1966 M20E Forever Plane

11 hours ago, EchoMax said:

Even if it were free, N943RC won't be getting A/C anytime soon.  We don't want the extra weight and the decrease in speed and useful load.

Just a couple of additions/corrections.

The A/C unit weighs 42 lb. Not insignificant but also not a tremendous hit. It is truly portable and takes less than 5 minutes to put in or take out of the baggage compartment. Since the weight is in the baggage compartment it moves the CG rearward. An airplane with a rearward CG is actually faster than one with a CG more forward. I've demonstrated this many times with my own airplane with the A/C in and out.

And, the entire reason I went to a Bonanza from a Mooney was the Mooney had insufficient useful load for my needs. I picked up well over 200 lb useful load in the Bonanza.

5 hours ago, KLRDMD said:
17 hours ago, EchoMax said:

Even if it were free, N943RC won't be getting A/C anytime soon.  We don't want the extra weight and the decrease in speed and useful load.

Just a couple of additions/corrections.

The A/C unit weighs 42 lb. Not insignificant but also not a tremendous hit. It is truly portable and takes less than 5 minutes to put in or take out of the baggage compartment. Since the weight is in the baggage compartment it moves the CG rearward. An airplane with a rearward CG is actually faster than one with a CG more forward. I've demonstrated this many times with my own airplane with the A/C in and out.

The 42 lb. A/C unit is removable?! The airplane is faster with the A/C in?! I had no idea! Please disregard my statement above and replace it with the following:

"If it were free, N943RC would definitely be getting A/C.  We don't mind the small extra weight, and can always remove it if we need to. The extra speed is an unexpected bonus."

It's even something to consider at $5K + installation. I wonder why Bob didn't add it? He added or was about to add practically everything else. I'll have to ask Lynn. I'm sure it must have come up for discussion at some point.

1 hour ago, EchoMax said:

The 42 lb. A/C unit is removable?! The airplane is faster with the A/C in?! I had no idea! Please disregard my statement above and replace it with the following:

"If it were free, N943RC would definitely be getting A/C.  We don't mind the small extra weight, and can always remove it if we need to. The extra speed is an unexpected bonus."

It's even something to consider at $5K + installation. I wonder why Bob didn't add it? He added or was about to add practically everything else. I'll have to ask Lynn. I'm sure it must have come up for discussion at some point.

Last year I paid $4,675.00 for the RAC-200-1-12D unit delivered. Then I paid $555.41 for labor and materials to have it "installed." It was $5,230.41 all-in.

Consider starting with the ice box devices... ice, pump, heat exchanger, air fan... really works.

This will give a portable solution to get a feel for how you will use it... before moving to a more permanent solution...

There was a nice aftermarket AC unit being shown at Mooney Summit last year...   details for it are around here somewhere...

AC in a short body would be.... extra cool! :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, HRM said:

As for his E, it is hands down one of the finest E's flying--Bob treated it like his child, lots of mods, flown everywhere regularly, and just a beauty.

Mom/Nancy read this and said, "More like his mistress" ;-) 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, rbridges said:

Takes a lot of extension cord for cross country flights. 

You can do the pattern with a little over 3,000' of cord. Only 4.2 AMU at HF, but the knots and tangles are a bear.

• Haha 1