Which airplane canvas cover?

ToddCC22

I just got my refurbished 252 encore and keep it hangered but travel ~20 weekends a year that it will be outside. What are everybody’s thoughts on covers for traveling?  Lightweight? Standard cover with the microfiber to keep from scratching thing up?  Integral engine cover to not need the cowl plugs?  Other thoughts?

Your plane and avionics are such a beauty, it might behoove you to see if you can strike up a deal with the national FBO's for your schedule to hangar, Todd. That peace of mind will keep you focused when you need to be, not worrying about what that gust front will do to N252TG. Captain will cover it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ToddCC22 said:

I just got my refurbished 252 encore and keep it hangered but travel ~20 weekends a year that it will be outside. What are everybody’s thoughts on covers for traveling?  Lightweight? Standard cover with the microfiber to keep from scratching thing up?  Integral engine cover to not need the cowl plugs?  Other thoughts?

Agree with @mike_elliott and @ArtVandelay.  Although I carry a cover when I travel (lined appropriately with material that won't scratch paint or plexiglas), I only use it where necessary for stops where I don't expect to be spending the night.

Do you really want to protect a ~$50 - $100 per night hangar charge with your $100,000+ airplane?

Steve

I use one from Bruce’s when I travel, not the cheapest but I’ve heard it will hold up well over the years...

However, I don’t spend as much time away as you do.

Edited by Davidv

4 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Agree with @mike_elliott and @ArtVandelay.  Although I carry a cover when I travel (lined appropriately with material that won't scratch paint or plexiglas), I only use it where necessary for stops where I don't expect to be spending the night.

Do you really want to protect a ~$50 - $100 per night hangar charge with your $100,000+ airplane?

Steve

I’ll make a habit of looking for hanger space for overnights.  Still would like to have what I need for outside storage if Necessary. Good point of covers for the control surfaces. 
Thanks for the input. 

Been outside with my Bruce’s cover for 20 years. Just finally replaced radios because I wanted an upgrade but the old ones were working. Explain what the issue is being outside? Whatever it is it takes more than 20 years to appear. My friend owns a flight school and he has planes that have been outside since the 60’s. Not found an issue. 

-Robert 

• Like 1

I hangar it if there is a risk of hail but leave it outside with my Bruce's cover otherwise when away from home. The cover was purchased by the first owner (it's a '94 J and I'm owner #3). The cover is in great shape -- I don't think it was used much. But the second owner installed a 406 MHz ELT and the antenna wasn't accommodated for by the cover. I contacted Bruce's and they took it back and added a provision for the antenna at no charge. That's pretty good customer service. 

As a side note, I used to enjoy flying down to Morgan Hill, CA for dinner at the Flying Lady restaurant owned by Irv Perch, Bruce's father, and named for Bruce's mother who was an avid pilot. Irv had quite a collection of old airplanes and cars in a barn and would gladly show you around. Irv's property included an adjoining golf course and Irv had one fairway made long and straight enough to serve as a grass runway. They would use it to fly his Ford Trimotor out to the Watsonville airshow every year. Fun times.

Skip

I have one from Bruce’s and one from www.airplane-covers.com. I like the latter better. I also highly recommend to spend a few dollars extra to have them install a door flap. You will invariably have some reason to get into your plane after covering it at some point and if you’re on the ramp somewhere in high winds, being able to unclip and unvelcro a section to open the door is absolutely worth it. I also went with the cheaper material on that cover since it is only used occasionally. One advantage that I didn’t anticipate is that it takes up a lot less space and weighs less.