Received FAA Letter - ADSB Failure

On 7/6/2020 at 7:19 AM, 59Moonster said:

@MikeOH Did you run those tests initially once it was installed and saw that they passed? Or has it not been configured properly from the start?

It passed its initial test after proper configuration with no issues.  I still have that PAPR report.  Thing is, I never checked again...and, when I went back and looked after receiving the FAA letter, I found it was failing the Mode 3A as far back as March for EVERY flight I checked!

6 hours ago, 59Moonster said:

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/#g5

Can I get a one-time deviation from the requirement?

The ADS-B Out rule allows a mechanism for pilots/operators without ADS-B Out equipment installed to request ATC authorization to deviate from the rule to access ADS-B Out rule airspace. The FAA published a policy in 2019 with guidance on how controllers will handle these aircraft. The policy is clear that unequipped aircraft cannot expect uninterrupted access to ADS-B airspace. The FAA continues to work on the implementation of this policy and authorization request mechanism.

The FAA encourages owners to equip as soon as possible to capture the benefits of ADS-B and to ensure they will be able to access all available airspace once the mandate becomes effective in 2020.

****somewhere on that page****

The ADS-B Out rule does not apply in the airspace defined in items 2 and 4 above for any aircraft not originally certificated with an electrical system or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. For additional requirements for using the exception for item 4, please refer to CFR 91.225 section (d) for the requirements.

I know the reg.  I was asking Chris to provide the reg stating that it was a "One time exception".   I was confident that that statement did not exist within the reg when I asked the question.  While it's well understood that the FAA does not want aircraft based with in mode C rings to use the waiver as a permanent solution the waiver does not exist as a one time exception.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I am not a fan of the tail beacon. I know of at least two owners that are challenged by their decision to install a TailBeacon.  The location is sub optimal for both receiving GPS Data from Satellites above and broadcasting down to ADS-b Stations on the ground.  Much better to have a dedicated GPS antenna receiving on the top of the fuselage and a dedicated ADS-b antenna on the belly broadcasting below.

Well, I'm willing to expend some effort to save multi-thousands of dollars. Time will tell, but as airplane 'fixes' go, this was a no-cost and quick 'repair.'. If I have to re-tune a few times a year (which I doubt) it's not going to kill me.

I've made a half-dozen flights since the adjustment and they've all been perfect.

All in, tax and installation, was under $2300.  At that price I'm still a BIG fan. The uAvionix support was immediate, effective, and NO cost.

<sarcasm on> I'm just sure that no one has ever had a problem with any of the other manufacturers' ADSB-out solutions, and if they did the installer surely turned the fix around in a day at no cost to the owner <sarcasm off>

Just now, MikeOH said:

Well, I'm willing to expend some effort to save multi-thousands of dollars. Time will tell, but as airplane 'fixes' go, this was a no-cost and quick 'repair.'. If I have to re-tune a few times a year (which I doubt) it's not going to kill me.

I've made a half-dozen flights since the adjustment and they've all been perfect.

All in, tax and installation, was under $2300.  At that price I'm still a BIG fan. The uAvionix support was immediate, effective, and NO cost.

<sarcasm on> I'm just sure that no one has ever had a problem with any of the other manufacturers' ADSB-out solutions, and if they did the installer surely turned the fix around in a day at no cost to the owner <sarcasm off>

My friend did this with his Comanche 250. Apparently the Stabilator blocks the GPS.  After fighting with it for 2 months hes done (he's an IA).  UAvionix would not take a trade on wingbeacon and they would not yellow tag the unit for him to sell.  He got some trade in love from an avionics shop and is installing Appereo Stratus ESG ~$2800 for the unit. To each there own. Sometimes cheap is not inexpensive.   I'm sure all makes have had issues.  I've just heard a fair amount of uAvionix buyers remorse.  If I had it to do again I would have gone with the Stratus ESG over the GTX335.

You know what, you might be right. I remember all the FAA website info specifically saying it would grant 1 time exceptions for the purpose of equipping with adsb out. It appears the language has changed and now just says exemptions are available but operators are urged to equip. 

they were very specific about it 8 months ago

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

My friend did this with his Comanche 250. Apparently the Stabilator blocks the GPS.  After fighting with it for 2 months hes done (he's an IA).  UAvionix would not take a trade on wingbeacon and they would not yellow tag the unit for him to sell.  He got some trade in love from an avionics shop and is installing Appereo Stratus ESG ~$2800 for the unit. To each there own. Sometimes cheap is not inexpensive.   I'm sure all makes have had issues.  I've just heard a fair amount of uAvionix buyers remorse.  If I had it to do again I would have gone with the Stratus ESG over the GTX335.

I had looked at the ESG, but for those of us that won't have any "trade in love" it was $2995 PLUS a shop needs to install the GPS antenna and, presumably coax.  With tax and installation,...well, you tell me, but it's going to be WELL NORTH of $3500.  So, AT LEAST, one AMU more for something I was forced to install (cue the guilt-tripping critics).

One problem <> Buyer's remorse

41 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I had looked at the ESG, but for those of us that won't have any "trade in love" it was $2995 PLUS a shop needs to install the GPS antenna and, presumably coax.  With tax and installation,...well, you tell me, but it's going to be WELL NORTH of $3500.  So, AT LEAST, one AMU more for something I was forced to install (cue the guilt-tripping critics).

One problem <> Buyer's remorse

probably more. I installed my gtx335 under supervision for about $3500. $2800 for the box, $100 in Coax, $200 for the data correspondence check. $400 to the supervising IA. I did move a lot of instruments around and have him perform a W&B.