Trying to fill portable O2 losing my mind

I've called every single gas company and fire extinguisher company I can find in the area and no one will fill this portable O2 tank I have.  They throw their hands up because oxygen requires a prescription.  Would anyone possibly know who would actually fill this thing a reasonable distance from KTUL/KXNA/KLIT/KMEM and how much it would cost?  Or maybe even up in Denver area when I head that way this summer? I'd like to try it out before then, but at this point I think I'll take whatever lead I can get.

I had my physician give me a prescription.   I have had mine filled at local welding suppliers. I have also used fbo’s.  In the Fort Smith area, the fob across the street from Home Depot.  Fob are more expensive.    

I have a 2 place system that I would like to sell also.

Ron

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ron McBride said:

I had my physician give me a prescription.   I have had mine filled at local welding suppliers. I have also used fbo’s.  In the Fort Smith area, the fob across the street from Home Depot.  Fob are more expensive.    

I have a 2 place system that I would like to sell also.

Ron

The weld suppliers I've called locally won't do it either.  I just scheduled an appointment with my doc to hopefully get a prescription.  If this is the path of least resistance so be it.  I just hope it doesn't have some silly repercussion like an insurance company wondering why I have an oxygen prescription. 

The weld suppliers I've called locally won't do it either.  I just scheduled an appointment with my doc to hopefully get a prescription.  If this is the path of least resistance so be it.  I just hope it doesn't have some silly repercussion like an insurance company wondering why I have an oxygen prescription. 

Time to build your own...

I would always answer the “is it for medical use?” with a no answer. The last time before I built my transfill system, they tore off all of the Aerox labels and put their labels on. I suspect to make it look like a baby welding bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14 minutes ago, The Other Red Baron said:

Why did the welding suppliers decline?   

Just now, Marauder said:

Time to build your own...

I would always answer the “is it for medical use?” with a no answer. The last time before I built my transfill system, they tore off all of the Aerox labels and put their labels on. I suspect to make it look like a baby welding bottle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ha, well if I knew I would be using it a lot I'd really consider building my own but I just don't know how much I'll use it.  We'll see...

They don't even ask about medical they just shut me down the second I mention oxygen.  I didn't expect this much of a challenge.  I guess I don't know the secret handshake. 

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Why did the welding suppliers decline?   

I think they hit me with the prescription line as well but I don't remember why exactly.  Maybe I need to say "O2" instead of oxygen or there is some tone in my voice they're picking up on? I have no clue why they're shutting me down.  I don't say anything about medical, or aviation, or anything I just ask for a simple oxygen fill on a portable tank and they say "nope."

@The Other Red Baron I had the same troubles as you and randomly stumbled across an oxygen supply place where I get my portable filled.

The medical places will generally require a script, so you'll need to focus on places that focus on industrial -- welding/supply/etc and ideally if they keep inventory. Over the phone to these folks you're not quite the customer they want, but if you show up with bottle in hand, often times you can reach agreement. I'd suggest you dig around for an O2 supply company and show up and have the conversation.

Not that it helps you greatly, but here is where I get mine done -- check out the photo and see if you can find a similar looking place.

5 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

@The Other Red Baron I had the same troubles as you and randomly stumbled across an oxygen supply place where I get my portable filled.

The medical places will generally require a script, so you'll need to focus on places that focus on industrial -- welding/supply/etc and ideally if they keep inventory. Over the phone to these folks you're not quite the customer they want, but if you show up with bottle in hand, often times you can reach agreement. I'd suggest you dig around for an O2 supply company and show up and have the conversation.

Not that it helps you greatly, but here is where I get mine done -- check out the photo and see if you can find a similar looking place.

You're probably right I think just showing up would win the battle.  Just trying to avoid driving all over creation to get this done.

10 minutes ago, steingar said:

What's the big deal with getting a script?  Call your doc, tell him what you need and why.  I can't imagine a doc not writing it.

I think he'd probably write it but I don't want this to bite me in the ass down the road as health and insurance keep sharing data and god knows what they come up with to deny you coverage, life insurance, etc...

Just now, The Other Red Baron said:

I think he'd probably write it but I don't want this to bite me in the ass down the road as health and insurance keep sharing data and god knows what they come up with to deny you coverage, life insurance, etc...

