12.9" iPad Pro Mount

1 minute ago, paulsalem said:

What's the best mount and location for this beast?

In a bag backing up the iPad mini.  Normal size ipad is big for a cockpit.  I have a big iPad pro, and I run Garmin Pilot on it, but I would have a hard time trying to use it in the plane.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, paulsalem said:

My work provides me with a 12.9" iPad pro.  I love it, and don't really want to buy another one just for the M20J I fly. What's the best mount and location for this beast?

Here’s one for only $29.99

Seriously, I love my 12.9” iPad Pro but it’s just too big for the cockpit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

I’d suggest just holding it up in the cockpit first. You’ll be surprised how much space it takes up. I tried and no way it it’ll fit on the panel or yoke within reason.  A mini is about perfect IMO with the 10 inch pro being a squeeze. 

What everybody else said....12.9 is too big. 

Your lap is probably the most convenient spot. I'm not a big kneeboard fan. But I do have this MyClip that I will sometimes put on. If it's bumpy it's just enough to keep the iPad from hitting you in the jaw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842BLLHX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Ogo9Eb5D423X6

I have a Mini as my primary....and an older iPad 10" as my backup.

Just now, wingtipwalker said:

But I do have this MyClip that I will sometimes put on. If it's bumpy it's just enough to keep the iPad from hitting you in the jaw.

Yea I tired that, in portrait the yoke blocks 1/2 the tablet, and it's too big to hold in landscape.

31 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I guess it is a good thing that no one told me a normal size iPad is too big for a Mooney cockpit.

IMG_7994.jpeg

Hello, its a glare shield not a shelf.  What happened to the view...... lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim F said:

Hello, its a glare shield not a shelf.  What happened to the view...... lol

Interestingly, the view isn't diminished much at all as the majority of each iPad screen is where the "A" pillars are which already limit the views in those locations to some extent.

Interestingly, the view isn't diminished much at all as the majority of each iPad screen is where the "A" pillars are which already limit the views in those locations to some extent.

Not that much! Of course this coming someone who removed the compass from center post because it blocks my view.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Not that much! Of course this coming someone who removed the compass from center post because it blocks my view.

Were did you put the compass? I'd like to remove mine from the center post as well.

23 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I guess it is a good thing that no one told me a normal size iPad is too big for a Mooney cockpit.

IMG_7994.jpeg

Different strokes I suppose :).  I toyed with mounting my iPad mini where you have the ipad on the right mounted.  I didn't care for that location.  I stuck a 796 on the copilot side and an ipad mini on the yoke.  I really liked that setup.  My old 205 has been gone for 2 years... I do miss that plane.

DSC_0182.thumb.JPG.63b87b44aaf1292b5f810f2340469f6b.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2020 at 2:28 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Hi @paulsalem I just replied to your PM. I use an iPad Pro 9.7" and it works great. I will probably go to the 11" Pro next. The 12.9" would just be too big if you ask me.

How do you mount your 9.7” Pro? DId you use the same type of yoke mount on the passenger side?   I’m looking for a spot for my 10.2”  in an E.

I'm using a MyGoFlight mount on the right side. I've tried every mount in the book and have a whole cupboard full of RAM mounts that I didn't like at all. The MyGoFlight is great.

IMG_2530.thumb.jpeg.76f5280273c6d0bbdc61c330f38bf038.jpeg

The mount allows the iPad to spin between landscape and portrait with just the touch of a finger.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpeg.d72034895fd0501d98bbc9613fc97294.jpeg

This is the Adhesive Petal base. It's just stuck on the panel. No drilling or screws. Then the Sport Mount Flex Clip base is attached to the Petal base with four screws. From there a fully articulating arm holds the iPad case and iPad.

IMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.149c39b14abce651fb7ec600cd620ee8.jpeg

• Like 1

I too have a work-issued 12.9" iPad that I would have loved to use but unfortunately its size is its downfall (for me).  During a recent panel upgrade I ended up doing away with my yoke-mounted 696 and went with an iPad mini mounted in a guardian mount.   I went with this mount:  https://www.guardianavionics.com/ifdr-aircraft-instrument-panel-flush-mount-ipad-mini-package-with-power-supply

They do have a panel mount for the 12.9".  If you could get it in your panel it would be awesome for sure.  https://www.guardianavionics.com/iPad-Pro-129-in-Panel-Mount-FAA-Certified-Apple-Lightning-Cable-Only-_c_31.html

-K

• 8 months later...