TheLachlan

67' M20F - Fresh Rebuild - RAYJAY - 430WAAS - STEC50

Recommended Posts

Well here we are..

Due to on the brighter side of things, outgrowing the plane recently with the arrival of baby Tripp Wylder ( 3 little ones and need more space ), to the more solemn reason of experiencing a pay cut at work, our Mooney is up for sale.

This is probably the most mechanically fresh F model out there today, March 10th of this year we did the first break in flights since the rebuild, and it had an annual while in the shop and its dated 3/15/2020. It now has approximately 35hrs and is still being flown every few weeks or so.

About $60,000 was spent in the rebuild and I'll be happy to send receipts to anyone who asks.

Engine has been overhauled to Factory New Tolerances, new exhaust ($8k), rebuilt turbo,  etc. etc. 

I will attach the old for sale ad from All American Aircraft from when we bought it end of 2018 it details the specs well. Jimmy there has sent me his estimated appraisal using his system and it comes out to $96,120. I also had to get a certified appraisal for my bank after the rebuild. I got a certified desktop appraisal of $95,777 from US Aircraft Appraisals on June 7th.

I will also attach some recent logs.

I apologize I do not have great interior shots of it yet...

If there is anything someone feels I am missing please let me know and if anyone has questions I'm an open book and should not be hard to get a hold of. Plane is at KPRX as of right now and I plan to fly it to KGNC and back next week. If there is video of it performing under certain conditions, altitudes etc etc that someone would like please let me know and I'll try to get it for you. I will attach multiple pics that I had in my phone and once again if anyone wants something specific all you got to do is ask. I have all the old log books and a whole lot of documentation, most of the logs I have on the computer so I can email those on request.

$95,000

Jared Kornelsen

432-413-8001 call/text/whatsapp

e90.j91@gmail.com

 

Edit: I apologize some of these pics did not load right and rotated on me.. not sure how to fix it.

IMG-0336.jpg

IMG-0086.jpg

IMG-0083.jpg

IMG-0029.jpg

IMG-0028 (1).jpg

IMG-1879.jpg

IMG-1878.jpg

IMG-1877.jpg

IMG-1875.jpg

IMG-1876.jpg

IMG-3701.jpg

IMG-3708.jpg

IMG-3707.jpg

IMG-3706.jpg

IMG-3705.jpg

IMG-3704 (1).jpg

IMG-2798.jpg

IMG-2797.jpg

IMG-4603.jpg

IMG-4126.jpg

IMG-4127.jpg

IMG-4455.jpg

Scan Jun 4, 2020 at 1.01 PM (1) (2).pdf 1967 MOONEY M20F EXEC 21 For Sale In Spring Branch, Texas _ Controller.com.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

You left out the most important feature--a johnson bar!  Good looking plane...GLWS!

  What do you cruise at RPM/MP/KAIS?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha yes I do like that bar, I've never flown in one that had electric gear, flaps, or trim. I'm sure it would be handy to have electric but there is definitely some peace of mind with more mechanical systems, at least for me, especially with planes where cost is a bigger factor.

I'll try to remember to take note/pics/video of how next weeks flights will go but what we have seen is around 148KTS GS at the lower altitudes without much wind factor. I havnt had it high very often, I cruised at about 9,500 the other day for a little while and hit 193KTS briefly but we had a good tailwind. My default cruise setting for XC is 25" MP and about 2,500 RPM. Before the rebuild I always used the JPI's lean finder to get to "leanest" than add in about 50 degrees of mixture. Since the rebuilt I've been doing more like 70ish+ degress just to keep things cool, at that setting it's usually at about 10GPH. The temps are good at 50 degrees but I like to be on the cooler/safer side of things if possible. In cruise flight like that the EGT's are usually around 1350 I want to say and the CHT's the hotest one I believe is around 375-385, and this would be at like 3,500-6,500ft approx.

 

I will try to get some solid numbers next week and record the temps etc while in flight.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems like a lot of traveling capability, with a fresh front end, for the money...  I'm sorry to see you in the selling situation, but that's going to make someone a great family plane.  Oh...and congratulations on the new baby!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$400, he was familiar with Jimmy at All American Aircraft and I showed him what Jimmy came up with and sent him some more info on the plane as well. He was very good to work with and I'd definitely recommend them for cases like mine anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WANT!  Very nice ship.  If I had a few friends at DTO to go in on it, I'd be callin ya.  BUUUUUT I have no flyin friends yet since I just passed my checkride.

