time.   Minimum 2 stops probably 3 with an  overnight somewhere.  Make it a fun trip  and plan an extra few days stopping and enjoy the sights.  pick a few big events and stop like Grand Canyon., arches national park.  

• Like 2

Go and have fun. Don't be in a hurry, who knows when you'll have thus opportunity again!

Side note:  took me 12-13 hours to cover 1320 nm to Cody, WY outside Yellowstone. Could have made fewer stops, but they were part of the fun.  :lol:

• Like 1

Great fun trip, I’ve done Delaware to Vegas a few times about 10 flight hours in a Bravo long range tanks, I’d think you’d be 12-15 hours done in a couple days, fly early to beat some heat, have oxygen to keep safe and comfortable, going to San Diego southern route should keep you at or below 12,000 feet, be ready for nasty turbulence in New Mexico even if it doesn’t occur. Otherwise take your time and enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

Yeah, just do it. I LOVE the long trips in our Mooney. The longer the better. Remember leaving EDT and going to PDT you'll have an extra 3 hours in the day. And the days are long. Leave before the sun comes up and you'll be having a cocktail overlooking the Pacific that evening.

• Like 1

No one else has said it.  From west Texas on, afternoon turbulence is a near daily thing.  Tends to suck the fun out of a long trip.

Just fly 10,000 feet above the ground and all that uncomfortable air goes away.

When I bought my plane we did a little over 1000nm in a day and it was fun but tired when we arrived. I would split it up into 2 days of flying to get there. Really nothing to gain by trying to push it all into one day of traveling.  I was definitely not as alert when I landed. We flew from KLWM to KORL on day 1

When I bought my plane we did a little over 1000nm in a day and it was fun but tired when we arrived. I would split it up into 2 days of flying to get there. Really nothing to gain by trying to push it all into one day of traveling.  I was definitely not as alert when I landed.

Agreed, but sometimes you’re racing the weather. I definitely don’t make good landings after a long day...generally they’re in the afternoon with more wind that adds to the challenge.

I will add, if you are flying long days at 8k ft or above, use the O2. Most cirrus' have it onboard and it wont make the flight better, but it will make you feel consoderably more awake when you land, and are trying to enjoy the rest of your night.

• Like 1

You could do it comfortably in two days, especially if you have an auto pilot. When we flew from NC back to CA last summer we did it in four, with no auto pilot of even positive control. First day was KJNX (Smithfield, NC) to a fuel stop in KDNL (Augusta, GA) and stopping at KMEI (Meridian, MS). Meridian was possibly the best GA FBO airport we stopped at on our trip. Second day was KMEI to a fuel stop in KCPT (Cleburne, TX by Dallas) and then stopping for the night in KCNM (Carlsbad, NM). I would not wish an overnight in Carlsbad on anyone... Third day was KCNM to KIWA (Mesa, AZ) which was a short day and a stop to visit family. Last day was KIWA back to KFUL (Fullerton, CA), another short day.

We could have easily done it in two days, but we were enjoying the adventure. We didn't start particularly early, and we finished flying by early afternoon. Another three hours or so on each day would have made it a two day trip. 

https://intothesky.us/category/coasttocoast/

If you skip down to Day 9 you can read about our return westbound.