Diamond DA50

larrynimmo

That's my guess too, it's interesting because of sipping the Jet-A here in Brazil.  The Acclaim does everything i want it to do but carry 4 people and fuel....but that AvGas here is $7,50 at the moment and does nothing but get more expensive.  Jet-A can be had for less than half of that and 9 gph > 16-17 gph...(or 14,5 if I slow it down)

But as my dad once told me when I wanted to swap out my 4x4 truck for effeciency purposes after I got a job travelling "Do you know how much fuel you can buy for $1mm???"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airways said:

Should be significantly cheaper than a DA62 or it won’t sell. 

When has a sensible statement like that ever factored into aircraft pricing consideration?!  I mean who in their right mind spends half a million dollars on a little avgas burner - and don't look at us - we aren't in our right minds.

I see on wiki they say base price for a DA62 is $1.25M. This DA50 is mostly the same airframe, etc, and only the DA62 is two smaller engines vs this bigger engine.  I would guess the DA50 will be priced at $1.1M which in one sense is a lot less if we think $125,000 is a lot of money...and usually I do... but not a lot less if you are thinking psychologically along the lines of heck 1.1 how much more is 1.25 really?

You know what stye SHOULD do now that they have these 300HP diesels, is hang a pair of them on the DA62 and make one really kick as fast, heavy lifter DA62 that still sips gas relative to any other twin.

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

When has a sensible statement like that ever factored into aircraft pricing consideration?!  I mean who in their right mind spends half a million dollars on a little avgas burner - and don't look at us - we aren't in our right minds.

I see on wiki they say base price for a DA62 is $1.25M. This DA50 is mostly the same airframe, etc, and only the DA62 is two smaller engines vs this bigger engine.  I would guess the DA50 will be priced at $1.1M which in one sense is a lot less if we think $125,000 is a lot of money...and usually I do... but not a lot less if you are thinking psychologically along the lines of heck 1.1 how much more is 1.25 really?

You are working from the wrong price list.  There are 2 new 2020 DA62's for sale on Controller for $1.42 million.  Yes they have A/C, FIKI and O2 which you naturally want when buying a $1+ million airplane.  FIKI is a $90K option alone.  OK so knock a cool $ 0.25 million off the price of a DA62 and you price an optioned DA50 at $1.2 million. (using your discount the price will be $1.3 million).

Let's get real - we carp about the price of SEL planes like Acclaim, G36 and SR22T being too high at $900,00 and this thing will be even $100k's more.  

This thing is a pig.  The prototype DA50 SuperStar with fixed gear and IO-550 at 2007 AirVenture had an empty weight of 2,200 lbs.  The DA50 RG has grown to an empty weight of 3,175 lbs without options. - gained almost half a ton.  Max TO weight for the DA50 is 4,407 lbs and take off distances are materially longer than the competing SEL's.  With normal options the DA50 empty weight is nearly the same as a Mooney Ultra at max weight.  Quite frankly the DA-50 is probably underpowered.  

OK 4 doors is cool and so is single lever FADEC control.  Claimed fuel consumption is impressive.  However to lift this bloat they have fitted massive 44 ft. wings which means you have to rent a really big T-hangar if you can find one..  Where I am based annual T-hangar cost for a DA-50 will be $2,200 more than a Mooney and $1,600 more than a Cirrus SR22. If you fly less than 100 hours per year that will eat up a good portion of the fuel cost savings from the diesel Diamond.

Yes the DA-50 cabin is 4 inches wider than a Cirrus. But the Cirrus has a slightly higher useful load and Jet-A is heavier than 100LL.  So the real world increase in people or luggage on a DA-50 is marginal over a Cirrus SR22T.  And the Cirrus has the CAPS.

I don't think Cirrus needs to be too worried about loss of much market share.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1980Mooney said:

You are working from the wrong price list.  There are 2 new 2020 DA62's for sale on Controller for $1.42 million.  Yes they have A/C, FIKI and O2 which you naturally want when buying a $1+ million airplane.  FIKI is a $90K option alone.  OK so knock a cool $ 0.25 million off the price of a DA62 and you price an optioned DA50 at $1.2 million. (using your discount the price will be $1.3 million).

Let's get real - we carp about the price of SEL planes like Acclaim, G36 and SR22T being too high at $900,00 and this thing will be even $100k's more.  

This thing is a pig.  The prototype DA50 SuperStar with fixed gear and IO-550 at 2007 AirVenture had an empty weight of 2,200 lbs.  The DA50 RG has grown to an empty weight of 3,175 lbs without options. - gained almost half a ton.  Max TO weight for the DA50 is 4,407 lbs and take off distances are materially longer than the competing SEL's.  With normal options the DA50 empty weight is nearly the same as a Mooney Ultra at max weight.  Quite frankly the DA-50 is probably underpowered.  

OK 4 doors is cool and so is single lever FADEC control.  Claimed fuel consumption is impressive.  However to lift this bloat they have fitted massive 44 ft. wings which means you have to rent a really big T-hangar if you can find one..  Where I am based annual T-hangar cost for a DA-50 will be $2,200 more than a Mooney and $1,600 more than a Cirrus SR22. If you fly less than 100 hours per year that will eat up a good portion of the fuel cost savings from the diesel Diamond.

Yes the DA-50 cabin is 4 inches wider than a Cirrus. But the Cirrus has a slightly higher useful load and Jet-A is heavier than 100LL.  So the real world increase in people or luggage on a DA-50 is marginal over a Cirrus SR22T.  And the Cirrus has the CAPS.

I don't think Cirrus needs to be too worried about loss of much market share.

Sure. I mostly agree with everything you are saying - only I stated where my prices were from and so probably not quite right.  Anyway they were stated as base model prices and no one ever seems to actually buy a base model when you are spending north of a million.  My main point was - if a single costs say 1.2M and a twin of exactly the same thing costs say 1.4M I bet a bunch of people go twin if they are buying new.   That said, at 1.4M I'm thinking how much turbine does that buy me.

• Like 1