N2652W will have a new home!

Well, finally, JD from SWTA said the new windshield is in! Now just trying to get it scheduled… crazing had started to take over on the co-pilots side - time to get it fixed…

hopeful it’s soon…

-Don

Had to cancel the flight today -- electric pump making noise so that needs to be checked out:

Before doing the pre-flight, I installed the baggage area panels.  Turned out nice:

IMG_1881 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1882 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1883 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Planes @ SWTA for the windshield. Nice place but airport was a bit hard to see. Heard the airport will be resurfacing the runway and lines so that will help….

Cant wait to get her back in a week or so…

-Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windshield should be ready sometime next week! I’m waiting for the airport to reopen (resurfacing the runway). If anyone has time and possibly give me a ride to 84R, it would be appreciated. 

Looking forward to the new windshield…

-Don

• Like 1

Airport still closed (84R) so sounds like end of week - depending on weather….

JD is sealing up the windshield today… one more squawk to be done…

next will be the right fuel tank patch….

-Don

On 4/22/2023 at 8:22 PM, hammdo said:

Windshield should be ready sometime next week! I’m waiting for the airport to reopen (resurfacing the runway). If anyone has time and possibly give me a ride to 84R, it would be appreciated. 

Looking forward to the new windshield…

-Don

JD and Laura at SWTA are great people. We are fortunate to have them working on Mooneys.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Decided today to replace the cylinder drain hoses -- you'll see they were leaking -- I've tighten them but it was pretty clear that was not going to do it any more -- fairly simple -- took my time and did both sides -- some pics to show the steps. Cleaned things up and did a 1 hour maintenance flight -- dry as a bone after the flight.  I did put some chafing tape on the tube where possible rubbing may occur. 8 clamps, 4 hoses -- now all new again after 17 years...

IMG_2054 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2056 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2057 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2058 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2060 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2062 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2063 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2065 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2066 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2067 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2069 (Medium).JPG

13 hours ago, hammdo said:

Decided today to replace the cylinder drain hoses -- you'll see they were leaking -- I've tighten them but it was pretty clear that was not going to do it any more -- fairly simple -- took my time and did both sides -- some pics to show the steps. Cleaned things up and did a 1 hour maintenance flight -- dry as a bone after the flight.  I did put some chafing tape on the tube where possible rubbing may occur. 8 clamps, 4 hoses -- now all new again after 17 years...

IMG_2054 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2056 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2057 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2058 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2060 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2062 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2063 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2065 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2066 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2067 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2069 (Medium).JPG

Lycoming used to use Wittek tower hose clamps on those hoses. They never leak, but the company went bankrupt in ‘93, so now we have regular hose clamps.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Plane is doing great. Set a date for Maxwells do a patch on my right fuel tank. Want to get that done before doing anything else. Oil change done, waiting for report from Blackstone. The only accessory I need to plan on is the mechanical fuel pump. Loving the new windshield! Planning trips to Lubbock and Gillette Wyoming. Wyoming will be after the fuel tank is patched.

-Don

Flight to Lubbock was good, got a chance to see what it’s like taking 3 adults and density altitude of 6500 ft was like. She did ok, required a higher fuel flow to keep cool. Stormscope acted up so, that will be switched out. Right fuel sender will be sent for overhaul, noticed it was wiggling too much for my liking.  3 weeks and she’ll be at Maxwells for a right tank patch. Seems maintenance is an on going process for this old gal but, she does like to fly!

Bought an IcyBreeze and Wing View tint - the tint works great and made for a very comfortable trip! I really like I can move those as needed… waiting on the IcyBreeze - made in Sweetwater!

-Don

• Like 1

IcyBreeze Arrived!  Looks very well made, lots of options (I have the 10 amp battery, dual outlets and remote!).  Very nice unit and look forward to trying it out VERY soon.

Here are some pics -- well boxed and protected -- like the lifetime warranty (except scratches etc):

IMG_2138 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2139 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2140 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2141 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2142 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2143 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

The IcyBreeze fits (very close though)!  I had to push it down as the top of the rear seat leans back.  Still had space for the towbar and my tool bags.  Opening the lid is very tight but at least it fit.  Easy in/out of the baggage door.  Note I have the handle positioned to the door opening to facilitate removal.  I have a pump to remove the excess water after use.  We'll see how it works.

I need fly her to see how the right fuel sender is working -- I may wait until the fuel tank patch to have it overhauled.

Stormscope switchout this weekend...

-Don

IMG_2146 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2144 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2145 (Medium).JPG

1 hour ago, natdm said:

Holy cow it takes up the entire baggage area for what sounds like just ground operations. I'd have to look for one that's half that size.

Edit: appreciate the review so far!

I put my B-Kool on the back seat behind the front passenger and run the seatbelt through the handle in front of it.   It's not very intrusive there, but I rarely have anyone in the back seat, and even more rarely in the summer.

Same here but I tend to put my flight bag in the rear seat for easy access but, that is an option!  I'll try both ways -- I will only need to use it about 4 months out of the year.

AZ and Texas have those brutal months and I do need 'some' relief for really about an hour to hour and a half...

-Don

Went to swap out the StormScope and this one didn't work either.  I did some investigating and it looks like the connector is bad on the wiring harness.  I discovered 4 pins 'pushed out'. I pushed them back in but every time I tried to connect to the StormScope, they pushed out.  I do have a good wiring harness so may need to swap them out.  

While I was there, I added a 'knee bolster' (something I used when racing to rest the knee) to the wheel well plastic cover.  My leg gets a little sore on long flights so got this one from Amazon -- fits nice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCWDQ7R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I ran the 3m velcro vertical so I could remove the bolster and also remove the cover easily -- will be trying that out on the next flight along with the IcyBreeze.

Pics:

IMG_2149 (Medium).JPG

IMG_2150 (Medium).JPG

• Like 2

Well, after spending time looking over the StormScope issue, looks like I’ll modernize and get an Insight StrikeFinder. I want the GFC-500 however; I have become accustomed to having that kind of instrumentation for Texas weather. I’m still waiting for Garmin resolution for trim so I’ll wait another year.

Looks like Insight has a Oshkosh special so I’ll look into that. I have the right tank planned so timing is an issue. 

Never a dull moment in aircraft ownership…

-Don