Advanced Pilot Seminars online free

Hey everyone. I just did some research into Advanced Pilot Seminars, the group that discusses in depth the dynamics of running ROP and LOP. Right now they are offering their online course FREE !! I just signed up and started the course. I get 45 days to finish. They only asked for an email address. No Credit Card no nothing! I have already completed the initial fun test to determine how much I know or don't know. I just went to www.advancedpilot.com and clicked on ONLINE COURSE. Maybe I got lucky but I'll take it!! Petehdgs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Petehdgs said:

Hey everyone. I just did some research into Advanced Pilot Seminars, the group that discusses in depth the dynamics of running ROP and LOP. Right now they are offering their online course FREE !! I just signed up and started the course. I get 45 days to finish. They only asked for an email address. No Credit Card no nothing! I have already completed the initial fun test to determine how much I know or don't know. I just went to www.advancedpilot.com and clicked on ONLINE COURSE. Maybe I got lucky but I'll take it!! Petehdgs

Well, not exactly.  You get the first part of the course for free.  The remainder you pay for.

Sense the excitement...   :)

Get as much out the APS course as you can...

It will make you want to visit their lab...

I had a plan to go with my friend @Cris... he liked all things Mooney  (Cris has passed)

The deeper the technology, the more interesting... As a Mooney CFII... he liked to absorb and teach...

APS has an instrumented IO550 where they can actually measure the conditions inside a cylinder....

They really make sense out of engine ops... ROP and LOP...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is getting older now, but I did take the entire course and really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  I even went so far as to plot a graph of the Red Fin for my engine with constant fuel flow and constant air flow curves superimposed to get a better understanding of what happens as I richen from a leaned condition.  I am happy I took the course.  

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 10:34 PM, carusoam said:

APS has an instrumented IO550 where they can actually measure the conditions inside a cylind

Close, but that would be too easy.  It’s a TIO 540 J2B if memory serves.  Navajo power plant. Easy engine to kaboom.

the demo is very useful in showing the ICP to CHT correlation.

ive been a GAMI fan since the 90’s in my 231, and more recently made the trip to ADA for the live class.  I was looking Forward to the advanced class, but the three principals had some IP dispute. Sadly, Walter passed away recently, and it remains to be seen if the two survivors can agree on a way to re-start the live classes.  I hope they can as the classes are excellent and significantly advance aviation safety.

-dan

• Like 2

Just now, exM20K said:

Close, but that would be too easy.  It’s a TIO 540 J2B if memory serves.  Navajo power plant. Easy engine to kaboom.

ive been a GAMI fan since the 90’s in my 231, and more recently made the trip to ADA for the live class.  I was looking Forward to the advanced class, but the three principals had some IP dispute. Sadly, Walter passed away recently, and it remains to be seen if the two survivors can agree on a way to re-start the live classes.  I hope they can as the classes are excellent and significantly advance aviation safety.

-dan

Yeah, if they can ever work out their differences, I'd sign up for the Advanced class in a hot second.

Count me in...

I was heading to the APS class with my friend Cris...

He liked training of all things Mooney...

I needed re-training Of all things Mooney... still do...

We never got it in the schedule...

So... if anyone is organizing... please keep me Informed...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, exM20K said:

-dan

Walter was sharp as a tack.  I think he was the one who put together the engine operation demo for the online class.  He wasn't that old, or maybe the years are just going by too fast.  A big loss for the community.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, Petehdgs said:

I know this thread is getting older now, but I did take the entire course and really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  I even went so far as to plot a graph of the Red Fin for my engine with constant fuel flow and constant air flow curves superimposed to get a better understanding of what happens as I richen from a leaned condition.  I am happy I took the course.  

Was it free like you thought or did you end up having to pay to watch the rest of the course?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, spistora said:

I'm considering the online course and am curious if the value is similar to the live seminar.  I assume no one has done both to compare.

Nothing like doing it live... the lab is really cool... live engine, instrumented...

But, if you only have access to the online stuff... it is better than anything else.

If doing it twice... it has been a while since you went the first time, now it’s a refresher... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nothing like doing it live... the lab is really cool... live engine, instrumented...

No question the best $1 AMU I've spent on aviation. And it's paid for itself many times over in increased engine longevity and reduced shop time troubleshooting the occasional problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:10 PM, gsxrpilot said:

No question the best $1 AMU I've spent on aviation. And it's paid for itself many times over in increased engine longevity and reduced shop time troubleshooting the occasional problem.

Yes, but the live course hasn't been offered in years. Only the $395 online course is currently available. Although their is talk of doing a live course in Australia that is shown as TBD.

I would have thought by now the OP would have revised the title of this thread since its not free?