Another Mooney With Wing Corrosion- '62 M20C

Good Evening,

Been browsing the forums for a while, first time posting.  My '62C has been going strong since I bought it five years ago, but my mechanic and I just discovered an approximately 1.5 inch section of exfoliating corrosion on the right wing aft spar, inside the wheel well.  Photo attached, looking outboard and aft from inside the right wheel well.  It's also developing corrosion in the left fuel tank between the root rib and lower skin- one of the rivet heads on the lower surface under the rib popped off, discovered on preflight which led to me crawling over the plane and finding the spar corrosion.  I should have caught the spar corrosion on an earlier preflight, no idea how long I was flying with it.  Plane was hangared when I bought it and first two years of ownership, but moving for work it's been tied down in Oxnard, CA and St. Mary's Co, MD since 2017, so being outside in coastal locations the past three years definitely sped up the damage.

I can't imagine this is something repairable short of replacing the left rib and right aft spar cap, which my mechanic probably doesn't want to take on.  My engine is strong but getting up there with 1470 SMOH, and panel is basic VFR with a garmin 345 ADS-B transponder, so unfortunately with a $20K+ or worse repair, repairing the damage or replacing the wing doesn't look to make economic sense on a plane hardly worth more than that.

I hate to be the last owner in 58 years, but can any of you recommend a salvage company in the mid-atlantic that may be interested in buying it?  I'm based at St. Mary's Co, MD (2W6).  My mechanic pointed out that airplanes are worth more as parts than as airplanes, but I don't have a great location to store the airframe should I part it out.  How does one determine if it's safe to ferry a plane with this kind of damage?  Or is there another idea you all recommend before selling it to salvage?

Mostly just looking for advice or ideas at this point.  This is my first plane, and definitely won't be my last- if I sell this plane I'll be searching for a Mooney in better shape ASAP!

Thanks for your input,

Ben

R Aft Spar.jpg

Welcome aboard Ben.

Are you familiar with your nearest MSC?

There are experts in this type of work...  MSCs are places that these experts frequent...

If you have given up on saving the bird... we have @Alan Fox in NJ... he is really good with the recycling of old Mooneys...

Don’t beat yourself up... corrosion happens over time... if you don’t see it... and your annuals don’t catch it... in the tank is a hard place to find it...

Have the damaged measured before writing it off... there is acceptable limits to these kind of things...

Unfortunately with some alloys... It can be a matter of months before the limit is exceeded.

Best regards,

-a-

Ben , Feel free to call me at 856 419 5209 , I cant think of a worse place as far as corrosion than Oxnard ... I cut up the F model , that was at the helicopter mechanics last year... Wasn't anything left on it....   

On 6/30/2020 at 10:24 AM, Nukemzzz said:

How does one prevent this so we aren’t the next casualty?  I’m going to be really bummed out if I get my E all back together with a new panel and engine rebuild to find a corroded wing spar next. 

This aircraft was based at Oxnard , no stopping it at that field , Might as well just wash it in the bay...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

The fuckery , has begun.....

cpart.jpg

cpartdash.jpg

Just out of curiosity...in the 60’s how many Mooneys would be on the assembly line at one time?  I am just curious because this Mooney’s serial # is 2318 and mine is 2324.

14 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

just curious, is this a total loss to the owner, does insurance pay out some?  what does Alan pay for planes like these? 

how does it all work to minimize financial damage to the owners?

Well, what obligation do auto insurance companies have to owners when their cars rust out?

Edited by MikeOH