N2652W will have a new home!

G5 baby!

This will 'nicely' equip 52W for light IFR work.  I thought about dual G5's but, since I want to 'ease' into upgrades, the GNC 355 and G5 will do just fine for now.

I want to leave some $ room for the TruTrak and PMA7000M-BT (hope TT comes this year).  The PMA is a slide in so I can just P-N-P that myself when time (and $) allow.

Still Schedule for Feb install -- pretty excited to get that done.

For 'legal' IFR, I'll need to expose the Davtron M800 clock that is on the pilot's flight control yoke.  I don't recall seeing a valid clock in the GTX 327, GNC 355, or the G5.

I may just add a USB charger with a clock since I need to do the 'legal' route (permanently installed thing).  I've read a ton of threads here (including the FAA finding on watch vs installed) and to avoid any issues, will be looking for either exposing the Davtron M800 on the control yoke (which means moving the ipad to another location), move the Davtron to where the current CDI for the GX60 was, or put a USB/Clock where the CDI for the GX60 is - Not even sure if the Davtron 800 is 'legal' yet (does it show clock time as hh:mm:ss).

Decisions, Decisions.

-Don

Garmin-G5.jpg

• Like 1

Went out to the hanger today to setup the cabin heat (simple heater with tip proof shut-off), SwitcheOn, and the engine heat setup David gave me.  Also got the label/placards that I needed too (used the wife's xmas present label maker). Temps are going to get into the 20's so I wanted to see how the heaters do.  Will find out tomorrow when I fly her!

Did some cleanup of the fuel stain -- first alcohol then acetone -- that is about as good as its going to get without taking paint off ;o).  Was nice to see no new fuel stain!

I removed the great iPad mount David made since I needed the Clock for IFR -- very well may remove that and put in a different Davtron where the INOP CDI is now.

That label maker is addicting ;o)

20210108_163256.jpg

20210108_165304.jpg

20210108_170109.jpg

20210108_171458.jpg

20210108_163311.jpg

20210108_164441.jpg

20210108_165040.jpg

Took her up today - filled up @ Sherman (KWSI) - no seepage! No fuel anywhere (except at the rivets on wing walk) but that is solved starting off on the right tank. Flew a bit - flys great - landings are getting there too.

Heaters worked great BTW - found out though the shared hangers are heated anyway!  Won’t need to worry too much about that in the future (they keep them warm just enough they said).

KGYI is a pretty good kept secret - Rise Aviation is awesome to work with. There are a few Mooneys on field and I’m betting they like the area as much as I do - worth the drive!

So the GTX 327 is back and will be install on the 18th. If I get my LHS from Microkit soon, may see if Grayson Avionics can do it or, just wait for when I do the G5.

Really enjoying the Mooney...

-Don

• Like 1

Great day to fly here today (68°!)

Flew to Sulphur Springs as I have not been there yet. Fun little runway as the threshold is jutting out on the lake a bit. Testing mixtures and settings to find what it likes. 

Below are map pics of the airport (yes, that is a grass field on the right). So far 14.5 hrs on her in a little over a month. 

-Don

82382E56-183A-4B04-9068-F7B3FF9A975D.png

C46780CC-A9E6-41A7-8AD7-140CDE3AABE1.png

• Like 1

Gtx 327 installed and working again! Looks new with new board, face, and buttons. Little over $700 for Garmin to do their magic. Had to do the IFR Certs again but now all of that is done! Took her out for an hour flight - loving this plane! 

Here are pics with the GTX back in the panel - after the test flight (finally getting the hang on my landings!) Gonna have a few rainy days so next week I hope to take her on a longer flight... 

-Don 

20210118_175238.jpg

20210118_175241.jpg

20210118_175245.jpg

20210118_175314.jpg

• Like 1

PMA7000M ordered! Got a nice deal from Chief - direct slide in so I can legally do it!

Talked to the avionics shop doing the G5 - they are a TrueTrak dealer so they will get that setup with the wiring David did. 

Gonna be a capable bird with a decent avionics stack!

-Don

4E6574C1-1F35-48E7-A96D-D38D96587A0E.jpeg

PMA7000M-BT is in! Will be heading out tomorrow to install and test. Weather is gonna be low IFR so will do a flight test Monday... 

Gonna address small squawks but nothing big... 

Waiting for the LHS to come in so I can do that when I have the G5 done. Then wait for a while for the Trutrak. If it's not released by 3rd quarter, I'll do the G5 AI.. 