Best of luck on the sale for a very nice ride.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's my old plane.  I put the new panel in, and of course traded it in on an Ovation shortly thereafter.  There are many times over the last few years that I wish I'd have stuck with the F model.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like my rayjay and need the back seat space of a mid body for the two small ones at home... Looks like a very nice setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the check ride, MS...

Hmmmm MS.... sounds familiar... :)
 

A real MSer!

-a-

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes congrats on the check ride, its a big deal! Greg thanks for chiming in, I appreciate knowing more of its history including previous owners. Are you the one that took it to Oshkosh?

Thanks for all the kind words.

Flew from Paris, Tx to Seminole, Tx on Wednesday and got an oil change done at the same shop in Seminole that did the work.  2nd oil change since new engine and they inspected the oil filter element and all is good, off of straight mineral oil now and I noticed probably about 5-10 degrees cooler oil tempts on the way back. Plane performed great, specially on the way back east when the winds where more favorable. Cruised at 9,500 most of the time, using the turbo, and you can definitely feel a difference once you cut the turbo off. Wanted to go to 12,000 and test it out but the clouds would most likely have been in the way in some areas for that, there where some storms around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have taken it to OSH a few times.  Not sure what year you are referring to.  Did anyone ever reseal the tanks?  I was having an issue near the end of ownership where little pieces of loose tank sealant were clogging the fuel system.  It happened the 1st couple of times while in cruise, and the guys who looked at it said it was carbon associated with the TN setup.  It happened a few months later shortly after takeoff and that really got my attention.  I was about to have the tanks resealed before I traded it in on an Ovation.  Weird, but on my 5th or 6th flight in the Ovation, at the same airport, I lost a mag during takeoff at about 500 ft.  The engine ran rough as I came back around to land, but nowhere near as rough as loosing all of the power from one cylinder in a four cylinder airplane!

Edited by Greg_D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Greg_D said:

I have taken it to OSH a few times.  Not sure what year you are referring to.  Did anyone ever reseal the tanks?  I was having an issue near the end of ownership where little pieces of loose tank sealant were clogging the fuel system.  It happened the 1st couple of times while in cruise, and the guys who looked at it said it was carbon associated with the TN setup.  It happened a few months later shortly after takeoff and that really got my attention.  I was about to have the tanks resealed before I traded it in on an Ovation.  Weird, but on my 5th or 6th flight in the Ovation, at the same airport, I lost a mag during takeoff at about 500 ft.  The engine ran rough as I came back around to land, but nowhere near as rough as loosing all of the power from one cylinder in a four cylinder airplane?

Hmm, well I just looked  through the logs a little bit. I thought they had been recently resealed but I haven't found where/when yet. Up to what year did you own it and also did you get the maintenance done by Don Maxwell or was that another owner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheLachlan said:

Hmm, well I just looked  through the logs a little bit. I thought they had been recently resealed but I haven't found where/when yet. Up to what year did you own it and also did you get the maintenance done by Don Maxwell or was that another owner?

I owned it from 2004-2009.  And yes, I used Don Maxwell when I lived in TX.  If I remember correctly, he did patch one of the tanks during an annual.  If you're ever over my way (KDWH), please send me a message.  I'd love to come by and look at the plane before you sell it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greg_D said:

I owned it from 2004-2009.  And yes, I used Don Maxwell when I lived in TX.  If I remember correctly, he did patch one of the tanks during an annual.  If you're ever over my way (KDWH), please send me a message.  I'd love to come by and look at the plane before you sell it!

Oh man i was there recently about 5 or 6 weeks ago or so, had I known.. Also whoever bought it after you also used Don sometimes as well as the logs show his shop till 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheLachlan said:

Oh man i was there recently about 5 or 6 weeks ago or so, had I known.. Also whoever bought it after you also used Don sometimes as well as the logs show his shop till 2012.

I don't think the guy who owned it after me flew it very much over the years he had it.  That's probably why the cam went soft.  I think he lived up in South Dakota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greg_D said:

I don't think the guy who owned it after me flew it very much over the years he had it.  That's probably why the cam went soft.  I think he lived up in South Dakota.

