Avidyne IFD440: no GS on LPV approach

Hi all,

So I did my first LPV approach this morning since I got this shiny new bit of kit.  Approach activated and IFD was showing GPS -> LPV then auto switched over to LPV as expected.  Approaching the FAF I got a lateral deviation indicator on the Aspen but I never got a vertical deviation indicator.  The IFD unit was a slide-in replacement for a non-WAAS GNS430.  I had the GPS circuit breaker replaced (7.5amp) and a WAAS antenna installed.  As I did not previously have WAAS I'm guessing something else needs to be wired up but I can't see anything in the install manual.  Thought I'd ask here before I bug Avidyne support.

check the configuration on the Aspen Main ARINC 429 config page.

Set IN1 to LOW - Honeywell EFIS

Set OUT to LOW - GAMA 429 Graphics w/INT

Set VNAV - Enable Labels (this is probably what needs to be changed)

edit add............. if speed is already set to HI it is working, don't change it to LOW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, Cruiser said:

check the configuration on the Aspen Main ARINC 429 config page.

Set IN1 to LOW - Honeywell EFIS

Set OUT to LOW - GAMA 429 Graphics w/INT

Set VNAV - Enable Labels (this is probably what needs to be changed)

edit add............. if speed is already set to HI it is working, don't change it to LOW. 

If anyone else has the same issue this fixed it.  Autopilot captured the glide slope and flew the LPV approach as expected.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

As is the case many times, there is no specific thread that exactly addresses the questions we have.  This seems the most logical location for my question because I also in the last few days flew my very first LPV approaches with my IFD440 and received no vertical guidance on the approach.  I do know that the GPS said it was in GPS-LPV mode.  At this time I do not have fancy glass panels in my plane (Waiting for the Dynon Autopilot approval) so have a GPS capable CDI.  When I did all my research I was certain to check that the CDI was compatible with the IFD440 and it is.  My CDI is the MD222-406 which has the capability to do vertical guidance but as I am looking at the data online about it there is mention of glideslope, but not LPV.  So unfortunately I am thinking that I made a mistake in assuming that as it is compatible with the IFD440, that it was by default compatible with doing LPV approaches.

Can any of the really smart avionics guru's please confirm if the MD222-406 should be able to give me LPV vertical guidance?  Based on what I am seeing in the plane and upon further review of the paperwork, I don't think it is.  Thanks.

There are a bunch of configuration options in the IFDs and it may just be a box needs to be checked in a configuration item somewhere.   The manuals give pretty good guidance on how to get to them and what they do.   Mine required a bit of configuring to get it to where I expected it to be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

There are a bunch of configuration options in the IFDs and it may just be a box needs to be checked in a configuration item somewhere.   The manuals give pretty good guidance on how to get to them and what they do.   Mine required a bit of configuring to get it to where I expected it to be.

I will second this. The problems I have had with my new IFD/Aspen set up have all been problems with configuration of the products and not the products themselves. After having two Aspen configuration modules replaced, it was determined there was an error in the installation manual and the CMs were doing what they should.

I think the biggest issue would be to find a shop with experience installing the Avidyne products. Like everything else, there is a bit of a learning curve on the first one.

• Like 1

I have found out why I am unable to get vertical guidance on an LPV approach.  The wiring for vertical deviations was never installed. Lucky for me the avionics shop gave me the wiring diagram they used for the set up. With the Mid Continent CDI there were 2 versions listed, one with vertical guidance and one without. They followed the wiring diagram for the CDI without vertical guidance. They used the wrong one.

I have sent an email to the shop along with a picture of the diagram showing they used the wrong information for the CDI. Although the installation was just over a year ago I am hoping they make it right.

Although some may start asking the shop name, let me talk to them first about the situation and see where things go. After all, we are all human and can make a mistake. Additionally, all other work on the plane was spectacular.

• Like 3