End of an era

It's hasn't been formally announced yet, but Boeing is going to cease production of the 747. It's been a fantastic run, the first commercial flight taking place in January, 1970. What other airliner has had a 50+ year production run? She will always be the queen of the skies and definitely be missed.

PA_747.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

When I was little my dad used to fly on those things in business class in the 70's and he described hanging out upstairs standing around the piano bar singing along with other jolly business travelers who were not worried about leg room.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

When I was little my dad used to fly on those things in business class in the 70's and he described hanging out upstairs standing around the piano bar singing along with other jolly business travelers who were not worried about leg room.

That was until the bean counters got involved.

• Like 1

Dating myself , but I also remember being upstairs in a 747 bar,  there was even an impromptu crab game happening against the back wall.  Continental used to have “pub flights “ their DC 10’s has a lounge area between first class and Coach,  complete with a bar, cocktail tables ( some with pong games).  If you were in first class , they would mix a ceaser salad and actually cut chateau Briand from a cart.  The “stewardesses “ were all babes in heels , there was a certain amount of panache .

now days airline flights are like pushing cattle down a squeeze chute , a surly “flight attendant “ tossing you a small bag of chips and handing you a half plastic cup of Diet Coke ,  the experience is akin to visiting a proctologist’s named “Dr Hook” 

Edited by Air pirate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

So Air Force 1 will be the last of its line when completed?

My understanding is that they decided against commissioning new aircraft for the presidential transport. They bought two used airframes that had never seen commerical service (so they were mothballed but nearly new - I think they were destined for a Russian airline that ran into financial trouble).

If you ask me, the 747 is the coolest of the large wide body passenger transports. It truly is the queen of the skies. I feel very fortunate to have made many trips around the world in various 747's from many different carriers. I've flow it probably a dozen times in Business class and every single time booked a seat upstairs. 

This was just before backing away from the gate at SFO. I wish I could have sat in that seat the whole trip.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.33e535ab779224b1eb2332ac8daea13b.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

So Air Force 1 will be the last of its line when completed?

Huh _ forgot about that.

Maybe Air Force one will need to be an airbus?!  :-?  or 777?  Maybe they can do something with a C130 Air Force one?  Or I hear the Russians build some pretty large airplanes.  Maybe we can contract a presidential ride from them.  :-O

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you ask me, the 747 is the coolest of the large wide body passenger transports. It truly is the queen of the skies. I feel very fortunate to have made many trips around the world in various 747's from many different carriers. I've flow it probably a dozen times in Business class and every single time booked a seat upstairs. 

This was just before backing away from the gate at SFO. I wish I could have sat in that seat the whole trip.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.33e535ab779224b1eb2332ac8daea13b.jpeg

You missed your calling!  :-)

• Like 1

I had heard they were discontinuing it for passenger services, but keeping it on for cargo service.  Has that changed?  I mean its original design was specifically for cargo service.  The hump exists so that the cargo hold is uninterrupted by that pesky cockpit.  When they marketed it to the commercial passenger market, that's why they came up with piano bars and stuff.  They had an upper deck that they weren't real sure what to do with it.

56 minutes ago, bob865 said:

I had heard they were discontinuing it for passenger services, but keeping it on for cargo service.  Has that changed?  I mean its original design was specifically for cargo service.  The hump exists so that the cargo hold is uninterrupted by that pesky cockpit.  When they marketed it to the commercial passenger market, that's why they came up with piano bars and stuff.  They had an upper deck that they weren't real sure what to do with it.

And what about the dream lifter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Dreamlifter

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

And what about the dream lifter?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Dreamlifter

There are only 4 dreamlifters.  They are all owned by Boeing and operated by Atlas Air for Boeing.  They have never been sold to a customer.  

Boeing 747 Dreamlifter 4 Boeing owned in CMI service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Air

What I'm curious about is are they discontinuing the 747 totally?  Or just as an airliner?  They did just do a big investment on the -800 series of the 747 a while back to take advantages of design improvements developed on the 787.  Seems awfully soon to be eliminating it to me after that kind of investment.  But if the orders aren't there, that would explain it.  Follows suit with the rest of the industry.  Airbus is discontinuing the A380 too.  There just isn't much demand for super massive airliners when smaller craft like the 777 do it far for efficiently and don't need massive runways.  It is more cost effective to buy a few 777s or A350s than a Single 747 or A380.  Plus they can operate out of far more airports.

Just now, bob865 said:

There are only 4 dreamlifters.  They are all owned by Boeing and operated by Atlas Air for Boeing.  They have never been sold to a customer.  

Boeing 747 Dreamlifter 4 Boeing owned in CMI service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Air

I bet if I showed up with a billion dollars and I wanted one, they would make me one.

It would make a terrific platform for a traveling home.  I wonder how many square feet home I could develop it into.  I see something with several levels, but also vaulted ceilings, a spiral stair case and maybe a swimming pool.  And a bowling alley.  Plus a six car garage and I also want some place to bring a helicopter for those short jaunts to the beach from the big airport.  

I guess a horse stable would be too much?

• Haha 2

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I guess a horse stable would be too much?

Funny that you say that.  Just north of me is a major equestrian center.  When they do major horse shows, there will be 747s shows up at GSP that are used as horse stables so the middle eastern princes can bring and show their horses.

9 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Funny that you say that.  Just north of me is a major equestrian center.  When they do major horse shows, there will be 747s shows up at GSP that are used as horse stables so the middle eastern princes can bring and show their horses.

That's what I'm talking about!

13 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Yep, Mom and Dad are a very short drive from the new fancy-schmancy equestrian center. This is the airpprt I use there, although I did divert to GSP one windy day when AVL was fogged in and FQD's weather station was off the air.

20141115_093302.thumb.jpg.170341f61e48f9f8387bf16c59b703d3.jpg.5bf9bd8b9dc2b7c25c61c261fa0ca5f3.jpg

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Yep, Mom and Dad are a very short drive from the new fancy-schmancy equestrian center. This is the airpprt I use there, although I did divert to GSP one windy day when AVL was fogged in and FQD's weather station was off the air.

20141115_093302.thumb.jpg.170341f61e48f9f8387bf16c59b703d3.jpg.5bf9bd8b9dc2b7c25c61c261fa0ca5f3.jpg

Is that 26A along I-26?  My instructor took me up there during my private training to get some "experience" on short fields.

54 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Is that 26A along I-26?  My instructor took me up there during my private training to get some "experience" on short fields.

33A, on I-26 just below the state line. 2770 x 30, beware the church on short final to 14!

5 hours ago, Hank said:

That's why I mentioned that my private 747 dream lifter would have a space to keep my helecopter inside.