I am going through annual hell. We (AME) found missing rivets at the wing root just ahead of the drain. There appears to be a small burn make there and my AME (very experienced) has seen this before. He thinks my airplane suffered a lightning ground strike. All else is well. 

I will jump ahead here, I have stripped the sealant from the tank. This is one of the must unpleasant tasks I have ever had to do. We have found corrosion to the T shaped extrusion of the rib. This would have never been visible had we not removed rivets allowing us to pull the skin down. I am fortunate to have a very experienced aviation sheet metal man. I'm assisting him. He feels this is repairable. 

Does anyone have a part number? Can I get this from Mooney? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Badmoonraising said:

I am going through annual hell. We (AME) found missing rivets at the wing root just ahead of the drain. There appears to be a small burn make there and my AME (very experienced) has seen this before. He thinks my airplane suffered a lightning ground strike. All else is well. 

I will jump ahead here, I have stripped the sealant from the tank. This is one of the must unpleasant tasks I have ever had to do. We have found corrosion to the T shaped extrusion of the rib. This would have never been visible had we not removed rivets allowing us to pull the skin down. I am fortunate to have a very experienced aviation sheet metal man. I'm assisting him. He feels this is repairable. 

Not sure exactly what part you're looking for, but get a copy of the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) for your airplane and you should be able to find a part number reasonably quickly.

7 minutes ago, Badmoonraising said:

picture of the area with missing rivets?  

• Like 1

From the IPC, the rib isn’t broken down to the individual parts.  You’ll need to provide the serial number of your plane to get the correct part number from the correct IPC.  With the correct rib part number you can ask Mooney for a further break down of the rib.

Clarence

BF35590C-AB23-44AC-8DD7-7AEC69CF892F.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

Ouch...

Is there a matching mark on the ground where that was parked?

The pavement, may not have fared much better...

But, this would confirm what you are seeing.....

Electricity is a very powerful force.

Often, the damage is very surface related... there may also be an entrance wound....

Expect that the tallest part of the plane may have got hit... the lowest part with ‘best’ contact with the ground looks like the exit....

Got any security cameras nearby?  To review the tape?

PP thinking out loud... not a lightning bug...

Best regards,

-a-