Never Been In A Mooney But Researching To Buy

Scott W

Over the last year or so I got my PPL and Instrument rating through a club out of Santa Monica.  While the club is great, I've been eyeing the early Mooneys since I began training.  As the title reads, I've yet to be able to find one to rent or go for a ride in.  Are there any Mooney pilots in the Los Angeles area or nearish that would be willing to give a demo flight of sorts.  I'm more than happy to split the cost of the flight.  I've moved this after posting in the wrong under the wrong topic.  Thanks for reading. 

Scott

23 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Stand by for further offers !

Santa Maria here should you venture up this way.....

Happy to share with you what I know.

2A934FB1-007A-4E7E-BDB8-928828DE0509.jpeg

Now there is a good looking Mooney, looking the way a Mooney should!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BKlott said:

Now there is a good looking Mooney, looking the way a Mooney should!

During paint scheme research, as I came across this paint scheme from Mooney back in 1963. I valued the scheme because it was vintage original and because I thought it was really kinda modern looking too...................therefore, a perfect fit..............a very cool vintage design for my very cool vintage Mooney, and it felt somewhat modern to boot!

• Like 1

M20Cs can make great forever-planes....

They can give you all the experience to move on to your next plane... Like an M20R... Or 252 or Rocket...

Or like Mitch... you can go from an M20R to an M20C...

For some reason... Mitch’s planes always look brand new...

Find Oscar... his M20C flys internationally... between the DC area and Central America... Oscar has a few really good videos around here...

:)

Go Mooney!

-a-

• Like 2

There’s a really nice M20C for sale @ KSNA.  http://www.ocaircraftsales.com/inventory/?/listings/aircraft/for-sale/194121711/1963-mooney-m20c?dlr=1&pcid=11691&ssf=0. Might need a few radio upgrades but seems to be in nice condition-I saw it and took a first-hand look yesterday.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AeroSax said:

There’s a really nice M20C for sale @ KSNA.  http://www.ocaircraftsales.com/inventory/?/listings/aircraft/for-sale/194121711/1963-mooney-m20c?dlr=1&pcid=11691&ssf=0. Might need a few radio upgrades but seems to be in nice condition-I saw it and took a first-hand look yesterday.  

that is super nice.  will look into it tomorrow, thank you!

On 7/1/2020 at 7:46 AM, AeroSax said:

11 hours ago, Scott W said:

that is super nice.  will look into it tomorrow, thank you!

I looked at that posting for a friend. I would tread carefully, in the panel and listed in the ad is a Bose in dash DVD/CD/MP3 player. I could be wrong, but I don't think that should be installed in a certified plane. I'm not saying that it will make it fall out of the sky, but with that installed and getting signed off at annuals, it makes me wonder if there are other things unseen that have been overlooked as well.

I looked at that posting for a friend. I would tread carefully, in the panel and listed in the ad is a Bose in dash DVD/CD/MP3 player. I could be wrong, but I don't think that should be installed in a certified plane. I'm not saying that it will make it fall out of the sky, but with that installed and getting signed off at annuals, it makes me wonder if there are other things unseen that have been overlooked as well.

I think that only requires an AP signature, to insure it doesn’t interfere with the operation of the airplane. Mine used to have one.
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:20 AM, ArtVandelay said:

I guess haven’t look at prices in a while, but Cs are $59000....a J with a runout engine is $109000...I might have to up my insurance coverage.

Where are you seeing a J with a runout engine for $109,000?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I see the 1989 J from GMax you’re talking about on Controller.

Edited by NotarPilot

A near perfect starting point for acquiring a Modern J...

Updating avionics is pretty easy... and not very Mooney specific...

This fancy bird has TKS.... kind of hard to add that on later....

The only thing better would have been a fully run-out motor...

For somebody building a J Forever-plane...

:)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-