Trying to fill portable O2 losing my mind

Finally found a picture! Hey Danb when you coming over to fill up?

f1e1e55236fb0774b873e6e9fab7160e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Question on procedure on filling up a smaller bottle. I’ve had my portable bottle filled up at FBO’s over the years but I think it’s time to get a set up like yours. Do you just hook the small tank up and open up the bottles and let the pressure neutralize? I know my small tank will get warm and holds the pressure longer we leave it hooked up and cools down.

Anything I want to make sure I don’t do, other than the grease and fire concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Question on procedure on filling up a smaller bottle. I’ve had my portable bottle filled up at FBO’s over the years but I think it’s time to get a set up like yours. Do you just hook the small tank up and open up the bottles and let the pressure neutralize? I know my small tank will get warm and holds the pressure longer we leave it hooked up and cools down.

Anything I want to make sure I don’t do, other than the grease and fire concern?

No, there's a cascade method that lets you cycle out the least full source tank first rather than them all limiting how much pressure you can fill to.   The idea is to fill with the lowest pressure (most empty) source cylinder first, then turn it off and open the next (middle) one, and when that has equalized turn it off and open the last (highest pressure) tank and equalize the destination tank to that.   That gets you to the pressure of the fullest tank and  you can cycle out one source tank when it gets too low to fill with, move the others down the order, and put a fresh tank in the highest pressure spot.

Just search on cascade fill system or gas cascade filling or something like that.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 3

No, there's a cascade method that lets you cycle out the least full source tank first rather than them all limiting how much pressure you can fill to.   The idea is to fill with the lowest pressure (most empty) source cylinder first, then turn it off and open the next (middle) one, and when that has equalized turn it off and open the last (highest pressure) tank and equalize the destination tank to that.   That gets you to the pressure of the fullest tank and  you can cycle out one source tank when it gets too low to fill with, move the others down the order, and put a fresh tank in the highest pressure spot.

Just search on cascade fill system or gas cascade filling or something like that.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Well I put together a very crude transfer station tonight just to make sure I had the capability. And filled my portable tank. Now to get some K bottles and work something up like Marauder. I used welding oxygen and I’m sure that is what I’ve always got at FBO’s but is the consensus ABO is a waste of money? The Norco rep was preaching I purchased ABO, but just wanted to make sure it’s really not needed. If anyone comes through KGCD and needs their O2 filled up hit me up...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...