M20C Grass Takeoff

Rspencer612

17 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Nice...and that looked like it was uphill, even.  The takeoff roll seemed quite short.  And getting the gear up quickly is a nice touch. :D

First 1/3 of the runway is uphill, and I would estimate about 800ft ground roll. It performs very well!  Since we live here my wife catches most my landing and takeoffs, so I will likely lit them on my YouTube channel there.  Good and bad  haha!

I love how fast the Johnson bar gear retracts, I have become a huge fan of it and the flaps on the Mooney!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wcb said:

Welcome aboard!  Would love to see more pics of your bird and that Q-tip prop.  The vid looks it is a nicely moded C.  

It certainly has a few mods. IO-360 conversion and cowling, precise flight speed brakes, a few speed mods, dual aspens, GTN750, stec55x. Really enjoying it!

C94EF3BD-9F53-4C90-9CD3-B3E321674361.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rspencer612 said:

It certainly has a few mods. IO-360 conversion and cowling, precise flight speed brakes, a few speed mods, dual aspens, GTN750, stec55x. Really enjoying it!

C94EF3BD-9F53-4C90-9CD3-B3E321674361.jpeg

That is not a C anymore for sure it is a SUPER C!  In-fact many would argue that Mooney should consider basically making your plane as one of their models off of the line.  NICE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wcb said:

That is not a C anymore for sure it is a SUPER C!  In-fact many would argue that Mooney should consider basically making your plane as one of their models off of the line.  NICE

I like that, a SUPER C!  It’s sure super to us. A great performer!  I’ve sure fallen for it!  My boys have named him “Doc Zoomey”. Therapeutic fast and fun!  Haha

Careful with the polished propeller, as that is not an approved finish on most propellers, especially aluminum.   The FAA has busted people on this before, so just fyi.   Check your propeller manual, but it will probably say it needs to be painted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, EricJ said:

Careful with the polished propeller, as that is not an approved finish on most propellers, especially aluminum.   The FAA has busted people on this before, so just fyi.   Check your propeller manual, but it will probably say it needs to be painted.

It’s how I purchased the airplane!  Ill

have to look into it.......been signed off by both A&P’s and prop shop.......

On 7/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, Greg_D said:

Glad you took it to Don's and super glad that he found the issue with the gascolator.  What's wrong  with the autopilot?

Glad he found that issue as well, but sadly wasn’t my best experience overall so I have changed maintenance locations.  Looked like previous A&P’s signing off the annuals weren’t removing the gascolator and inspecting.  SAD

Autopilot needed rebuilt, which STEC did, but a fantastic avionics shop locally tells me the wiring wasn’t done correctly. So while GPSS works, Alt hold and VS work, anytime it gets a non GPSS signal, like a Nav, VOR, ILS ect, it tracks backwards getting worse and worse. Wired backwards. Honestly the Aspens, 750, and Stec wiring is all suspect that it wasn’t done correctly, so after annual next week, it will go back in and get rewired CORRECTLY!  

8 hours ago, Rspencer612 said:

It’s how I purchased the airplane!  Ill

have to look into it.......been signed off by both A&P’s and prop shop.......

For aluminum propellers my understanding is that the concern is that corrosion pitting can lead to a stress crack.   Props are the most stressed component on the airplane, so it is potentially an issue.   Most polished propellers have steel blades, which are quite a bit stronger.

An A&P can repaint it easily.   There's usually guidance in the manual regarding what paint to use.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 7:29 PM, EricJ said:

I thought it was chromed props that were disallowed vs. polished aluminum. But I don't know, my prop is gray with white stripes on front and flat black on the back. 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I thought it was chromed props that were disallowed vs. polished aluminum. But I don't know, my prop is gray with white stripes on front and flat black on the back. 

The manual for the prop should provide the proper guidance.    I just checked mine and it says, "Propeller blades are painted with a durable specialized coating that is resistant to abrasion. If this coating becomes eroded, it is necessary to repaint the blades to provide proper corrosion and erosion protection. Painting should be performed by an appropriately licensed propeller repair facility in accordance with Hartzell Propeller Inc. Manual 202A (61-01-02)."

So at least in the case for my prop I was wrong that an A&P can do it, as this says it has to go to the prop shop if more than touch-up is required.

Touch-up painting is allowed in my manual with a couple pages regarding prep, etc., including a conversion coating (e.g., Alodine 1201, which is now Bonderite 1201). 

Whether repainting a bare prop back is "touch up" or rises to the level of needing to go to the prop shop might be a call the IA needs to make.  ;)