Previous owner to me was in Nebraska I believe, not sure if thats the same guy, but I think he also moved once during ownership. He upgraded to a twin Baron I believe. Abbreviated reason for the rebuild was we noticed the oil temp gauge was pegged one day while training and my CFI kinda shrugged it off that it could be the old gauges or something, I forget if he said maybe we should check it out or not but we/I didn't so... VERY stupidly I shrugged it off as well because he didn't seem to treat it like a big deal and I guess maybe I trusted that he would let me know if I needed to do something.. Anyway, flew like that for awhile until soloing one day I noticed my oil pressure wasn't what it usually was. Took a pic of my gauges and the AP noticed the temp gauge, they tested the probe, it was good, did an oil change, filter was full of metal, found out the vernatherm valve was sticking closed or something.. approx. $60k later and a rebuild that took about 9 or so months here we are.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheLachlan said:

Previous owner to me was in Nebraska I believe, not sure if thats the same guy, but I think he also moved once during ownership. He upgraded to a twin Baron I believe. Abbreviated reason for the rebuild was we noticed the oil temp gauge was pegged one day while training and my CFI kinda shrugged it off that it could be the old gauges or something, I forget if he said maybe we should check it out or not but we/I didn't so... VERY stupidly I shrugged it off as well because he didn't seem to treat it like a big deal and I guess maybe I trusted that he would let me know if I needed to do something.. Anyway, flew like that for awhile until soloing one day I noticed my oil pressure wasn't what it usually was. Took a pic of my gauges and the AP noticed the temp gauge, they tested the probe, it was good, did an oil change, filter was full of metal, found out the vernatherm valve was sticking closed or something.. approx. $60k later and a rebuild that took about 9 or so months here we are.

Yeah, that CFI!  I hope he wasn't a Mooney specific CFI.  That was super irresponsible for him to "shrug it off" as "old gauges or something".  Have you connected back with him to let him know what the REAL problem was?  How long/how many hours did you run it like that with the temp gauge pegged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Yeah, that CFI!  I hope he wasn't a Mooney specific CFI.  That was super irresponsible for him to "shrug it off" as "old gauges or something".  Have you connected back with him to let him know what the REAL problem was?  How long/how many hours did you run it like that with the temp gauge pegged?

He was not Mooney specific. I agree he should not have done that, at the same time, I'm mechanically inclined and should have known far better myself... He took a job at a flight training place or something in Kansas and moved away before I finished my training and before we found out what the issue was. I got me another instructor to finish up and then we found out less than a week before I had a check ride scheduled that it needed a new engine. 

I estimate that it ran with the oil tempt pegged for approximately 10-15hrs maybe.

I have not contacted him about it, my AP says he puts the blame 90% on the CFI ( he knows him from before this too).. Even so, I feel very responsible for this as well as the owner, maybe I'm too nice, idk.. I dont think the CFI is "rolling in it" anyway so not sure what good would come of approaching him now.. He's teaching people in simulators now so yea..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheLachlan said:

He was not Mooney specific. I agree he should not have done that, at the same time, I'm mechanically inclined and should have known far better myself... He took a job at a flight training place or something in Kansas and moved away before I finished my training and before we found out what the issue was. I got me another instructor to finish up and then we found out less than a week before I had a check ride scheduled that it needed a new engine. 

I estimate that it ran with the oil tempt pegged for approximately 10-15hrs maybe.

I have not contacted him about it, my AP says he puts the blame 90% on the CFI ( he knows him from before this too).. Even so, I feel very responsible for this as well as the owner, maybe I'm too nice, idk.. I dont think the CFI is "rolling in it" anyway so not sure what good would come of approaching him now.. He's teaching people in simulators now so yea..

Well, if you were a student pilot, you were flying on his certificate, so I'd place the blame on him a little closer to 99%.  The point in telling him about it is so that he can learn from it.  If he does, maybe he won't make that mistake again.  And maybe he won't kill someone or cost them a $60K repair bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Well, if you were a student pilot, you were flying on his certificate, so I'd place the blame on him a little closer to 99%.  The point in telling him about it is so that he can learn from it.  If he does, maybe he won't make that mistake again.  And maybe he won't kill someone or cost them a $60K repair bill.

I suppose I've never thought about it in this way " you were flying on his certificate"... I may check with my AP and see if he told him about it already and go from there.. Just a very unfortunate situation, that CFI is not a douche either, nice guy in general from what I could tell.. I've tried and been for the most part pretty successful not getting stuck dwelling on what happened and thinking about all the money it cost me. Lesson learned, onwards and upwards with life.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLachlan, sent a text to the number posted then thought it might not be a textable number. Is the plane still available?

Edit: Just re read where it specificity says text lol.

Edited by RocketGnome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.