N2652W will have a new home!

On 1/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, hammdo said:

Went out today to test the new audio panel, worked as advertised! Easy peasy to use, monitor, validated the nav - perfect. 

The back light on the StormScope is out so found a good one very reasonable - gonna have that switch out when I do the G5. Works great on daylight just not at night. I do have a backup plan for that if it happens again - unit/wiring was $495 with 30 day warranty - not bad! 

Had a 70°-90° direct crosswind today 15-25 - tested me good!  Last one of the day was very gusty - did it full Flaps and yep, got the balloon. She settled really well just before I was about to do a go around. Learned a lot of what she likes... 

Couple of weeks and G5 time! 

-Don 

Where did you go to get your storm scope parts? I have one that i need to get repaired too. 

On 1/24/2021 at 5:04 PM, hammdo said:

Well, it's plug n play! Was able to swap the audio panels out... Worked on first try. Also treated the rubber shocks and tires. Now test flight on Tuesday to confirm flight ops... 

Panel is getting there! 

-Don 

20210124_141925.jpg

20210124_141938.jpg

20210124_141805.jpg

What did you use to treat the rubber shocks with?

2 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

Where did you go to get your storm scope parts? I have one that i need to get repaired too. 

I bought a whole working unit with tray and all on eBay — backlight works too! $495 total. Mine still works (great during the day) but, I fly @ night so wanted the back light.

-Don

7 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

What did you use to treat the rubber shocks with?

VRT (Adams Polishes) or you can use any tire dressing from any auto parts store. It helps with all the drying out of rubber and keeps them in good shape. I also use it on any rubber items exposed...

-Don

Finally, she is at Commerce to get the G5 DG/HSI, updated StormScope, and the LHS installed! Will probably take a week but she will be a capable plane! Edge is also Trutrak dealer and they have Pipers lined up for them. Ugh... Where's mine ;o) 

Plan is to get the second G5 later this year and see where Trutrak goes. 

She's flying great... 

-Don 

Things are rollin’ along! Discussed with the shop about my right mag - It’s past the 500 hr limit and, while I’ve had 0 issues, the only way to know it’s condition is to send it out for inspection. We’re doing that now while the avionics are getting done. One less thing to do at annual ;o)

-Don

Well, mag was 3 weeks out so gonna wait for that. Everything else is done! Picking her up tomorrow - can't wait! 

Gonna test her out. I have a gopro and will see if I can get audio later. 

Fun! 

-Don 

Success! G5 worked flawlessly, LHS is fantastic. The call out for ck gear had me subconsciously reaching for the Johnson Bar to confirm. Love it. The G5 does a countdown for shutoff. Avionics shop said to let it count down and don't shut it off manually... 

Here are pics!

20210303_140516.jpg

20210303_135132.jpg

20210303_140520.jpg

20210303_140529.jpg

20210303_134840.jpg

20210303_123218.jpg

20210303_125839.jpg

Electric step is ordered (help a fellow Mooney brother out ;o). ! I’ll get that done later and then prep for G5 AI - then vac system can go!

I’m not holding out for BK to get the TruTrak out this year so these upgrade will help in the mean time...

-Don

What a great day to fly and boy was it busy! This was my first full day with the G5 and LHS. Both performed fantastic. The LHS really helps with landings - beyond pleased with that. Lots of traffic and practice with king airs and the like - just a fun 2 hrs of pattern work. My landings are improving and I'll be focusing more on centerline landing (just a little bit left so I want right on centerline next time out). Wind was shifting a bit so that was part of what I also need to anticipate. Got my gopro cable and lense so I'll see about getting it going next time out. Flying is really fun again... 

-Don 

Always enjoy reading about your excitement Don! You sound like a teenager again and always positive. 
I just had mi AI replaced with G5 by My AP/IA here in Grants pass. Wish I could’ve done it but we are moving to Cedar City and the moving trucks are here. Think I’ll tackle the HSI with him next time. The G5 PFD is amazing, so glad I went that route over AV-30c. Especially for instrument training. Cuts down on a couple spokes on my scan. 

I’m glad too about the Garmin choice - yea, with 20 years off it’s all new again ;o). I’m wanting to get real comfortable with the Mooney then off I go! Almost 30 hrs on her since I got her. I’ll get the GoPro going soon. The challenges of the Mooney sure keep you on your game ;o)

‘Thanks for watching’ ;o)

-Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammdo said:

My landings are improving and I'll be focusing more on centerline landing (just a little bit left so I want right on centerline next time out).

Put the centerline between your legs.  It works no mater what seat your flying from.

23 hours ago, hammdo said:

Yep, I hear ya and I know that is what I’m supposed to do but sometimes I just get ‘vapor lock’ ;o)

-Don

Ha, I understand.  When flying with students and young co-pilots in the Beech 400 and PC-12, they would always land on the side they were sitting on.  Darn brain plays tricks on you.  For some I would challenge them to land on the other side of CL, usually they ended up right on.  Of course a few would manage to line up with the edge lighting.  As soon as they figured it out they would end up in the other seat, and the process would start all over again.

CL control became a big deal when we moved to assault landings and only had a 30' x 300' touch down zone with a wheel span of 15'.  It's like shooting, aim small, miss small.

• Thanks 1

Got the oil change done today - ~57 hrs on it so it was due for sure. Went with Phillips Victory 20w50 with CamGuard (have a few bottles from the ‘B’ so figured why not use it up). Went with Tempest Spin-Ez filter. Did good with no leaks after run-up. Did all the towels and plastic bag on the filter and oil still seems to find a path down.. I’ll do better next time.

Cleaned the engine area well and can see no major oil leaks developing so that is good...

Gonna fly it tomorrow and make sure all is well :o)

edit:

only used ~4 qts oil in that time too!

-Don

7 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Why is that?

The countdown is to give you time to push the button and thus tell it to keep running on battery power. If you lost electrical power in flight, you want it to keep running on battery. But when you shut down at the hangar after a flight, you want it to shut off. Therefore anytime it looses power, it gives a 5 second countdown and if no input, it turns off. 

Holding the button to force it off is akin to a hard shutdown on your phone or computer.