New Bird is Home

mpess

After a week and a half of delays with a title issue I was finally able to pick up 4775H from St Louis this week. Big thanks to Jeff Schnabel out of Cincinnati for the help on the reposition and insurance dual.

we shook down the plane Friday night and left for CT Saturday morning. Dodged the storms over to Latrobe PA for lunch and filed IFR back to CT. With ceiling forecasts calling for a high overcast it looked easy and we might even be able to knock out the rest of the dual that night. It turned out to be hard IFR and an approach to mins to get in and we called it a day. Great work for me as an instrument student to get in the system and put some actual in the log book.

Finished up today and flew the Hudson River for fun to close out the hours.

Ready to start putting her to good use now.

684203FE-8E6A-40A7-A879-8E62C6357841.jpeg

550C4305-5BFE-48CB-BE8D-1B9CFDDF5EB8.jpeg

EAAA3425-ED8D-49E1-A9CC-8EF39BF6E5F9.jpeg

Edited by mpess
Accidentally hit submit early
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nothing says freedom like a pic of the Freedom Tower from 1k’ agl!

Great way to celebrate bringing the bird home.

:)

Best regards,

-a-

I absolutely love flying the Hudson and there was only one other airplane in the SFRA yesterday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Careful with Jeff. He's spent a lot of time in my plane and frankly I regret it. He displays far too many of the hazardous mindsets of aviation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Can you expound?  I've been considering him for some recurrent training since I'm close.

1 hour ago, daytonabch04 said:

Can you expound?  I've been considering him for some recurrent training since I'm close.

I can go on and on frankly.  I sent this to the OP when he messaged me this morning. 

• Just understand, his mechanical input is a poor opinion too. I called him at one point while we were still speaking. I was on the ground, botched a hot start, and my engine monitor showed an electric discharge that announced over my audio panel. It was dusk and I asked him what to do. He said fly down here, about 20 mins, and we'll look at it. I called another mechanic I had a relationship with and he identified that it was an electric something that failed preventing my plane from charging the electric system. Long story short,I was on the ground running on battery, shouldn't have been in the air and Jeff told me to launch at dusk to come see him. Eff that. The dude is lucky to still be alive honestly. He told me not to follow my checklist when it said to use the electric fuel boost pump since he always forgets to turn it off.  

He is just very cavalier with what he does.  Life is a big game, always a joke to him.  I did some instrument lessons with him.  I should have slugged him at the time.  90 degrees, hot and bumpy AF.  I pass the controls to him and turn around to dig my foggles out of the back seat.  As I'm doing that, he puts the plane in a number of different unusual attitudes.  I get cold sweats, try to keep focused and ended up that whole lesson was a waste.  I expect my instructors to be reasonably professional and Jeff doesn't have any of it.  Actually stood me up for our last lesson.  That was the last straw for me. 

I just still can't get over him telling me to disregard checklists. That's a non starter to me.