N2652W will have a new home!

The oat probe for insight is an electronic one - not a typical probe:

6CC9054E-E103-4468-93E9-D31210E07810.jpeg

this will be my third one - they last about a year.

The carb is a more typical probe - however readings are all over the place once things heat up - It's possible this probes' issue may have started after the mixture control install. I'll need to remove the sleeve around the attachments to verify (in the engine bay). I did a ground test of the probes and all showed good. Inflight carb failed...

-Don

Found the issue with the carb temp! 

Fixed it and its passing the probe test. Saved me $200 for the probe/kit.

I had to redo the back seat kick panel as the 'carpet' foam disintegrated when it was removed for annual (had Velcro and it did not hold up).

Simple fix with a faux leather (yes it passes fire test) and the good panel backing:

IMG_1676 (Medium).JPG

• Like 2

Good news for the carb temp probe!

Lets fix the OAT probe issue…

Same logic… very comfy temp range for the instrument no need to die in a year’s time…

:)

-a-

Only thing I could find from their site…

Insights OAT and IAT probes provide accurate measurement of air temperatures both inside and outside the cabin. Durable and long lasting, these probes are easy to install.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:28 PM, carusoam said:

His latest video wouldn’t allow me to comment…  it’s about 15 minutes old now.

:)

-a-

I had it safe for kids - which automatically disabled comments. Fixed that so now comments active... but only good ones ;o)

-Don

• Haha 1

Looks like the OAT for the G2 is working now -- I ran the test to verify the probe.  I re-installed the probe and reoriented it so the connector would fit more completely.  I'll need to flight test to verify it actually is ok (vibration test).

Getting prepped for the IFR check ride (reviewing log books -- I guess I'll need to break down and do the electronic updates to ForeFlight using the excel spreadsheet -- LOTS to enter there).

Plane's doing well, almost time to change the oil again -- within the next couple of hours...

-Don

• Like 1

IFR ck ride is set for tomorrow! Lots of prep and ground work. DPE prices have gone up quite a bit since I took my last check ride some 25 years ago ;o)

Plane is ready, documents ready, sign offs ready, current flight review - boy, makes my head spin…

With all this flying, I’d better be ready… 

-Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammdo said:

IFR ck ride is set for tomorrow! Lots of prep and ground work. DPE prices have gone up quite a bit since I took my last check ride some 25 years ago ;o)

Plane is ready, documents ready, sign offs ready, current flight review - boy, makes my head spin…

With all this flying, I’d better be ready… 

-Don

Good luck!

• Like 1

Now that the IR ticket is done, changed oil today, getting her ready for my first IFR x-country. One of the camloc pins broke so have a new camloc on order. 

Looking forward to a trip and stretching the Mooneys legs a bit...

gonna look for camloc install vids now...

-Don

Great Trip to Jackson (McKellar-Sipes) and Rockwood!  This Mooney is amazing -- 148 knots true and 7.1 GPH block time!   I have the fuel receipt to prove it! Key #s were 2300 RPM and 21" MAP (44 Key#).  Landing at Rockwood was crazy -- winds varied from 330-070 and 9 knots gusting to 22!  Was quite a challenge! 

G5 HSI shows the 37 mph winds (varied 35- 45 mph) I had to deal with.

Pics of the settings, the trip time to MKL (which I was using to track fuel consumption) and video!

G2-MAP.jpg

G5s-Cruize.jpg

IMG_1701 (Medium).PNG

RPM.jpg

IMG_1702 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

Damn, got the IR, now over 500 hrs, over 250 in type and my insurance went UP $400.. That’s liability and not in motion coverage - I did have the engine out claim in 2020… I’m removing MAPA this year as the $250 for that should be covered by them. That will help some (paid it last year).

I may need to see what Avemco can do…

Parker probably has the same underwriting as Falcon. 

sucks…

-Don

26 minutes ago, hammdo said:

MAPA safety foundation. I was taking their course but my insurance now charges for you to have coverage - to take a safety course. Makes no sense…

-Don

I agree, it makes no sense, they should discount your insurance for the added safety training you get from attending the MAPA PPP - some of the insurance under writers actually do exactly that!

