Found my oil leak

After my 10k annual by a MSC...(will remain nameless) I had an oil leak...oil was always on gear doors or the nose gear and inside the nose wheel well etc....this went on for about 10 hours of flying over 5 plus weeks or more.....

So my MSC mechanic told me that there was no leak and its coming out the breather....I told him I know my plane...fly it 100 hours a year and there must be a leak...

Long story short I find the leak myself and shared it in the video.....very disturbing to say the least......but what do I know I only pay the bills right...

My former college roommate, master A&P who fixed it for me could not believe it...he also fixed 2 other issues today that were messed up in my 10k annual and he did it without ever having worked on a mooney before.....

Also it did take one phone call to LASAR to answer a question or two but I feel like I have my plane back now and stress is gone......

I love my plane again......

understand my 10k annual was justified for what was done and I am not upset at that....but I should not have to pay a non mooney mechanic to fix what they messed up.....I am fine with high priced mx if it works and gives me unbelievable dispatch reliability....

I just dont want to have a high chance of engine failure after a 10k annual

Learning a lot this year.....

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but putting an MSC label on a shop does not guarantee they do the best work.  The quality of the work is more dependent on those turning the wrench than whether or not they are an MSC.  An MSC that is good can take a turn for the worse if there is a change in mechanics.  Likewise, one that was not so great can get better with new mechanics or more experience.

I'd rather go to a non-MSC with good mechanics than an MSC with average mechanics.  The hard part is finding out which is which.

Good job finding and fixing your leak.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I'd rather go to a non-MSC with good mechanics than an MSC with average mechanics.  The hard part is finding out which is which.

Good job finding and fixing your leak.

Agree,,,,,that is so difficult.

Should have been the first place to look!  I replaced my oil hoses this past year for chaffing in exactly the same spot. Put a piece of rubber on them or route them differently.  When it finally makes the hole it makes a mess. Trust me on that one. (It just takes a little hole and a little oil coming out to notice when it becomes a problem, probably not a catastrophic failure)

second,

a lot of people here praise the simplicity of the Mooney and then say only a Mooney specific mechanic can properly work on a Mooney. Which is it?  Is it simple? Or does it require some secret and advanced knowledge?  It can’t be both.

Truth is there isn’t anything on the airplane that cannot be done by any decent mechanic. A fact you just discovered. Only outside tools needed are those for the rigging. And even that isn’t hard. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Agree,,,,,that is so difficult.

I don’t have the IPC at home for your model year, but it should be close to this.  There should be a heat shield and several Adel clamps to secure the cooler hoses.

Clarence

4F0855F0-51D2-4738-BA03-2AD362A75084.jpeg

5 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I don’t have the IPC at home for your model year, but it should be close to this.  There should be a heat shield and several Adel clamps to secure the cooler hoses.

Clarence

4F0855F0-51D2-4738-BA03-2AD362A75084.jpeg

I’ve got all the adel clamps on my 64 D, but have never seen that curved heat shield piece....anybody have a pic one installed?

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

We did fix it with an adel clamp.....all is well with the oil line...

2 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

I’ve got all the adel clamps on my 64 D, but have never seen that curved heat shield piece....anybody have a pic one installed?

Here’s a pic from a ragedracer1977 post back last Nov showing the heat shield...

Also shows pretty clearly the carb air dump scat tubing, except it’s too short.  It should be long enough to exit the cowl flap.

tom

ACE86D23-D0FB-4E2F-9ADD-502AB19ECAD0.png

• Like 1

With the fire shield on the hoses one would think the heat shield over them would not be needed anymore. Mine went missing long before I got the airplane. 

Oil cooler lines have a much better life span with the fire shield covering than without. Its the radiated heat from the exhaust that kills the hoses (especially the old style black hoses).

No need to get fancy or expensive to benefit from the fire sleeves,  just get some fire sleeve from A/C Spruce and slide it over the hoses, Use a double wrap of safety wire at end to secure. Highly recommended. You check them at annual to see if they are still flexible or not. If stiff as aluminum tubing time to get new ones made. 

As noted above find a good picture of the Adel clamps for those hoses  and get them installed to avoid the chafing. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 8:17 AM, MIm20c said:

We had a similar experience coming out of a large MSC. From now on I’m avoiding larger shops, it took us months and $$ to fix what a $10k annual missed / screwed up. 

yeah large shops just want them in and out as fast as possible, if you find a thing they missed or screwed up you must make another appointment and then its the same thing again, in and out fast.....eventually you may get your issued resolved after a few visits at your cost of $$ and the downtime of which they dont care, they just have to many planes to work on.........my experience anyway from C150's to GVs...

Also when you go into those shops there are like 4 bosses....and nobody want to take accountability....I do not know how many times I have asked who did what to my plane and all I get is, "I dont know, I was not here, it was my day off, I was out on a service call, etc etc...."

I asked earlier this year if they have been checking my oil screen in addition to my filter during the annuals....all I got was a shoulder shrug...

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jim Peace said:

Also when you go into those shops there are like 4 bosses....and nobody want to take accountability....I do not know how many times I have asked who did what to my plane and all I get is, "I dont know, I was not here, it was my day off, I was out on a service call, etc etc...."

Welcome to the world of EASA certified organizations (be it maintenance, training or whatever). The only thing that matters is that the paperwork matches.

Good find.  I too am hunting for an oil leak.  I'll be sure to check all my hoses.

I had a pre-buy at an MSC (shall remain nameless)  and they missed quite a few things.  If they had found the mechanical issues I might not have purchased this plane or at least negotiated the repairs into the sale.  How is it that I (a first time plane owner) can find issued that an MSC didn't?   

I've heard great things about some MSC's and will follow the recommendations of other Mooney owners.   I'm sure its more isolated and they are not all bad.  

1 hour ago, flyingchump said:

How is it that I (a first time plane owner) can find issued that an MSC didn't?   

Easy, there’s nothing special about a “Mooney Mechanic“.   The only benefit is they might know what has to come off to work on the thing that is broken that is easily accessed on any other machine. 

the people that say you need a special mechanic to work on a Mooney are the same people who praise its simplicity. 

Edited by chriscalandro

There are probably 100 great Mooney mechanics...

People that have spent most of their working lives knowing all Mooney details, and their related engines...

The MSC is the most confusing name in the Mooney world... 

It used to be the place to go where Mooney factory training was part of the program...  Mechanics went there to build their career... they measured their experience in decades on the job...

Today...

Waves in the economy (since 2007) have made the stability of this business seriously challenging...

Mechanics are unable to stay in one place, and get paid what they are worth...

Retirement of legendary Mooney people is inevitable...

transfer of the business is not always a smooth process... some mechanics with skill, have been unable to buy the business because of cost...

There is no significant Factory support to maintain this awesome MSC system...

Add this to the list of what the new Mooney business has to keep in mind...

Best regards,

-a-

I have the heat shield on my F.   Was not aware there was supposed to be support with an Adel clamps.   I did put some rubber stripping around the hoses that are the fancy brown fire sleeve ones.   Now that you have a cut hose.   Call PHT and get some fancy brown ones with internal fire sleeve.