BATTERY TENDER?

MATTS875

On 11/8/2011 at 7:29 AM, OR75 said:

you hit the nail on the head ...

The FAA like to be able to trace / have data on what's hard wired on a certified plane.  That's why there are STCs, TSOs PMAs, Part Numbers, etc ...   

Just wondering how you reference the battery minder tail if it is hard wired in a maintenance log book entry ?

If it is not hard wired , then no need to worry about it.

Installed in accordance with ac43.13.  It has an extensive section on proper wiring and installations.  I plug my aircraft in every time I put it in the hangar.  I use a battery tender from Schumacher.  It is not the $5 cheapos but one with smart monitoring.  shuts off when voltage is reached.

Mark

• Like 1

On 9/24/2011 at 5:47 PM, MATTS875 said:

Has anyone ever used the battery tender? I have been told they are great to use about once a month but I looked them up and it says not to use with concorde or gill batteries.It is suppose to cut off after the battery is fully charged.I have looked at them on aircraftspruce.

there are two versions... Battery Tender and BatteryMinder...

Depending on where you are on the CB scale for certain things.....

BatteryMinder comes in a few versions... specific to the battery that you have...

Some people use their plane often enough to not need or want one...

Others connect the plane each time it goes in the hangar...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=BatteryMinder&quick=1

Somebody has studied how much their battery runs down while sitting in a hangar...

Best regards,

-a-

It is my understanding that a lead acid battery benefits from being kept at full charge. I have the de-sulfating battery minder that is specific to my concord battery, and I have the permanent charger receptacle installed on the plane as well. My battery is 6 years old and has been on a de-sulfating charger from day one. My last battery test was 4 months ago, and the 30 AH battery still has 112% capacity. 

I am sold on a quality charger/tender.  Battery Minder also has solar powered units, which is pretty cool.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, markgrue said:

Installed in accordance with ac43.13.  It has an extensive section on proper wiring and installations.  I plug my aircraft in every time I put it in the hangar.  I use a battery tender from Schumacher.  It is not the $5 cheapos but one with smart monitoring.  shuts off when voltage is reached.

Mark

It has to cost 5amu to qualify as aviation grade ...

Joke aside, saying it is from Schumacher and not a cheapo part will not make it approved for installation  

3 hours ago, OR75 said:

Joke aside, saying it is from Schumacher and not a cheapo part will not make it approved for installation  

I've never seen anybody install a tender or a minder on an aircraft.   Is this how you do it?   There are far easier ways.

In the two and a half years I have had my 1968 M20F, I have often contemplated getting a battery minder or tender - In part because my real job requires me to be away from my mistress for 60 to 75 days at a time, about 3 times each year. Every time I come back home after a two month hiatus I wonder if my battery will be dead, or weak or just crap.  And every time, it does just fine. In all honesty, I really can't tell the difference in cranking power whether or not it has been 60 days or 60 minutes since I've last flown her.  All is well, at least so far.

Some people swear by the battery things.

Me, not so much.

19 minutes ago, redcatcher27 said:

In the two and a half years I have had my 1968 M20F, I have often contemplated getting a battery minder or tender - In part because my real job requires me to be away from my mistress for 60 to 75 days at a time, about 3 times each year. Every time I come back home after a two month hiatus I wonder if my battery will be dead, or weak or just crap.  And every time, it does just fine. In all honesty, I really can't tell the difference in cranking power whether or not it has been 60 days or 60 minutes since I've last flown her.  All is well, at least so far.

Some people swear by the battery things.

Me, not so much.

Assuming no discharging loads, lead acid batteries lose about 5% of their charge per month increasing at higher temps.  After 60 days, you are still at 90% capacity.  That said, my Mooney, motorcycle, and RV are currently sitting on chargers when parked.  I think it might be for my own peace of mind, but I feel like batteries last a lot longer when on a maintainer and I hope that the extends to the Mooney battery.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OR75 said:

You don't have to install the tender on the aircraft.  I have the pigtail on the left side of the cowling where it can be accessed through the battery door.  I simply open the door and plug the charger into the pigtail.  takes less then a minute.  

Mark

4 hours ago, markgrue said:

You don't have to install the tender on the aircraft.  I have the pigtail on the left side of the cowling where it can be accessed through the battery door.  I simply open the door and plug the charger into the pigtail.  takes less then a minute.  

Mark

Pulled a wire and connect via the baggage door . Don’t want to open the battery panel each time and the plane being hangared , it is fine for the bagage door to not ne closed . Actually better for the seal anyway 

Take a look at what they offer for plugs/sockets... you can get a finished socket looking thing and mount it through the back wall to make it look a bit professional... Or top shelf...

It can also keep things from wearing on the wires...

Great when you put the charger up on the shelf... inside a hangar.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-