Its not well publicized who gives such discounts. Last September Parker helped with me with a Wings presentation I gave to our San Diego pilots including discounts given by different underwriters that I pasted below. Its a year old now but probably still reasonably accurate. If your underwriter is listed make sure you're fully taking advantage of what they offer. But don't blame MAPA, we're surviving on fees and donations - not making a profit!

image.png.2e741dce2781199a23ba4a3a0399b20d.pngimage.png.7712a9a8f1ef5a718931622c819285f2.png

• Like 1

I’m with Falcon so you’d think they’d know that since they are also involved - and I do ask. My beef is I brought that up last year with MAPA and the Safety foundation when I took the course. I was going to be charged again this year, so I removed it. Also, with the IR et all, I didn’t expect an increase. I’m not the only one who was also charged for coverage to take the safety course last year. I gave all my memberships too. Falcon said it’s a tight market. My hope was Falcon and MAPA SF would discuss this with the underwriters. My only other call is Avemco to see what they can do…

I like the course, I just would like the SF and Falcon to work with underwriting to remove that.

-Don

22 minutes ago, hammdo said:

I’m with Falcon so you’d think they’d know that since they are also involved - and I do ask. My beef is I brought that up last year with MAPA and the Safety foundation when I took the course. I was going to be charged again this year, so I removed it. Also, with the IR et all, I didn’t expect an increase. I’m not the only one who was also charged for coverage to take the safety course last year. I gave all my memberships too. Falcon said it’s a tight market. My hope was Falcon and MAPA SF would discuss this with the underwriters. My only other call is Avemco to see what they can do…

I like the course, I just would like the SF and Falcon to work with underwriting to remove that.

-Don

The Safety Foundation and MAPA are separate entities. The MAPA office helps the Safety Foundation with registrations but it ends there as far as I know. Falcon has no relationship with the Safety Foundation. Although I can't speak directly for the Safety Foundation, I am just an instructor, they're entirely devoted to bringing the best Mooney specific instruction they can and have no relationships with any insurance companies. 

Avemco will gives a 10% discount annually for completing a Wings Phase, which is awarded at the Advanced Level by attending a MAPA PPP.

Well the trip back from the Smokies went great. Stopped for fuel @ Pine Bluff/Grider.  They dropped fuel prices over the weekend to get folks to stop!  The lineman was great said the restaurant is a great place to stop -- during the week ;o).  Easy airport in/out and decent runway.  At one point it had a tower but that appeared to be close up for some time.  RNAV 36 approach was nice and easy.  Atlanta, Memphis, and Ft. Worth were great the whole trip -- super helpful.  I found IFR flying much easier than VFR -- we had a haze layer from Pine Bluff all the way to Mesquite where the horizon was completely gone -- could not see it at all.

20-35 knot head winds   slowed her down but she hummed along @ key # 45 (23/22) -- I'm in no rush so getting about 7.4 gallons per hour is ok with me ;o)  Was truing out around 143-145 knots @ 6000 feet. Great little plane!

I have a couple of squawks I'll need to address -- small seeps of fuel (tanks -- nothing big according to the manual) and a small amount of oil that's causing a streak -- I'm guessing fuel pump.  I'll probably take her to Maxwells at some point after annual to get those checked out.  I'll be heading down to do an after flight checkout and some cleaning.  I always like to look after 10 hours of flight time -- 10.64 hours tack time on this past trip.  Didn't add any oil yet but I'm sure she'll need a quart.  I'll take that even with the very small oil leak.  I'll get my camera and look around to see if I can spot the location.

All in all, she did great the whole trip, air was smooth (until landing) and sipped fuel.  I was able to lean her out and applied just a little carb heat to help smooth out the distribution (it was really amazing to see how that little trick work!)

Mooney made a GREAT plane. I can only imagine how great the J and up do with all the improvements...

-Don

• Like 1

Another 'good' Blackstone report! She's doing great, trends are wonderful. I just did a checkout after the cross country - she's humming along!

I'm  going to get a flow meter installed as I'd like to see how things are in near real-time.

A few squawks (small oil leak, fuel tanks to be touched up). My next upgrade will be an auto-pilot but, I'm seriously considering the GFC500 now. Have to plan that hopefully in the next year.

Really enjoying this plane...

-Don

7EBBC375-A016-4557-8C81-4D9A028435F0.jpeg