What is your sweet spot altitude (for best TAS)

Best TAS is sea level.
Best TAS at 75HP is at 8000’.

From the J POH.

What’s interesting is the speeds for at 8000’ for both best power (12.6 gph) and economy cruise (10.8 gph) are the same, both 75% HP.

Oh, their economy cruise is 25° ROP.

Apparently LOP wasn’t an option back in 1977.

8 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

It also means you’re not going to make book speeds if you fly LOP, because they’re not in the book. :-)

Doesn't that give you bragging rights for "better than Book speeds"?  :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cliffy said:

So the title of this thread is below

What is your sweet spot altitude (for best TAS)

And I'm going to assume in cruise conditions

It has nothing to do with winds, Ground speeds or O2

The question is - What is the best altitude for TRUE AIRSPEED in a normally aspirated engine Mooney

He flies an E model

I think you are going to find that it is right near where max MP equals 75% HP so you can lean effectively to be near

MAX POWER fuel flow (say 50 to 100 degrees rich of peak EGT ) and MAX RPM ( which can be done in cruise) 

Can anyone guess that altitude?   :-)

I'll wait

The POH for my 68F says the fastest TAS is found at 2500’ MSL on a standard day.  2700rpm, 27.5” mp, 98% hp, 180mph.  Not sure anyone is actually gonna run that and have their engine survive for long.  Sea level and 5,000’ charts show slightly slower at 2700rpm and full power.

For 75%, the same POH shows 171mph at 10,000’msl, 2600rpm, 73.6% power.  That’s about the fastest one I’ve found at 75%power.  If you have cool weather, it’s reasonably fast up high, but loses speed quickly as it warms up and density altitude increases.

In my experience with realistic power settings, ~6,5000-7,500’ is your best bet.

7 hours ago, chrixxer said:

8,000' AGL? So, departing Flagstaff, I'd want to be at ~16,000' MSL? 

Chrix,

you caught me!

:)

I forgot that some people fly over areas that are above Sea Level...

I’m pretty sure that was an attempt at selecting the best compromise between power and drag for Mooneys with NA engines...

Which typically occurs near a DA of 8k’ msl.

of course, I prefer higher altitudes for that extra extended glide safety...  proper Parallel parking a Long Body on a city street is going to be slightly more space constrained than other fine Mooneys...

I prefer things like 12.5k’ MSL and 11.5k’ MSL coming and going from here...

Thanks for pointing that out, and nice to see you... :)

By the way...‘94 Os have LOP numbers in the POH... it was acceptable for Continentals at least that far back...

Best regards,

-a-

We just took a fairly long trip last week:  https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N468W/history/20200708/1410Z/KBAK/KLNK

My fuel burns for the first three legs were 35.14, 33.5, 32.25 gallons. (I have not refueled for leg #4, but it will be 33-35 gallons.)  I ran ROP at 2500 rpm and WOT at both altitudes, yielding 20.4" at 11,000' and 22" at 8,000'.  Some knucklehead mounted my outside air temperature probe on the engine cowling, so its accuracy is poor, to say the least.

You can judge for yourself...

3 hours ago, bonal said:

At 10500 WOT 2500 this calcs out to around 145 knots.  Pretty amazing for 180 horsepower 

image.jpeg

No matter what, that’s definitely amazing.  Good speed at 10,500’.  Just be careful trusting the 50 year old pitot system to be accurate.  The poh has a ~4 mph subtraction to get from IAS to CAS and that doesn’t even account for airspeed indicator errors.  The best way is to do a good 3 way groundspeed run and enter it in an online calculator.  If you do this a few times you’ll get a feeling for how close your IAS is, but it’s likely showing faster than actual.  As I said though, impressive no matter what!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bonal said:

Three way GPS at 8000 produced 148 knots with two on board. But 5500 yielded around 154. If I'm pushing its pretty easy to get it into the yellow arc.

image.jpeg

That is good speed... how much power was that?  Greater than 75% I would think?

I used to think the safe number was 47 not 46 so that was 2500 and 22 and since it's a C with only the single EGT I can only go by the lean to rough then rich to smooth so no real idea how rich of peak that is.  I've only ever managed to get it to LOP once what a magical moment. I normally fly much easier like 2400 20 which yields around 135 knots but was fun to stretch it out.  AI is about 2mph fast based on GPS runs. Most likely higher than 75% on those flights. For me it's all based on OAT cause Snoopy likes cold air.  Biggest challenge is keeping things cool up front.

• Like 3