Box from PS Engineering:

20210123_181358.jpg

Well, it's plug n play! Was able to swap the audio panels out... Worked on first try. Also treated the rubber shocks and tires. Now test flight on Tuesday to confirm flight ops... 

Panel is getting there! 

-Don 

20210124_141925.jpg

20210124_141938.jpg

20210124_141805.jpg

• Like 2

Went out today to test the new audio panel, worked as advertised! Easy peasy to use, monitor, validated the nav - perfect. 

The back light on the StormScope is out so found a good one very reasonable - gonna have that switch out when I do the G5. Works great on daylight just not at night. I do have a backup plan for that if it happens again - unit/wiring was $495 with 30 day warranty - not bad! 

Had a 70°-90° direct crosswind today 15-25 - tested me good!  Last one of the day was very gusty - did it full Flaps and yep, got the balloon. She settled really well just before I was about to do a go around. Learned a lot of what she likes... 

Couple of weeks and G5 time! 

-Don 

Another great day of flying today! She’s loving the exercise for sure ;o) Lots of nice days before the G5 install so gettin’ while the gettin’s good!

Loving the new avionics for sure. Have to look for a local CFI to do some night flying too. Did some last year but, would be nice to get some hrs there too...

Super flying plane ;o)

-Don

Replacement StormScope came in! Nicely packed! Seller is standing behind it so should be great!

UPS delayed my LHS so hoping I’ll have that in the next couple of days...

Looking forward to restarting my IFR training ;o)

-Don

Had to fix my door handle leather. Used leather super glue but, I've found some new leather to replace it:

Vintage leather amp handles! Cheap, leather and I can cut to size. 

Amazon has them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CLQ71Q3?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Many colors and a nice, cheap alternative... 

-Don 

20210129_150258.jpg

41yuxFt6ucL._AC_SY780_.jpg

• Like 1

Flew her again today - gusty crosswind practice. I’ll post pic of where I’m putting my iPad mini now (co-pilots side of the windshield).

I go for my 3rd class medical again tomorrow (have to do the whole thing every year now). I passed all the required test so hopefully it’s just a formality with the AME...

-Don

• Like 1

LHS arrived! Can't wait to get this installed. Pics below. 

Took her out for some night flying - lights are not up to snuff so, will be looking at options - LED for sure... Can't see the Mitchell gauges (don't appear to have lights hooked up) and can't see the trim settings at night - gotta fix that for sure. 

Last pic is of the panel.. I found the 496 is in the way (especially at night ground ops) so I removed it again. IPad works good there but, I'd bet in bumpy weather, it will be a bit hard to manipulate. I have the Xnaut there to provide cooling when it's hot... 

Still she's a lot of fun to fly! 

20210201_140934.jpg

20210201_140925.jpg

20210201_140921.jpg

20210131_152342.jpg

Something interesting came up here on the forum around special issuances. I received a pm from a pilot/cardiologist who recommended I go Basic Med now. I’ve passed back to back 3rd class medicals and my cardiologist is an expert on FAA special issuances. He’s agreed to do my Basic Med and, since he knows my health better than anyone, it just makes sense. I can still fly to the Bahamas and Mexico (not Canada - yet) so, for 99% of my flying, Basic Med just works for me. I see my core doctors every year (Cardiologist 2x a year) and this will keep me active and valid without having to wait. I can have both at the same time so while I wait for my new 3rd class medical, I can still fly with Basic Med. after this 3rd class medical,  I’ll just do Basic Med. 

Didn’t even consider that at first but now, it just makes sense...

-Don

• Like 3

Basic Med is done!  I've still applied for my 3rd class medical but this will allow me to legally fly while I wait for the 'covid' delay ;o).  This will be the last 3rd class unless the something new comes up (that will be up to me to keep the health/exercises/dr visits current each year).

Plan is next week for G5 and LHS -- hoping the weather cooperates ;o)

-Don

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, hammdo said:

Great day to fly here today (68°!)

Flew to Sulphur Springs as I have not been there yet. Fun little runway as the threshold is jutting out on the lake a bit. Testing mixtures and settings to find what it likes. 

Below are map pics of the airport (yes, that is a grass field on the right). So far 14.5 hrs on her in a little over a month. 

-Don

82382E56-183A-4B04-9068-F7B3FF9A975D.png

C46780CC-A9E6-41A7-8AD7-140CDE3AABE1.png

Hey next time you land here stop by the red barn cafe. It’s a short walk from the airport parking ramp but bring cash tgey don’t accept credit cards or checks.