Another Mooney With Wing Corrosion- '62 M20C

33 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Well, what obligation do auto insurance companies have to owners when their cars rust out?

Depends. If a rusted subframe breaks causing an accident the insurance pays out. The equivalent in a Mooney is likely the same with a longer liability chain and an owner that is unlikely to be around to collect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Depends. If a rusted subframe breaks causing an accident the insurance pays out. The equivalent in a Mooney is likely the same with a longer liability chain and an owner that is unlikely to be around to collect.

As I was responding to Jim Peace's question, that is NOT the scenario in play, here.

Sounds to me like there is ZERO obligation for the insurance company.

Yeah, Mooney’s have an Achilles heel more than some other aircraft. Glad the Reaper is around to at least soften the blow. Our aircraft aren’t going to last forever, and they’ll never be made again. Enjoy ‘em while yah got ‘em gents.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, steingar said:

Yeah, Mooney’s have an Achilles heel more than some other aircraft. Glad the Reaper is around to at least soften the blow. Our aircraft aren’t going to last forever, and they’ll never be made again. Enjoy ‘em while yah got ‘em gents.

What Achilles hill would that be?

On 7/4/2020 at 1:33 AM, Greg Ellis said:

Just out of curiosity...in the 60’s how many Mooneys would be on the assembly line at one time?  I am just curious because this Mooney’s serial # is 2318 and mine is 2324.

6 S/N apart means they likely came off the line within days of one another. 

20 hours ago, Shadrach said:

What Achilles hill would that be?

Well,,,,,,it might be frugal owners who find the lowest cost Annual, maintainers who oblige them with $500.00 inspections.  These pages are full of owners who brag about their low inspection costs and other owners crying about their lost airframes.  

Clarence

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Well,,,,,,it might be frugal owners who find the lowest cost Annual, maintainers who oblige them with $500.00 inspections.  These pages are full of owners who brag about their low inspection costs and other owners crying about their lost airframes.  

Clarence

My annual inspections are quite inexpensive if I price my personal labor at zero. If I priced my labor at anything approaching typical shop pricing my annual inspection cost would be way over market. I’m grateful that I’ve been in a position to devote a week or more to the airplane every year.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

My annual inspections are quite inexpensive if I price my personal labor at zero. If I priced my labor at anything approaching typical shop pricing my annual inspection cost would be way over market. I’m grateful that I’ve been in a position to devote a week or more to the airplane every year.

Me too, and the added benefit of getting to know my plane inside and out is something I can't put a price on.

• Like 3