kx 165 died

My Number 2 nav com, a kx165 has decided to let its display show incomplete numbers. My surmise is that having it repaired is likely impossible or at best economically unfeasible.

My number one is a Garmin 430. All the other instruments are dated, but functional. 

What would you do?

Call Gulf Avionics in Harlingen TX 1-800-801-2329 and ask for Don Wiles. Don recently sold the business but he stayed on part time. He repaired my audio panel when the amp failed and repaired a Narco comm that wouldn’t power up.... He also installed a new display on a buddies Narco comm.

Pretty close to my setup (430W and KX155).  I think the KX155 is the best radio ever built. I'd definitely sink 2AMU to bring it back to life.  I've always wanted a KX165...so, you know what I'd do!

• Like 2

Don,

Mid Continent is an authorized BK shop and repairs their stuff. I've found them very reasonable. Fixed my KAP 150 autopilot controller and bench checked a Garmin nav indicator that turned out to be OK and only charged me return shipping.

Regal Air in Everett WA has a fleet of Cessna 172s with KX 155s and they send everything to Bevan Aviation.

Display retrofit is expensive, but the radios are still solid and repairable.

Skip

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PT20J said:

Display retrofit is expensive, but the radios are still solid and repairable.

Skip

I'm with Skip.  I have a KX-155 that's 30+ years old and the display is on the verge of going out.  $1800-3000 to overhaul and get a new LED display is pretty cheap for a radio that'll most likely last another 30+ years.

• Like 2

Missing segments failure is common on these radios. It can be easily fix by removing very carefully the display from the PCB and bending down the contacts and cleaning them with contact cleaner. This is a very delicate job so make sure you have a magnifying lamp and small tweezers.

Edited by Gagarin
  • Like 3

https://bevanaviation.com/our-company/

Not too far...

Qualified to work on just about everything electronic...

has an MS presence @bevan somewhere..?

LCD panels seem to be a good idea... eliminates the high heat of the original display....

@Alan Fox often has parts, or replacement boxes...

+1 for getting the contacts of the display cleaned... high voltage, sensitive to oxidation....

Old fuzzy PP memories only....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gagarin said:

Missing segments failure is common on these radios. It can be easily fix by removing very carefully the display from the PCB and bending down the contacts and cleaning them with contact cleaner. This is a very delicate job so make sure you have a magnifying lamp and small tweezers.

Have this^^^^^^done before you do anything.

• Like 2

My 1st Com is a GNS430W

My 2nd Com is a KX 155

Each time I have bad reception with the GNS430, the KX155 does the job for me 

the display is the weak point , but BK are still the best COM out there 

• Like 1

Don,

If I remember correctly, you have a 14V electrical system which means your KX-165 is worth a bit more money (even broken).

I personally recommend one of the new Garmin Comm radios.  These days you can get by with just the Nav radio in your GPS.

My train of thought is:

- Pull out the KX-165/Replace with Garmin GTR 225 comm for a modern radio. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/95158

- Pull out the #2 CDI - Reduces weight.

The GTR 225 is just a hair above $2000...

On 7/6/2020 at 12:31 PM, Parker_Woodruff said:

The GTR 225 is just a hair above $2000...

I have it....I use it as my primary even though I have a GTN...just easier to dial in the freq on that radio for some reason....larger display etc...

plus I rather wear out that radio and its controls than my GTN

• Like 1