Landed on grass today

Jim Peace

okay I know many of you do this on a daily basis but it was my first time in 29 years.....

2600 feet and a non event.....

I am glad I practiced a soft filled takeoff first out of my hard service runway....it takes a lot more rudder than normal at those slow speeds 

Prop tips stayed white.....

landed 7FL4....Haller Air park florida....anyone ever been there?

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Shiny moose said:

My F been into grass many times, its very comfortable on grass, watch the wet and density and all is good

walk it yourself or someone you trust to measure the gopher holes and ruts. Maybe being a traildragger pilot I see a different class of fields but I'd say about 30% of the fields I've been in in the Aeronca can handle a Mooney without damage.

-Robert

My one turf landing was a 2500 foot strip nestled in a forest with 100 foot trees on either end.  No problem landing (well, I did go around once) but the hump in the middle of the field played hobb with my take off. Still, Mooneys can do turf just fine.

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

walk it yourself or someone you trust to measure the gopher holes and ruts. Maybe being a traildragger pilot I see a different class of fields but I'd say about 30% of the fields I've been in in the Aeronca can handle a Mooney without damage.

Is there a tour or something where we can go to see gopher holes? I don't frequent grass runways all that often, but have never shied away from them with my Mooneys. But I've never seen a gopher hole, or a gopher for that matter. :lol:

There is over 10.5" of clearance between the prop tip and the ground, how big of a hole (or how soft of ground) are you guys operating out of?

Keep it on the mains as long as possible, roll your trim full nose up/keep the yoke hauled back when taxiing, and then roll slow like you have an open ice tea in the cupholder, you'll be fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert

Im not saying unimproved, and not before me or someone I trust has looked at runway surface. Most of the older singles were built when grass was the normal and have no ussues on grass, any hole even in asphalt could ruin your day.

most of you guys dont know how much 6 inches is nevermind 10 :)

Edited by Shiny moose
  • Haha 1

I grew up on an 1800’ grass strip that a farmer created.  It was well drained and provided many a good landings for us as well as our friends too.  Never did have a Mooney visit that I remember but I remember walking it with Dad to check conditions though.  Didn’t Mike Elliot have a prop strike on pavement taxiing and managed to find the one low spot?  If I remember correctly, it was only a few inches deep but clearly enough to ruin his day/months ahead.  

Thanks to Carusoam for correcting me.  It was one of the other highly regarded and respected yet unfortunate members, Bob. 

Edited by Nick Pilotte

Bob found a hole while taxiing on a paved surface... and went on to update the whole plane to new condition after that...   :)

Seth got the transition from pavement to mud at KOSH... the depth of the hole was hidden...  even to the people working the area.

Gus uses his plane on a grass field each time he flys... 

Bryan used unimproved strips with his M20C... he had really tight control over his bird... YouTube videos to share.

Some people with Mooneys live on air parks with grass strips...

Long noses make seeing holes pretty difficult...

PP thoughts only, 30 years without landing on grass.... maybe next year... :)

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’ve literally landed my Mooney on a sandy beach in Mexico. Unfortunately after I parked a car backed into my plane but that’s another story. . 

Point me to the photos!  This, I want to see...sounds awesome.  The Mooney on a beach, not the wreck (sorry to hear about that part).

58 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

Point me to the photos!  This, I want to see...sounds awesome.  The Mooney on a beach, not the wreck (sorry to hear about that part).

You should watch piperpainter's videos! He takes his Mooney to unimproved backwoods strios with his tailwheel buddies . . . . I do grass, but not the types of places he visits!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...