Dog spot.

bradp

You see who won and lost the battle for the seat.   Courtney gave up and sat on the floor.**  Until now, we have had our pup sitting on a lap or between the rear pax , but then she kept growing.  Up to 40 lb and she should top out there.  However a lap dog she is no more.  

I’m thinking about designing a collapsible tray/shelf for the cargo area where she can lay down and chill and solid luggage can still fit underneath.  

Anyone else have a family of 4 with a medium size pup and figured out how to travel together? 

8FE6B617-5FFA-4734-A49A-57B6DBDEE418.jpeg

** until approach and descent and she sat back in her seat with her lap belt securely fastened 

• Like 2

Bringing Mrs. Steingar home from Michigan in our first ever trip with our Lhasa Apso doggie Phyzzbyn After a nice nap Phyzzy decided it was time to come up front.  IT was actually OK until it came time to land.  I informed my wonderful spouse that if Phyzzbyn wasn't immediately put back I was going to squish her with the bar.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:22 PM, bradp said:

Anyone else have a family of 4 with a medium size pup and figured out how to travel together? 

When we travel, family of 3 with 2 dogs, a lab mix and a random ditch dog.  The lab takes a spot in the back and the smaller one (~35lbs) rides on top of the luggage.   The last thing loaded is a dog crate bed that fits the cargo area nicely. 

Both dogs wear harnesses. The lab is attached to the seat belt.  The one on the back, I run a teather to one of the cargo tie down rings on the floor.  The feathers allow them to stand up and turn around but not leave their respective seats.  They should also keep them restrained if the plane ever came to a sudden stop.

• Like 1

Brad,

We have a 50lb lab, she rides on top of the luggage.  We pack in duffels and try to keep the soft stuff up top and everything as flat as possible.  Then cover it with a harbor freight moving blanket.  It makes a comfy bed but Molly is a nervous flyer and rarely lays down.  Entry is though the baggage door.   Kevin makes a excellent point about restraint,  we haven't in the past but should have. Molly is 10 year old and very well behaved.  I fully trust her not to move out of her spot but it's the sudden stop that worries me.   I take good precautions with securing my baggage, this should be no different.

Cheers,

Dan

IMG_9016.thumb.jpg.d5c9418c5c760caf14eadccbafda4dcb.jpg

IMG_9025.thumb.jpg.7855ef4ba0a95e29a3c8fa6933a31cbd.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

Brad,

We have a 50lb lab, she rides on top of the luggage.  We pack in duffels and try to keep the soft stuff up top and everything as flat as possible.  Then cover it with a harbor freight moving blanket.  It makes a comfy bed but Molly is a nervous flyer and rarely lays down.  Entry is though the baggage door.   Kevin makes a excellent point about restraint,  we haven't in the past but should have. Molly is 10 year old and very well behaved.  I fully trust her not to move out of her spot but it's the sudden stop that worries me.   I take good precautions with securing my baggage, this should be no different.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, you've got my nomination for "Cutest Mooney Family Ever."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Brad,

Cheers,

Dan

Are they twins? Very cute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Dan, you've got my nomination for "Cutest Mooney Family Ever."

Thanks.  There is a reason I"m not in the photos:D

25 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Are they twins? Very cute!

They are not twins, 16 months apart.  But they weight the exact same and the youngest is nearly the same height. 

2 hours ago, Rusty Pilot said:

s that an English Cream Golden Retriever?  We have two, but have not taken them up yet.

She is 50% Lab, 50% Golden.  I'm not sure what that makes her, a mutt I suppose.  Fantastic mix, she is a wonderful family member.

Cheers,

Dan 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rbridges said:

I've seen people discuss hearing protection for dogs.  What's everyone's thoughts on it?  

Seems like a great idea, but we've tried MuttMuffs twice and he just won't keep them on.  See lots of pics of dogs wearing them, but on my dog, they just slide off the lab fur.  And if I try to cinch them down tight enough to convince yourself that they're really sealed, he doesn't tolerate them.  I worry about his hearing some, but it's hard to keep the dog from trying to leap on the wing every time he's near the plane, so I guess it's not causing too much discomfort.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rbridges said:

I've seen people discuss hearing protection for dogs.  What's everyone's thoughts on it?  

I'm interested as well. My dog is only 12 pounds but has a mind of his own and I can't imagine any type of hearing protection that he would be willing to keep on. He is a very experienced car traveler, doesn't really like it, but would rather come with us than stay at home. I've been reluctant to take him in the plane without ear protection. Also, where does the dog ride? Does everyone crate them? I don't think he will be a fan of that either.

Welcome aboard TB...

This whole thread covers what is the dog...

How big...

Where does he sit...

How is he tied down...

Do you want to start at the top, or would you like be to re-write it all below?

there are several other threads about O2 use... hearing protection... and training him how to pull the red handle....

That was the MSer’s thread that bought a plane specifically for his dog...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, turbobullet said:

I'm interested as well. My dog is only 12 pounds but has a mind of his own and I can't imagine any type of hearing protection that he would be willing to keep on. He is a very experienced car traveler, doesn't really like it, but would rather come with us than stay at home. I've been reluctant to take him in the plane without ear protection. Also, where does the dog ride? Does everyone crate them? I don't think he will be a fan of that either.

My 9-pounder flies in his crate on the backseat, the same crate that he sleeps in every night. Except in the plane, we put the door on and close it! No hearing protection (he's 12 now, we got him the year after the plane.), he comes running when he hears me pop open his pill bottle (antibiotics right now, nothing long term).

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

My 9-pounder flies in his crate on the backseat, the same crate that he sleeps in every night. Except in the plane, we put the door on and close it! No hearing protection (he's 12 now, we got him the year after the plane.), he comes running when he hears me pop open his pill bottle (antibiotics right now, nothing long term).

Thanks for the info. We have pills too. He is much more chill on our 7-hour car trips. We stop every 1-2 hours. The plane ride will be 2.5 hours. I think we'll experiment flying around the pattern first. 

7 minutes ago, turbobullet said:

Thanks for the info. We have pills too. He is much more chill on our 7-hour car trips. We stop every 1-2 hours. The plane ride will be 2.5 hours. I think we'll experiment flying around the pattern first. 

If he tolerates the car, he should tolerate the plane. Dogs often are the same in both. 

51 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Comes running? Mine “goes running”......lol

I put him on the back of the couch, and set a treat about 2 feet in front of him. After poking the pill down, he gets it. The whole time, he keeps an close eye on that treat. After a few times, he jumps up on the couch and starts sniffing around for the treat. Much easier process than earlier, sitting on the kitchen floor . . . .

• Like 1