Want to Buy a Mooney But Have Never Been in One

Scott W

Over the last year or so I got my PPL and Instrument rating through a club out of Santa Monica.  While the club is great, I've been eyeing late model Mooneys since I began training.  As the title reads, I've yet to be able to find one to rent or go for a ride in.  Are there any Mooney pilots in the Los Angeles area or nearish that would be willing to give a demo flight of sorts.  I'm more than happy to split the cost of the flight.  If I've posted this request in the wrong section, I'm sorry and am happy to move it.   Thanks for reading. 

Scott

8 hours ago, Scott W said:

Over the last year or so I got my PPL and Instrument rating through a club out of Santa Monica.  While the club is great, I've been eyeing late model Mooneys since I began training.  As the title reads, I've yet to be able to find one to rent or go for a ride in.  Are there any Mooney pilots in the Los Angeles area or nearish that would be willing to give a demo flight of sorts.  I'm more than happy to split the cost of the flight.  If I've posted this request in the wrong section, I'm sorry and am happy to move it.   Thanks for reading. 

Scott

Welcome, and yes...this should be re-posted under General Mooney Talk.

15 hours ago, Scott W said:

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting here.  You are in a good place to get information to your question.  You can also post in the general forum as well.

As @Skates97 mentioned above he is based at KFUL.  I am based at KVNY (Van Nuys) and I own a 67 M20F. 

Where at Santa Monica have you been training? I got my ppl at Santa Monica Flyers with AJ.

As soon as the Covid-19 situation calms down I am sure that you might be able to arrange  flight with anyone in the group who is willing and available. 

You can also visit our FB West Coast Mooney Club Group page to connect with more club members.

Click HERE     West Coast Money Club Group FB Page

Stay in touch.

Edited by MrRodgers

Will repost, thank you Steven.

Mr.Rodgers, 

I did some flying with Santa Monica Flyers in their light sports a few years back, but this most recent go around I joined AirSpacers.  Strangely I think I flew with AJ once or twice.  Would love to join the Facebook group, but just deleted my account about six months ago.  I'll keep a look out here and raising my hand.

Thank you for the welcome!

On 6/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, Skates97 said:

I have a 1965 M20D, not exactly a "late model" but I would be happy to work out a time to take you flying. I'm based out of KFUL. There are some others around here in the SoCal area.

Happy to come out to Fullerton, anytime that works for you.  And I definitely misspoke when I said late model, I seem to confuse that alot.  I'm looking for a Mooney around 65-75.

Scott

19 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Will repost, thank you Steven.

Mr.Rodgers, 

I did some flying with Santa Monica Flyers in their light sports a few years back, but this most recent go around I joined AirSpacers.  Strangely I think I flew with AJ once or twice.  Would love to join the Facebook group, but just deleted my account about six months ago.  I'll keep a look out here and raising my hand.

Thank you for the welcome!

Small world.  I got my PPL in the light sports at SM Flyers with AJ.  Great little planes.  I took delivery my 67 Mooney M20F two weeks before my checkride.  I am so glad I purchased a Mooney as my first plane and not a Cessna or anything else.  Yes, its quite a step up from light sports but I utilized two incredible Mooney instructors to assist me with my transition training. Keep us posted if you go and see @Skates97 and perhaps I can meet you there with my plane 

• 3 weeks later...
I am based at KSMO as well and would be happy to take you up in my 65E.

I’m based at Van Nuys. We should meet up with a few others and get together at Camarillo or French Valley for some great good and Mooney time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrRodgers said:

I’m based at Van Nuys. We should meet up with a few others and get together at Camarillo or French Valley for some great good and Mooney time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm game for that. We're flying to Salt Lake this weekend but a weekend after that would work. 

• Like 1

Scott W,

You know you want a Mooney. so just go buy one................... 

They fly like all airplanes do, you pull back they go up, you push forward they go down, etc.

But in a Mooney, you look soooooo, coooool doing it. Plus, when you are hangar flying you get to say, "I own a Mooney". as the rest of the pilots around the table have that look of envy in their eyes. :)

• Like 4

On 7/20/2020 at 6:21 AM, Skates97 said:

I'm game for that. We're flying to Salt Lake this weekend but a weekend after that would work. 

I'll try to come too, once my new-to-me J is out of the avionics shop and I receive my transition sign-off...

• Like 2