N2652W will have a new home!

Well, there are a few ‘gremlins’ that still need to be worked out but, she’s up and flying!  Happens when a plane sits a bit. David is knocking them out. Once these are done, she will be in excellent flight shape!

Second flight was fun to watch:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2652W

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2652W/history/20201105/2231Z/tracklog

Listened to live atc, watched on flight aware and ForeFlight...

-Don

On 6/26/2020 at 2:52 PM, hammdo said:

David and I met up this week and knocked out the details.  Put a deposit on her today!

The great news is David now has the time (and incentive ;o) to get the cowling to a state where I'll be able to fly it home (sometime in late August or early September).  For those who are waiting for the cowling, this will help you folks as well.

Very excited and David has been awesome to work with.  As the plane is put back together and flying again, I'll update folks with its progress.  We have a few items to knock out and she'll also have a Surefly mag to replace the left one.  Can't wait!

Once I get some time flying her, I'll be looking @ adding a Garmin GNC 355 GPS/COM with CDI.  Because I'll be waiting on the Garmin, it will put a damper on my IFR training in 52W a bit. I'll probably add the Garmin early next year.  This will give me more time to save some money, study, and get better -- maybe do some simulator training to keep my IFR training going.

Sorry to those who are waiting on the new cowling, but I'm now first in line ;o)

-Don

You are getting a great "C"!  Very fast and it has been well cared for.  Enjoy!

Well, down to one squawk left — static in the headsets — David has worked his tail off to get her ready! ;o)

Hoping for a simple reason and fix. Once that is done, David will do another test flight and hopefully, that will be it!

Fingers crossed!

-Don

• Like 2

I’m happy to report that 2652W is complete and squawk free. The biggest issue of static in the headsets was caused by the rear seat jacks touching the aluminum on the insulation as the airplane was flying and the panel flexing. It’s a good solid and Fast C model and looking forward to Don coming up and taking her home! 
David

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I’m happy to report that 2652W is complete and squawk free. The biggest issue of static in the headsets was caused by the rear seat jacks touching the aluminum on the insulation as the airplane was flying and the panel flexing. It’s a good solid and Fast C model and looking forward to Don coming up and taking her home! 
David

Hell to the friggin' yes! ;o)

Cannot wait!

-Don

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to update the plans:

David’s CFI (Patrick) plans to get her to Texas next Wednesday! Weather (and the Holiday) make that a necessity for now. Looking forward to having her here...

I’ll get a check out from Patrick and, get her ready for the G5!

The waiting ....

-Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammdo said:

Plans are in motion! Barring weather, 2652W should be at North Texas Regional around noon Wednesday! Talked to David and Patrick tonight. Super excited... 

Fingers crossed! 

-Don 

Congrats on getting the C to Texas. 52F (NW Regional) may have some hangar space available. Also highly recommend Airspeed Insurance if you are shopping around. Call Parker Woodruff, 214-295-5055 (office), Parker@airspeedinsurance.com. Parker also checked me out in my C model when she was new to me.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Looked a bit ago @ 52F for hangers. Nice airport!

Where I’m at right now is good but will keep options open if I can find a hanger for a reasonable $ closer...

‘The Landings’ - nice!

-Don

• Like 1

Finally! 

Weather was not great for me to fly (500 ft ceiling - checked now and 300 ft with mist) so I'll need to wait until Saturday. Patrick did a ground ck out with me on the ops of the plane, I taxied the plane to get a feel with the new shocks... She started great with the SureFly (didn't have to pump gas since it was sitting a short time). 

Very excited... Now to do some chair flying to get the flow down ;o)... 

-Don 

IMG_2222.jpg

• Like 6

Got to fly her today- boy is she FAST! Flew her about 4.5 hrs today and worked with my CFI. Gonna be fun for sure. Just a couple of squawks to resolve but such a strong flyer.

My CFI, who’s flown quite a few Moody’s, said it faster than the F we’ve both flown and is as fast as the E he’s flown. Me, I just know she’s fastest of the 3 I’ve flown (B, C, F)...

Slowing her down the first time was a challenge but with the practice, finally figured it out. Last landing of the day was the best, right on speed, pitch...

More fun ahead...

- Don

• Like 4

Yep! It’s been a LONG time (20 years) since I flew solo too ;o). I have plenty of room for learning - that is for sure...

SOLO flying, new airport, looking for landmarks again, lots of learning...

-Don

December in North Texas...

how many days can I play hooky - going out today to test my Xmas present #2 - Bose a20s... wife got them for me ‘o)

Gonna do some inspections today since she has 10 hrs since she’s been back together. Plan is to address some items I discovered during flight (mostly small).

Beautiful day to do that ;o)

-Don

A90BDC7B-21BC-4916-96C8-6124B5B86786.png

• Like 2

Finally got a chance to see the hanger. Wow, nice setup. Was able to take the cowling off and just do a quick check out. Everything looked good. Topped off the oil (1/2 qt down - not bad!), checked out connection to the engine monitor, and tested out the Bose - wow... Some kinda headset! 

Cleaned out the hord David gave me ;o) and cleaned things a bit. 

BTW, some hanger mates:

Resized_Resized_20201206_171051.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20201206_171106.jpeg

Her new digs:

Resized_Resized_20201206_170922.jpeg

• Like 1