Brittain service bulletin #004

18 minutes ago, Matt Ward said:

Thanks.  I am familiar with the electric step and will be doing that if I can't get it fixed - just trying this first.  I assume the 67 C step is the same as in a 66 E.  How much are you looking to sell it for?   

What’s the nature of the problem? 

The step won't retract.  The initial "tug" on the step seems too great for the servo.  My guess is the old rubber is too rigid.  I took everything off, inspected and cleaned, and found a tiny pinhole in the rubber boot.  I fixed that with silicone and it seems to not leak anymore.  But, the pressure isn't enough to overcome inertia.  There could be a leak somewhere resulting in too little vacuum pressure - I just don't have a way to test this.

Things that go wrong with the step...

The electrical tape ages and gets loose...

The rubber bellow(?) can get holy...

The step parts can get dirty...

Be careful cleaning the spring... it likes two different configurations of low energy... the configuration with the lowest energy is a pain to undo...

All of it is pretty owner friendly...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

There are a few Servos for sale around here...

The electric Servo motor is really cool... more than 100 in operation...

Best regards,

-a-

Like @carusoam said above, really simple system. I rebuilt mine several years ago, clean and lube (silicone spray) the step and make sure its free, I hooked my hand vacuum pump to verify it worked then hooked it back to the ships vacuum and had someone watch it as the engine started... 

• Like 1

Just now, Hector said:

Check the electrical tape on the servo boot closely. You can remove the old electrical tape that is no longer providing a good seal and retape the servo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the service bulletin I'm looking for.  Supposedly it lays out how to tape it.  I'm not sure how it should be taped.

15 minutes ago, Matt Ward said:

That's the service bulletin I'm looking for.  Supposedly it lays out how to tape it.  I'm not sure how it should be taped.

IIRC its 3M Brand #33 electrical tape, there is an O-ring that goes on over the boot then the boot folds back over itself and it gets taped around the cuff trapping the O-ring and taping the boot to the servo can

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

IIRC its 3M Brand #33 electrical tape, there is an O-ring that goes on over the boot then the boot folds back over itself and it gets taped around the cuff trapping the O-ring and taping the boot to the servo can

That's how the wing and tail servos are done. I just don't remember the size of the o-ring, and of course the step will use a different one.

Just now, carusoam said:

Way to go RLC!

This evening’s... Pulling the rabbit out of the hat award goes to RLC!

:)

-a-

More like pulling my head out of my ???, I remembered I had it all along......lol

• Haha 1