Scammed - Be aware

I was scammed out of $200 by a member’s recommendation to contact a person named Steve who has a Lycoming 0-360 and some engine parts for sale. Look out - I can’t believe someone infiltrated our group. My bad, caught me off guard that some low life would get into our community and learn just enough about Mooney’s and aviation to be believable.. damn

more details asked for

member harrylyod35 recommended that I contact Steve at stevensattazahn@gmail.com. 
he was supposedly selling Lycoming 0-360 parts and I sent him $$ for a core prop governor, and now the phone is disconnected and no one is responding. The phone was +1 (541) 238-5105. I can’t believe we have this happening on a Mooney forum!

member harrylyod35 recommended that I contact Steve at stevensattazahn@gmail.com. 
he was supposedly selling Lycoming 0-360 parts and I sent him $$ for a core prop governor, and now the phone is disconnected and no one is responding. The phone was +1 (541) 238-5105. I can’t believe we have this happening on a Mooney forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted a "WTB" ad in the parts section.  A MS "member" with 0 posts PM'd me twice with an offer to "help me get what I need".  I reported it and ignored.  How many posts did "user" harrylyod35 have?   If contacted by a noob regarding a transaction, I think ignoring/reporting is good policy.   I think that posting in the marketplace/parts category when buying/looking/selling also has the benefit that others can help to spot scammers.

Some good advice for knowing if you're dealing with a scammer online...Doug Reeves at Van's Airforce has posted this regarding scammers over there:  http://www.vansairforce.net/UsingTheClassifiedsSuggestions.htm

It's pretty common to find scammers, but it's getting more common to have them called out and exposed.  Especially if you are talking about a significant value, consider going through a trusted, neutral third party.   I bought a used Garmin 430W a few years ago, and used the services of a prominent member of VAF (who is also fairly prominent here on MS) as a go-between.  It worked out great, cost basically nothing, and only added a day or two to the process.

• Like 2