Looking for a Canadian registered Mooney (part 2)

Hello all,

A couple of years ago I asked the same question here, and got some great replies. Due to changes in the job situation at the time, my plans fell through.

I find myself able to go back on my Mooney hunt, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows about any Canadian Mooneys for sale? I'm aiming at the bottom of the market, around 60k CAD, so I am of course willing to compromise on some items.

It would need to have a basic IFR equipment, preferably with some kind of IFR GPS in there. I've looked at all the public ads on kijiji and barnstormers. But that's probably just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure there must be more for sale locally. My budget will probably limit me to C models, but I'm open to anything really.

Ideally I'd find a really nicely equipped one with a high time engine that would give me 200 hours of use out of it.

I'd welcome any leads! Maybe someone needs quick sale with all these Corona troubles?

Kind regards,

Digits

Welcome back, digits...

Interested in a project M20L?

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=M20L&quick=1

It’s in Canada...

Are you really starting from ground zero, with no knowledge of your preferred airframe, or engine...?

Just need to know where we need to start... :)

If your budget is defined by a C... let’s look at B, E, G, and F as well...

it helps to talk in actual AMUs because some Cs cost more than some Fs....

Since an AMU is nearly the same in USD or CAD... give or take...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

Soooo...

Lets cut out some things that may not apply...

1) How do you feel about back seat space..?   Don’t have any back seaters?

2) How do you feel about fuel injection...?  Have no interest in engine tech details?

3) How do you feel about flying above tall mountains...? Have no interest in using O2?

4) Basic IFR has changed a bit as well... how basic do you want.. an ADF with a single VOR? A WAAS capable GPS/VOR/ILS box seems the modern way to go...

If this is the case... the C is perfect!

If this isn’t the case, the C is still perfect, just other Mooneys May be a better fit for what you want to fly...

Many MSers fly M20Cs as forever-planes...

Mooneys are fungible..? They can be transported across borders and don’t need to be converted to be used...

Changing the registration has been done a few times around here... 

There is an MSC in Canada... MSCs often know when local Mooneys are going to become available....

Best regards,

-a-

57 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Soooo...

Lets cut out some things that may not apply...

1) How do you feel about back seat space..?   Don’t have any back seaters?

2) How do you feel about fuel injection...?  Have no interest in engine tech details?

3) How do you feel about flying above tall mountains...? Have no interest in using O2?

4) Basic IFR has changed a bit as well... how basic do you want.. an ADF with a single VOR? A WAAS capable GPS/VOR/ILS box seems the modern way to go...

If this is the case... the C is perfect!

If this isn’t the case, the C is still perfect, just other Mooneys May be a better fit for what you want to fly...

Many MSers fly M20Cs as forever-planes...

Mooneys are fungible..? They can be transported across borders and don’t need to be converted to be used...

Changing the registration has been done a few times around here... 

There is an MSC in Canada... MSCs often know when local Mooneys are going to become available....

Best regards,

-a-

1) Don't care about back seat space, don't even need back seats actually.

2) I prefer fuel injection, but no objection to carburetors

3) O2 would be nice, but my budget is limited

4) I want to be able to fly an ILS and have an IFR GPS available that allows RNAV approaches. WAAS is preferred yes

I've heard about too many stalled imports, that I'm pretty weary about importing a plane. Given the limited budget, I also don't think it would be worth it. But I could be wrong!

I like your optimism though, these questions seem to hint there are lots of them available ;-)

In case it got lost in my blob of text in my first post, I'd like to keep the budget around/below 60k CAD.

Not entirely sure what an MSC is?

Edited by digits
  • Like 1

Hi there fellow Canuck!

I'm sure there is a Mooney out there for you, but finding it will be an ordeal, especially with your expectations...

A C for $60K is possible in Canada, but maybe not with a GPS and maybe with high time on engine and prop and those details will catch up with you later on... I don't know where you're located in Canada, but there could be some partnership available in your area and that could be your best ticket to the Mooney world, especially if you're teaming up with an experienced Mooney owner who doesn't fly as much as he used to!

You could also look at importing a Mooney from South of the Border, which I did some 10 years ago. Costs aren't prohibitive, maybe an added $5K or so, but the process is a bit nerve wrenching, but finding the right experts is the key.

Good luck in your search!

• Like 1

MSC is the Mooney Service center... a place that typically knows how to service a Mooney...

I believe there are two Canadian MSCs... On Opposite ends of the country...

The more eastern one... Tri-city Aero...   (Tri-City  Aero at CYKF) Is run by a great MSer...

We have many MSers from Canada around here...

Its a big country... traveling by Mooney really makes sense...

Best regards,

-a-

Hello Digits:

I have a 1964 M20E based at CYRO (Rockcliffe - Ottawa) that you might be interested in.  It is currently in annual (due out in a few days) and apart from your desire for a panel mounted GPS seems to fit the bill.  It has not been advertised for sale but my partner in the a/c and I have been kicking around the idea of selling since he has 2 other airplanes and I am moving out of town. PM me and we can talk on the phone.

Rob

You might check with Bruce at Apex Aircraft in Toronto, he had an F model listed awhile ago, that did not sell.  I don’t know the details of why.

Its CGLJT.

Clarence

@Kmac No problem, thanks!

@M20Doc Thanks, I've seen that one in a few ads. At first sight it looked like a clean good airplane (no IFR GPS), a bit on the high side pricewise, but if you look at the numbers it seems to imply the plane barely flew. 11 hours in the past 3 years, less than 200 hours in the past 13 years. Seems fairly low for a Mooney. It's priced as a near new 200 hour engine -which it is- but I won't trust the engine to last much longer. It might, but at the asking price I don't want to take the risk. I think other people might feel the same.

It's also listed on their website without a price, probably a sign they know they are asking a bit much.

7 hours ago, digits said:

@Kmac No problem, thanks!

@M20Doc Thanks, I've seen that one in a few ads. At first sight it looked like a clean good airplane (no IFR GPS), a bit on the high side pricewise, but if you look at the numbers it seems to imply the plane barely flew. 11 hours in the past 3 years, less than 200 hours in the past 13 years. Seems fairly low for a Mooney. It's priced as a near new 200 hour engine -which it is- but I won't trust the engine to last much longer. It might, but at the asking price I don't want to take the risk. I think other people might feel the same.

It's also listed on their website without a price, probably a sign they know they are asking a bit much.

It had sat for a number of years in a hangar at the Guelph Ontario airport.  I tried to buy it but couldn’t come to terms with the owner.  It was eventually sold and I understood that the engine was removed and repaired.  The current owner is in the Owensound Ontario area.

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

just wanted to bump this one up in case there are any non advertised mooneys for sale. Looked at a couple in this thread. One just got sold today as I was writing an offer. Another would need to much money to bring it up to speed.

I'm getting more open towards imports, so looking across the border now as well in case I find a little diamond in the rough...

Regards,
digits