Reuse eyeballs

larrynimmo

My long awaiting interior remodel project started today by yanking out all the carpet and plastic panels...after I complete my coating of all steel frame with zinc chromate, I will need to start the reassembly....can anybody tell me if I can reuse my eyeballs, and if so what I need to do....

please help!

0EB08F24-B997-4F88-9C2F-CE3AA09D417C.jpeg

85E127A2-5BB3-48DF-8BF7-22C7DF2D12FE.jpeg

I'm doing the same to my 1994 M20J and I'm almost done putting it back together. 

I didn't mess with the overhead vents. Unless they are not working properly, don't mess with them because Mooney glued everything together. 

Starting somewhere in the mid '80's Mooney began using epoxy primer (off white) on the tubing rather than zinc chromate (green or yellow). Your's looks like it has a combination of both, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Zinc chromate is a hazmat and not nearly so good a corrosion barrier as epoxy. I'd clean up everything and use an epoxy primer. Check the areas behind all the gussets for missed primer from the factory.

The plastic panels are ABS and cracks can be patched with fiberglass cloth and ABS glue. Don't put it on too thick or it softens the plastic. They will look like new if you paint them with SEM. I used Phantom White which is a close match for then beige instrument panels used in later models.

Skip

20 minutes ago, skykrawler said:

What are the thoughts on using Rustoleum products on the tubular structure?  Or on the control tubes for that matter?  My experience is it is durable stuff even when left out in the weather.

You can apply it to control rods for flight controls and landing gear, they can be easily removed and replaced.  On the fuselage tubes you could use it over epoxy primer if you wanted to, but it’s not really necessary.

Clarence

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

I'm doing the same to my 1994 M20J and I'm almost done putting it back together. 

I didn't mess with the overhead vents. Unless they are not working properly, don't mess with them because Mooney glued everything together. 

Starting somewhere in the mid '80's Mooney began using epoxy primer (off white) on the tubing rather than zinc chromate (green or yellow). Your's looks like it has a combination of both, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Zinc chromate is a hazmat and not nearly so good a corrosion barrier as epoxy. I'd clean up everything and use an epoxy primer. Check the areas behind all the gussets for missed primer from the factory.

The plastic panels are ABS and cracks can be patched with fiberglass cloth and ABS glue. Don't put it on too thick or it softens the plastic. They will look like new if you paint them with SEM. I used Phantom White which is a close match for then beige instrument panels used in later models.

Skip

ABS plastic can be patched and sanded, but it does take time.  Buy some ABS sheet. Cut it up and place it in a coffee can with some MEK.  Leave it overnight and it will become a putty consistency of plastic which you can use to patch ABS plastic and sand when dry.

John Breda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

We bought some aerospace grade epoxy paint that worked great if you are not in a hurry.  I think 1 quart with catalyzer was about $115, sot it's a little pricy, but 1 qt. was more than enough.   The stuff smells to high heaven though.  We applied the epoxy paint when we replaced the back windows so at least they were out for added ventilation.

We patched our ABS panels with "plastic grade" epoxy over fiberglass mat after roughing up the back with some coarse sandpaper.  I think the reinforcing is going to promote longevity.   A little coarse Dremel sanding cyl. action on the face, plastic spraypaint, and viola!  Like new.

I was able to cut the black plastic with a Dremil tool and epoxied them to the new panels....very easy...total success

as for painting the pipes There is no doubt that epoxy would be better...my AI told me he wants them painted with zinc chromate.   They weren’t too bad to begin with, and I expect the coating will last 15 years....and I do have an AI that works with me very well

5CD6ADEB-46BB-427D-9FCC-2B747ADAB212.jpeg

Zinc chromate seems to work well with aluminum, the Piper Comanche line is proof.  Corroded airframe tubes should be proof that it doesn’t work as well with 4130 steel tubing.  Mooney recognized it in SB M20-208 and using Epoxy in newer airframes.

Clarence

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

Just show your AI the service bulletin. He’s supposed to follow processes specified by the manufacturer when available. 

The work he described is within preventative maintenance (applying protective coating) but agreed you still have to follow the same standards.  

-Robert