N2652W will have a new home!

David was able to install the GDL 82 (for ADS-B):

img_4872.jpg

And the Oil Cooler relocation bracket:

img_4870.jpg

A very different location for the cooler!  There will be some fun testing that out too!

-Don

• Like 2

Yes but to have a backup left if I should need it in a pinch.. Shower of sparks will still be around (disabled of course) or, I could just sell it.. It's just an extra mag ;o) 

-Don 

Just spoke to David -- looks like the FAA in the region is not ready to do field approvals (Wuhan virus) so the new Sabremech cowling will have to wait.  Since David and I want to get the plane ready, we agreed to go with the existing Sabremech cowling and do the new one when the FAA is ready.  I can fly the plane up to David at that point and have it done -- if things 'align' ;o) David and I adjusted the price of the plane accordingly so that works out fine for me.

Mag install is going well -- David believes he'll get it finished on Wednesday of this week.  

-Don

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Next round of updates:

David has updated the baffles and did paint the spinner and gaps seals for the wings.  Also began the install of the gen 1 Sabremech cowling until he can get the FAA to work though Gen 2.  Interior is getting the 'new treatment too:

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

seat covers in progress (David's Dad is doing these):

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

Going to look awesome!

-Don

• Like 1

Yep!

Once I get flying her a bit and get my IR, I'll update to the GNC 355 (going to use the GX60 right now for the IR ticket since it also has ILS/GS with the KX 155).  After that, we'll see about what comes next ;o)

Gen 2 Sabremech cowling will have to wait until the FAA helps David out...

Can’t wait to see the front and back seats in!

-Don

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 8:33 PM, Flybeech21 said:

Congrats!!!   I sold N2652W to Dave years ago.  I should have my back side kicked for not buying it back when I had the chance.  I am now stuck with a M20E that was perfect on paper that has been trouble every day I have had it...

Congrats again.  My family and I have some great memories in that bird.  

Do you have any advice for someone buying their first M20E or M20C based on your first experience and your most recent one? 

1) buy from a known entity...

2) knowing the last owner is the best resource...

3) A solid Pre-purchase inspection... is imperfect, but is the best for knowing about what you are about to buy...

4) Buy a plane that has everything you want in it already...

5) Installing new stuff cost as much as whatever the device cost...

6) Transition Training is important...

7) Certain things are not always self teachable...

8) Avoid buying the bottom rung of each of the Mooney ladders... A mid priced F will be better than a low priced J...

9) The bottom rung of each ladder will need lots of expensive updating...

10) have no fear, keep both eyes open, move forwards with alacrity... knowledge kills fear...

See what Don / @hammdo thinks... since we are in his thread... :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Anthony covered quite a bit. If you read about my first Mooney (B) you’ll note it was a very well maintained one — 380 hrs on factory engine and prop, 1 year out from a Don Maxwell extensive annual, no corrosion, interior in great shape, was VFR but had a good panel and I updated the avionics and windshield. She was very solid. Easy first annual.

Then the engine out — so you never know - even when it all looks good on paper.

This one from David has more hrs and is getting some nice upgrades. Knowing David has made this an easier choice. We both did a through inspection (David is an AP/IA FAA/PMA) so that helps since I trust him.

Not everyone can find that but, finding a plane that has close to what you want is the goal — and once you find it act - make part of the purchase a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Have them ck the big thing first and if those are ok, then do the rest. 

Don’t forget the title search with NO LIENS - can't stress this enough as this can be a real downer and YOU will be responsible for paying that if you buy the plane (if its not a 'paper work' error)!  Make this a condition of your purchase -- protect yourself.  I use AOPA's full title search service since I'm a member -- and got all the STCs etc's with it.

The transition training is very important. I’d expect insurance to require 25 hrs dual, 10 solo. Make sure to get you complex sign-off (if you don’t have it) while transition training.

If you’ve flown C’s (Cessna) and P’s (Pipers), the Mooney is a bit different (especially if you get the J-Bar), stall is definitely different, but I’ve found it to be welcoming to fly - manage speeds for landing and it will be perfect. Expect ‘stiffer’ control feels since there are tubes vs wire for controls.

This is my 4th plane I’ve  owned (2 Mooneys with David’s ) and the Mooney was always my dream plane...

Follow Anthony’s list will get you there...

-Don

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rodeo John said:

Has this configuration improved oil cooling ?

The C’s and G’s don’t appear to have oil temp problems like some of the IO equipped Mooney’s I’ve heard. A friend of mine has this oil relocation on his C and temps are fine. This is the only place I can move the cooler on the C and G models with the battery up front. This has to be done for my new cowling. 
David