No Airline Service

Due to recent circumstances, major carrier service between Anchorage and popular Kenai, Alaska collapsed. Only one carrier now is flying a Caravan back and forth, every flight full. One of you entrepreneur types can go make a small fortune, out of a big fortune , if you felt foggy. 

Hehe. 

• Haha 1

That situation - the commercial routes to places other than ANC - has been deteriorating for awhile and its a shame.  Used to be you could fly Northwest to Cordova from Minneapolis (where I live, and CDV is my favorite salmon river). NWA had a codeshare arrangement with Alaska so it was all one ticket. There was also a codeshare with ERA Aviation, which flew ANC->CDV, so there were plenty of flights available to CDV and back to ANC. You can do MSP to CDV on one ticket with Alaska now, but the flight schedule is not very good. If you fly Delta (which acquired NWA), which gives you a somewhat better schedule, it has to be two tickets, one for the Delta flight to ANC and one for the Alaska flight ANC->CDV. The schedule has deteriorated so there is only one flight a day out of CDV, no more ERA.  It turns the trip into a two day affair, and with the two ticket thing, if you run into a weather issue you can bet one of the airlines is not going to be helpful.  Just a mess, about half the service there was a decade ago. And that was before COVID.

• Sad 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, Air pirate said:

“There’s a lot of money in aviation... I know I put it there “

How do you make a small fortune in aviation...start with a big one...

Could be an interesting opportunity though...

Part of why GA died was deregulation at the end  of the 70’s.  If you were a business guy and needed to cover territory to see customers then GA was a solid option.  Up until COVID you could fly almost anywhere in the US efficiently and cost effectively thanks to deregulation. 

COVID has changed that some but it is a blip and not a trend.