Spontaneous Landing at JFK Airport

201er

A few weeks ago, flying the Hudson, I ended up making a spontaneous touch and go at Newark International airport. Well, it happened again! This time at JFK!

Yesterday, I was flying the south shore (Coney Island and Rockaway) when I realized how not busy Kennedy Airport was. Now taking off from Linden, Newark was cooking. An almost usual stream of arrivals on the conga line was coming into Newark. I figured my chance to hit the major metro airports might be over. But, the hand off from Newark Tower to Kennedy Tower brought on a different story.

Upon initial contact with Kennedy Tower, I stated "Mooney 4361H, 1400 coming down to 500 for the south short." To which Kennedy responded that I could stay at 1000 since there aren't any arrivals. That got me thinking about a low approach to get a closer look at how busy the airport is (and avoid a landing fee), but Kennedy said I could only do a full-stop taxi-back. Why not!? So I did.

I turned in from the shorline for a 45 left downwind to 31L, the longest runway on the east coast! Spanning 14,500ft it's nearly 3 miles of pavement to land on. Yet, I touched just short of the numbers (cause I wanted to see the numbers in the video as I was landing). When I started in, there wasn't a plane on or near the runway. By the time I was touching down, they had 3 jets waiting for me. Quite an amazing experience.

• Like 10

Nice!

Landing at JFK is cool, but the real thrill is taxiing.  

Back in pre-CoVid January I landed on 31L.  The FBO is at Q1.  Departures were going out on 22R. It took about 40 minutes to get to 22R.  

The flight home to Baltimore was quicker than the taxi time.  

40DEE0F6-462B-459C-803B-C946476D6084.thumb.jpeg.e50b2184dbd5b013c09bebaf85a4ee6d.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Nice!

Landing at JFK is cool, but the real thrill is taxiing.  

Back in pre-CoVid January I landed on 31L.  The FBO is at Q1.  Departures were going out on 22R. It took about 40 minutes to get to 22R.  

The flight home to Baltimore was quicker than the taxi time.  

40DEE0F6-462B-459C-803B-C946476D6084.thumb.jpeg.e50b2184dbd5b013c09bebaf85a4ee6d.jpeg

I spent a week taxing at JFK one day .......:lol:

• Haha 1

Terrific video. That is one heck of a long displaced threshold. Nice job handling that. Also, fun that JFK tower cleared you for the visual when, I assume, you were VFR. Shows how few VFR flights they have.

10 hours ago, cliffy said:

Landed there many times in Boeings  JFK and ORD are where (in the busy times past) the big boys go to play!   :-) :-)

I was #44 in line for T/O once. 

I feel like pax probably dislike seeing a piston single in the queue. 

• Like 1

I feel like pax probably dislike seeing a piston single in the queue. 

Nah, they were too busy making sure their masks weren’t leaking around the edges. We don’t know how lucky we are to be able to fly the country without the stress of knowing not what our fellow passengers are carrying with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, cliffy said:

Landed there many times in Boeings  JFK and ORD are where (in the busy times past) the big boys go to play!   :-) :-)

I was #44 in line for T/O once. 

You needed your "A" game there

Not many (any?) GA airports have a Penalty Box for transgressors to ATC commands !