Bravo Alternator

Davidv

It looks like I need to replace my left alternator.  Based on parts availability I think that I’m looking at a rebuild.  Has anyone done this recently and have a recommendation on the best option?  If a new or refurbished one was available that would be preferable so I don’t have to drop the plane off for a week.

I was reading an older Bravo thread where someone else replaced it with a plane power but I’m not sure if there is an STC or that would be easy/cost effective?

Thanks.

When I did a top end overhaul and the airplane was down I sent both of my alternators to Aero Accessories in Van Nuys CA and they did a great job at a reasonable price. If I remember correctly about $350 each. Since it is a hard job to replace the alternator on a Lycoming (you have to remove the prop), if your alternators are the same age I would recommend overhauling both alternators and replacing both belts at the same time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Cline said:

I just did this three weeks ago.  I went with Aircraft Spruce.  Below is the bill:

1 0 1 07-19055 ES4009LS O/H FALCON ES SMALL FORD BELT ALT 28V/70A 376.000 376.00
1 0 1 07-19013 FALCON ALTERNATOR CORE 200.00 200.000 200.00
Subtotal: USD 576.00

I sent the bad one back to them and got my $200 back.  Had to swap out the pully.     

Great, thanks.  So when you installed it everything worked fine? I’m replacing my left one, was that the same for you?

Yup, me too, looks like plane power doesn’t make one for the double alternator set up. Last question, so they sent you one, swapped it out and then sent back yours? I only ask because they say no stock on spruce and not sure if they said that when you ordered it as well...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Montreal said:

@Davidv how did this go for you. Did you send off to Aero Accessories or what was your solution? AS shows no stock as of today also. 

They have showed no stock for at least four years. That's why I sent mine off to Aero Accessories and had them back in a little over a week. 

• Like 1