I suspect perhaps you're being a bit over paranoid.  Mrs. Steingar has had a raft of health issues and we've yet to be denied anything.  I get offers of life insurance, but I've always thought that a fool's bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Other Red Baron said:

Ha, well if I knew I would be using it a lot I'd really consider building my own but I just don't know how much I'll use it.  We'll see...

They don't even ask about medical they just shut me down the second I mention oxygen.  I didn't expect this much of a challenge.  I guess I don't know the secret handshake. 

I have a 3 tank system in my hangar. There are 5 of us in the "O2 Pool" (1 Bravo owner, 1 J owners, 2 F owners and a pilot who we think likes to suck down O2). We elected to do rent versus buy cylinders and get stuck with the rental & "hazmat" fees for having the cylinders. The O2 by itself is really cheap. So, if you can get a couple of people interested, it is not a big deal to have them refill the big cylinders so you can refill your smaller ones.

I think why these gas companies are getting more tight on their controls is because it is clear these small tanks are not likely to be used for welding. There is a liability to dispatching O2 for medicinal usage and I am sure that plays into it. I also wonder if the COVID situation isn't playing into this somehow. Oh wait! More fake news!

So, the welding shop guy where I get my supply bottle filled, put his hands on his ears and said “NA NA NA don’t tell me you are breathing it” to which I said “who said anything about breathing? It’s for my welder!, but fill it from the manifold” to which he replied “Gotcha, I’ll fill your welding bottle from the manifold during tomorrow mornings run” 

• Like 1

If you can find the gas plant that does ABO,  they will fill it with ABO. It costs more because they have to test it. But it doesn’t need a prescription.

Strange that the dive shops won’t fill it. They make nitrox for breathing without a prescription.

If all else fails you could go to your local welding shop and buy a portable oxyacetylene welding kit from them.  Set up an account with them.  You are now in the system and can do an O2 cylinder swap with no issues.  You also have a gas welding and cutting torch tool that really comes in handy at times.

Maybe I missed this...but are you looking to fill a medical oxygen cylinder (like this photo) or a typical welding cylinder?  The medical cylinders aren't used for welding, so you won't pass their sniff test if you tell them you're welding with it.  I exchange mine at a medical supply place, which they'll do with my PPL certificate.  Of course, I haven't since last year so maybe things are tighter now with the covid?

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.38.42 AM.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Maybe I missed this...but are you looking to fill a medical oxygen cylinder (like this photo) or a typical welding cylinder?  The medical cylinders aren't used for welding, so you won't pass their sniff test if you tell them you're welding with it.  I exchange mine at a medical supply place, which they'll do with my PPL certificate.  Of course, I haven't since last year so maybe things are tighter now with the covid?

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 11.38.42 AM.png

Yep that's exactly what I've got.  Came with the plane we purchased I was hoping to just use what I've got.  (Not sure how the previous owners filled it.)  I wonder if I can pull the PPL trick here..

Find someone on your field that has a large tank they use to fill their own. The fittings and tubing to transfill are very cheap.

Or come to my hangar and I will do it for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Find someone on your field that has a large tank they use to fill their own. The fittings and tubing to transfill are very cheap.

Or come to my hangar and I will do it for you.

I'm asking around not optimistic though.

Wife would love an excuse to go to Dallas.  Thank you for the offer.  :D

53 minutes ago, V1VRV2 said:

I hope everyone is using aviators oxygen. It has no moisture which could freeze on the valve blocking oxygen flow. Just checking! :D

Water in non-aviation O2 is an OWT.  I believe the recommended maximum allowable moisture concentration in medical O2 is 67 parts per million by volume. (-45 °C dew point).  While it's a bit higher than aviator O2 at -65C, it's extremely unlikely to freeze & block flow at M20E altitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, V1VRV2 said:

I hope everyone is using aviators oxygen. It has no moisture which could freeze on the valve blocking oxygen flow. Just checking! :D

All oxygen these days comes from evaporated liquid oxygen. Any moisture settles to the bottom of the LOx tank and looks like sand. The oxygen is super dry.

I asked the guy down at the gas plant about testing ABO. I asked if a tank ever failed the test. He said "Not in the 30 years I've been doing them" He had about 30 ABO cylinders to fill the day I was there. Most were from the Air Force Base.

BTW, the ABO comes out of the same pipe as the medical oxygen and the welding oxygen comes from a different leg, but from the same source. If you make friends with the guys there, they will fill your "welding" tank from the same outlet as the ABO.

• Like 3