Incremental Panel Upgrade

Just now, Greg_D said:

I was quoted $21K for a dual G5/GFC 500 setup on an Ovation.  The dual GI275/GFC setup was $5K more.

By the time you sell your old AP components you’re probably only talking 4-5k extra for the gfc vs 275’s. I’d personally go that way for sure. You might find that’s all you need to do going forward.  If you upgraded down the road (G3x) the gad29b would already wired in, one g5 could be used for backup, and the remaining g5 could be sold for a healthy amount. 

4 hours ago, MIm20c said:

By the time you sell your old AP components you’re probably only talking 4-5k extra for the gfc vs 275’s. I’d personally go that way for sure. You might find that’s all you need to do going forward.  If you upgraded down the road (G3x) the gad29b would already wired in, one g5 could be used for backup, and the remaining g5 could be sold for a healthy amount. 

I’m not so sure I’d get that much for the old AP parts.  I decided to keep what I have for now late last year when all the avionics shops were booked full doing ADS-B installs.  I couldn’t believe how cheap the used components were when I looked. And I got the KC192 overhauled for under $1K, with all the capacitors, etc replaced.  The servos are still expensive to overhaul, but I’ve seen used ones for less than $800.  I’m thinking I’d get about $5K if I sold all of the old stuff right now...

On 7/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, laytonl said:

Greg, I’ve been struggling with the same issue.  My plan is to run the kap150 until it dies and then install a gfc500.  I decided to take an interim step and install a 7” G3X to replace the ki-525.  I’m leaving the ki-256 to drive the kap150 and as a backup AI.  When the ki256 dies I will replace the kap150 with the gfc500.  The G3X is being installed now.  Lee

Hi Laytoni - that is an interesting incremental idea.

May I ask, what is it costing you to install just a 7'' G3x?  Will you be removing your HSI - and if so then does the G3x replace your HSI speaking to your kap150?

Also, is the 7'' G3x a bit too big to fit into the space of two vertical holes like an aspen does - so I am guessing you need to re-cut your entire panel and all of your other round instruments?

On 6/30/2020 at 6:05 PM, MIm20c said:

Just put in a single 275 with AP interface in. You can drop the vac system (and backup) and have a stable AI to feed the system. If the future it could provide a backup for a txi/g3x or another 275.  Garmin already makes 4 different options for your panel right now. Don’t wast time dreaming for a interface that might never happen...

Now that is also an interesting idea.

May I ask how much installed that single 275 cost you?  What options did you get?  do you like?

E

10 hours ago, Greg_D said:

I’m not so sure I’d get that much for the old AP parts. 

I was thinking a 6k difference in installed equipment cost minus 1-2k for your used AP. 

11 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Now that is also an interesting idea.

May I ask how much installed that single 275 cost you?  What options did you get?  do you like?

E

Plane is in the shop for a full panel overhaul. Going with a Txi. 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I was thinking a 6k difference in installed equipment cost minus 1-2k for your used AP. 

Oh - well good for you!  Did you get a quote then on a single 275 before going Txi?

5 hours ago, MIm20c said:

That’s the best decision. I’ve studied this from all angles as it relates to driving my KFC150 and concluded that, if the decision becomes to spend above the GI275 level, the txi is the way to go. Skip the G3x, G5 and go txi. It gives you much more flexibility. There is a delta but it’s not prohibitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTK said:

That’s the best decision. I’ve studied this from all angles as it relates to driving my KFC150 and concluded that if the decision becomes to spend above the GI275 level, the txi is the way to go. Skip the G3x, G5 and go txi. It gives you much more flexibility. There is a delta but it’s not prohibitive.

I sense the last, true, BK fan... has finally left the building.....

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

I sense the last, true, BK fan... has finally left the building.....

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony, I can honestly say I gave them the benefit of the doubt plenty of times. Each and every time they demonstrated that they’re just not ready for prime time!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, PTK said:

I’ve been quoted 12400$ on the low end to just under 15K$ on the high end for dual GI275‘s and removing vacuum. I would imagine the GFC500 with 2 G5’s should be at most ~18K installed?

May I ask please, what shop quoted you that 12.4-15 for a dual GI275, PTK?

51 minutes ago, Speed Brakes said:

Slightly different option - gi275 replaced the ki256, aspen E5 with acu replaced the ki525a, so bypassed the ea100. Good integration with existing kfc150. 7d4744a2307303ca5269f02ccffdc86c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work. This method would work perfect for a g3x as well. Just slide the 275 right...cheaper than a txi, gad43 and g5. 

• Like 1

I've just completed step one of my panel upgrade by installing the G3X touch.  Seems to be a great product, though I haven't had much time to really explore it.  The install included a panel.  The Garmin G500 autopilot will come in a year or two. 

All removed items are listed for sale in the avionics classified forum. 

IMG_3701.thumb.JPG.cfac30f3c7b786b5c6e5391343ed6e96.JPGLee

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, laytonl said:

I've just completed step one of my panel upgrade by installing the G3X touch.  Seems to be a great product, though I haven't had much time to really explore it.  The install included a panel.  The Garmin G500 autopilot will come in a year or two. 

IMG_3701.thumb.JPG.cfac30f3c7b786b5c6e5391343ed6e96.JPGLee

Very interesting Lee.  Do I see right that you are using the G3x currently as an HSI to feed that HSI information into the KAP150 AP is it that I see, but attitude to the AP is still by the KI256 gyro?  And of course the G3x gives situational awareness and serves as backup attitude to the KI256 that is primary still.  The 7'' makes a nice stepping stone instrument.

I would lose the 3 steam engine gauges, install a G5 and GFC500 in their place.

6 hours ago, laytonl said:

I've just completed step one of my panel upgrade by installing the G3X touch.

Lee, out of curiosity, did you consider and weigh dual GI275’s in your decision? Full featured TSO’d instruments that run your KAP,  remove vacuum, and would save you the new panel. Also ready to interface with your future GFC500. 

Edited by PTK

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would lose the 3 steam engine gauges, install a G5 and GFC500 in their place.

That is step #2 in a year or so.  I need to upgrade the radio in my Citabria to a gnc-355 next year and then I’ll get back to the Mooney.  Lee