CAD Panel

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, Nukemzzz said:

PM me your email and I’ll send you mine tomorrow if you think you can use a 66’ E. This is what I have getting cut now on waterjet.  I have like 16hrs of CAD time and test piece fitting invested...home stretch now. Whew!

BF98FAAA-81A0-4B83-BF1A-EC028D18DC6C.png

FBB93DC1-0DDC-4216-809A-5B9FF4E78F2F.png

Any chance you can email this to me? I have a 66E as well and am going in for upgrades in the next few weeks. Would love to be able to play around with some designs beforehand!

On 9/14/2020 at 4:17 PM, Tahir K said:

Any chance you can email this to me? I have a 66E as well and am going in for upgrades in the next few weeks. Would love to be able to play around with some designs beforehand!

I've uploaded my files to the file space on this forum.  Can you pick them up there?

While receiving estimates for a GI275 installation I also requested an estimate for replacing the black, simulated cowhide panels with gray, powder coated ones and the estimates are running around $5k. One wanted $4,500, another $5,600 and yet another at $4,800. Is that what a project like this should cost?

Going out with the PVC cowhide is worth 6AMUs!

The partnership will probably appreciate this update X 4... :)

The sheet metal is a few dollars...

The specific cad work can be a few hours of engineering level work... Nuke gave his hours (16) above...

Cutting on a Water Jet, requires expensive equipment, and some skill to operate it.

The finishing is a few dollars of materials...

The paint and silk screen is a few hours of some pro’s time...

Any mistakes are good to pick up early...

Once all the instruments come out, and go back in, is a lot of mechanic’s time....

See what you are getting with all that money...

Copying an existing successful drawing and making changes seems like a great way to be successful the first time....

Finding the limitations behind the panel after it has been cut, can get really expensive, fast...

The lowest cost route to cutting a new panel... visit with the EAA guys... see how they are doing it...

The most successful route... aka more expensive... See the Islip recommendation by StevenL above... the panel was tested with an acrylic sheet first.... a see through panel... to promote proper spacing behind the panel as well...

PP thoughts only, not a panel designer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 10:52 AM, flyboy0681 said:

While receiving estimates for a GI275 installation I also requested an estimate for replacing the black, simulated cowhide panels with gray, powder coated ones and the estimates are running around $5k. One wanted $4,500, another $5,600 and yet another at $4,800. Is that what a project like this should cost?

I have the CAD files for most Mooneys, can draw the rest.  I can cut a panel for a whole lot less than the above.  I use Nextel 'suede panel paint' and am looking around for a UV printer to print the labels and logo's straight onto the paint.  The panel is an iterative process, there are only 1 or 2 types that I could confidently ship without a prototype.

Then there is still quite a lot of work in removing the old instruments and installing the new ones.  So when comparing quotes, be sure to understand what is included.

Aerodon

• Like 2