fuel level sender change out to Cies

need advise for ovation 99  fuel sender change out from resistive sender to a cies sender, installed is a JPI 900 unit, can this unit use digital cies probes or does have to be resistive and what changes has to be done to JPI unit. is a adapter box required

1 minute ago, flysamo said:

need advise for ovation 99  fuel sender change out from resistive sender to a cies sender, installed is a JPI 900 unit, can this unit use digital cies probes or does have to be resistive and what changes has to be done to JPI unit. is a adapter box required

The current EDM900's can use either digital or resistive CiES senders. But it needs to be configured for the correct senders. Chances are that you could install the resistive senders and be good to go. (This is what is in my 252). But if you're doing the work, it might be better to go digital and at the same time send the EDM900 back to JPI for a firmware change to support it. I think there is a charge for that though. 

Talking to JPI would be appropriate.

• Like 1

How old is the JPI 900? At some I would suspect they started shipping unit’s with the required firmware.

I would recommend as Paul suggested that you go with the frequency mode. This will require a special cable.

I created a CiES thread about the process. I will look for it and post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Did this a couple weeks ago.  It depends on how old your 900 is.  Mine already had the necessary firmware (~2 yrs old) and all they had to do was wire it up and switch the config over to frequency based.

Same with me. I called CiES and they advised me based on the age of my JPI900

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I made the switch about a year and a half ago. Unit had to go in to JPI and came back looking new. My unit was about 8 years old by the time it went in. Newer units, I guess, can use the frequency based probes but the older ones need to be changed. Probably serial number based.  JPI has been very slow during the COVID shutdown, so I would check with them to see how long it might take. The charge was nominal, maybe $350, I don’t really remember.