Tank being stripped and resealed at Wet-wingologists

BillC

Flew my Ovation to KFXE for a wing seep in right wing. Spoke with Edison. Nice guy. Made the trip from KBKV (Brooksville, Fl) to KFXE (Fort Lauderdale, Fl) in 1:11 at 9000’!  ATC moved a twin Cessna out of my way...lol. It took 11 hours to get home by train and taxi. No flights to Tampa until late night.  Man, I love my Ovation.

• Like 1

In Florida it's pretty cheap just to rent a car one-way and drop it when you get there.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.38.58 AM.png

Or keep it for the week and return it when you pick up the airplane. The one way drop would work to get back to FXE also and no worries about people on the train.

• Like 1

Well it seemed like a simple choice to let Amtrak do the driving and Uber home from Tampa but it didn’t work out that way. No Wi-fi on the train although they advertise they have it. It made the trip much more difficult to take with no entertainment on my iPad. I also had to walk to a Publix supermarket to use their Wi-fi to order a Uber ride because Amtrak has no Wi-fi even in the terminal. Next purchase is a smart phone and get rid of the old ‘ pay as you go’ flip phone I use for emergencies.

Also, Amtrak requires all riders on Amtrak property  to wear face masks. The seating is spread out so you have no riders near you. All in all it would have been better to rent a car and drive home. Lesson learned.

16 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Plenty of us Mooney people at FXE, I’m sure one of us would be happy to give you a ride!  Reach out when you pick it up...

Thank you David. The return trip should be easy.. Fingers crossed. There is an early morning flight from Tampa to FLL. for about $38.00 US. Then a quick taxi to FXE. but thanks for the offer.

Just now, BillC said:

Thank you David. The return trip should be easy.. Fingers crossed. There is an early morning flight from Tampa to FLL. for about $38.00 US. Then a quick taxi to FXE. but thanks for the offer.

Ok great, that’s hard to beat! With @Gagarin’s long range tanks I can just about make it to Tampa and back (self deprecating Bravo owner joke when speaking with Ovation owner).

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

May I ask please, what prompted a complete tank strip and reseal?  Multiple repeated leaks, seaps, weaps? 

Also, what vintage is your beautiful Ovation please?

Thank you.

Hi Mitch,

I decided to strip and reseal both tanks because there was a seep in the right wing. Just started a few days ago. Edison gives a 7 year warranty on all  strip and reseals. And it’s transferable to a new owner. My Ovation is a 97. At that age it’s only a matter of time before it would develop a seep or worse in the left tank. 

65CEE2DA-0EBD-4F35-87C7-180F313F092C.jpeg

Just now, BillC said:

Hi Mitch,

I decided to strip and reseal both tanks because there was a seep in the right wing. Just started a few days ago. Edison gives a 7 year warranty on all  strip and reseals. And it’s transferable to a new owner. My Ovation is a 97. At that age it’s only a matter of time before it would develop a seep or worse in the left tank. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Not sure if you've heard Jose, nobody rides the train. Especially in Florida.

I hadn’t heard. I  can see why. Hardly anyone on the train. I thought it might be enjoyable to see the countryside out the big windows....NOT. The train stops quite often and continually blows the horn at crossings every few minutes. Not very restful.  70 years old and still learning..lol  At least I can say it’s one more adventure I’ve done.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BillC said:

Well it seemed like a simple choice to let Amtrak do the driving and Uber home from Tampa but it didn’t work out that way. No Wi-fi on the train although they advertise they have it. It made the trip much more difficult to take with no entertainment on my iPad. I also had to walk to a Publix supermarket to use their Wi-fi to order a Uber ride because Amtrak has no Wi-fi even in the terminal. Next purchase is a smart phone and get rid of the old ‘ pay as you go’ flip phone I use for emergencies.

Also, Amtrak requires all riders on Amtrak property  to wear face masks. The seating is spread out so you have no riders near you. All in all it would have been better to rent a car and drive home. Lesson learned.

No WiFi hotspot on your phone?

Just now, Shadrach said:

No WiFi hotspot on your phone?

I’ve got an old ‘pay as you go’ flip phone. I have it for emergencies. So, no smart phone. I wouldn’t have needed one if Amtrak had WI-fi for my iPad like they promised. 

I gave up the flip phone a while back.  The smartphones are expensive, but they do cool tricks.  Turns out I now need it for my job!  A good idea to use those guys, I've never heard of an aircraft done by them leaking.

3 hours ago, BillC said:

Hi Mitch,

Bill I’m probably going  to be making the trek to Lauderdale here in the next year or two for my 98 bravo. I’ve had a couple of patches, but I think it’s getting to be time. Have a little weep on the left side right now that I will probably let Joe Cole patch this coming annual. If you don’t mind me asking, what is the approximate damage for the complete strip and reseal? 

Off topic.... Bill you can a StraightTalk iPhone 6S at Walmart for $149 which is a good deal. Not “state of the art” but much much better than the current phone situation. You can also get a monthly plan with hotspot for $59. They also have cheaper plans. Pay as you go.

Edited by V1VRV2

4 hours ago, BillC said:

When I picked up my C from Edison in 2010, that "quick taxi" cost $38 plus tip . . . . But I was on the twice-a-week Allegiant flight from West-by-Gawd, Virginny, making it much more difficult to bum a ride . . . .

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

When I picked up my C from Edison in 2010, that "quick taxi" cost $38 plus tip . . . . But I was on the twice-a-week Allegiant flight from West-by-Gawd, Virginny, making it much more difficult to bum a ride . . . .

With Uber or Lyft prices are much more friendly. 

8 hours ago, BillC said:

Flew my Ovation to KFXE for a wing seep in right wing. Spoke with Edison. Nice guy. Made the trip from KBKV (Brooksville, Fl) to KFXE (Fort Lauderdale, Fl) in 1:11 at 9000’!  ATC moved a twin Cessna out of my way...lol. It took 11 hours to get home by train and taxi. No flights to Tampa until late night.  Man, I love my Ovation.

That's too bad for a simple seep it ended up being a nuclear solution of a reseal. The rest of the tank must have been in really bad shape.

-Robert

35 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

That's too bad for a simple seep it ended up being a nuclear solution of a reseal. The rest of the tank must have been in really bad shape.

-Robert

No, it wasn’t that bad but certainly showing it’s age. It’s 23 years old. If one tank starts seeping from age the other is soon to follow. In my previous Mooney J model I kept chasing seeps by patching but ultimately it’s a losing battle.