Diamond DA-50

Maybe I'm behind, but I just saw a press release on the DA-50. Looks pretty interesting as a Cirrus alternative. csm_DA50_RG_2_85bdb82fb2.jpgcsm_DA50_RG_1_07c64e28bb.jpg

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/about-diamond/newsroom/news/article/introducing-the-all-new-diamond-aircraft-5-seat-da50-rg-with-retractable-gear/

I fly a DA-40 and DA-42.....really good flying airplanes. Can be maintenance hogs, but that is in a flight school environment where we are beating the %^*$* out of them.

Impressive:

• useful load >1200lbs
  • 5 seat config 2+3
  • RG single-engine....you don't see those much these days.
  • Aesthetics....i think it's a better looking airplane than a Cirrus...less bulbous

Decent

• max range 750nm
  • fuel economy (9gph on a Continental Diesel)

Meh

• max speed 181 ktas from 300hp
  • price tag (TBD, but Im sure not a bargain)
  • Like 2

I don’t think you’re behind.  Today was the official release of the DA50RG. (I think).  With that UL, speed and economy it could have a real impact on the market.   Looking forward to the TBD price. 

It is a nice looking aircraft. Glad they moved forward with it. I hope they sell a good amount. The DA62 is a nice handling aircraft with fuel burn and speed similar to an SR22. The payload is more.

I do love that the gear retracts on the DA50. 

-Seth

Will be very interesting to compare sales for new aircraft without a chute, or they didn’t mention it had one. What a great concept, RG, kerosine burner, 1200 lb useful load looks comfy as all get out. Let’s wain and examine there marketing program, Mooney should observe

15 hours ago, rbridges said:

Crazy. It has a smaller fuel tank than my c model. I think it's cool. Hope it does well. 

It burns JetA1, not AVGAS, much less by volume per hp, so the smallish tanks still give it 1000nm or so range.

Correction - the range is indeed 750nm, not 1000nm, as pointed out below.

Edited by tmo

Diamond is an Austrian company, and they've been trying to do diesel forever.  I assume its because Avgas isn't that plentiful in Austria.  Sounds like they pulled it off.  If the thing works it'll be popular for the air taxi service, especially in other parts of the world.  Avgas isn't available everywhere, but JetA is.

Actually, Diamond, like many other GA makers, is Chinese owned. It is based in Austria, but Canada as well. They do offer AVGAS versions of the DA40 and, theoretically, of the DA42 as well, but yes, they have been big on diesels, and it nearly brought them down.

The also make trainers (DA20) and were developing a VLJ (D-jet).

4 hours ago, tmo said:

It burns JetA1, not AVGAS, much less by volume per hp, so the smallish tanks still give it 1000nm or so range.

I think I read that it's around 750ish nm, but still decent for a larger plane with a 50 gallon tank.

17 hours ago, Denver98 said:

I don’t think you’re behind.  Today was the official release of the DA50RG. (I think).  With that UL, speed and economy it could have a real impact on the market.   Looking forward to the TBD price. 

I agree.

At least Diamond is releasing new airplanes...

I love the idea of a plane that burns jet fuel, but so far the diesel has not reached full maturity as far as cost and TBO.  Let's hope this one is successful.

Regardless, this plane, at that advertised TAS and fuel burn will smack the Mooney market right in the nose.

• Like 1

@Mooneymite my not be that hard of smack(from those that want raw speed), but it will certainly take a hit (taking just one plane out of the Mooney sales would hurt them since they are producing so few).  Most people buying a brand new Mooney want the speed.  The issue is getting something from stable company that is moving forward vs a company that seems to be in a constant state of flux.  (Put it this way with my mission today I would pick an Acclaim or Ultra over the DA50 but I would certainly consider it)

62262373-CC63-4D1E-B160-FABEEF70B515.jpeg

C8F9345F-5176-4750-8E07-8A2CBDD86B22.jpeg

B7ABC1C1-3A9F-43DB-8DA9-F3D6D511130F.jpeg

I owned a Diamond DA40 before I sold it to buy this Mooney over 10 years ago.

I found

-the DA40 was a wonderful plane to fly and to hand fly.

-the company was difficult to work with and in several ways made their legacy fleet owners second class citizens.  From my own experience and also from reading repeatedly the experiences of other owners on the owners forum, to the point when I sold I had the feeling of escaping a bad deal.

So I would be hard pressed to buy a Diamond again.  Maybe colored by that, and it may be just me, but the DA50 isn't a nice looking plane to my eye.  I do think it is a twin DA62, or rather the other way around, the DA50 was designed and flying and vapor ware long before they released the DA62.  Just like the DA40 and DA42 are the same bodies.  I do think their DA62 is the best of their fleet.

• Like 3