1992 Mooney M20J 201 MSE ‘Limited’

V1VRV2

I I did a search and can’t seem to find a single bit of info on this very rare model... the 1992 model M20J 201 MSE Limited. The only info I could find was that it had “special equipment”. Could someone shed some light on this model and the differences between it and the MSE which was also offered in 1992. Mooney is a hornets nest of models and numbers and letters!!!! Trying to make sense of it all makes my head hurt! :huh:

Edited by V1VRV2

Thanks for that link. I have been using that as a reference. It doesn’t mention a paint change. I found an advertisement from flying mag that mentions specifically “ special equipment”. Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

I I did a search and can’t seem to find a single bit of info on this very rare model... the 1992 model M20J 201 MSE Limited. The only info I could find was that it had “special equipment”. Could someone shed some light on this model and the differences between it and the MSE which was also offered in 1992. Mooney is a hornets nest of models and numbers and letters!!!! Trying to make sense of it all makes my head hurt! :huh:

@jgarrison

Maybe Mr J has some insight?

• Like 1

Realistically...

MSE is Mooney Special Edition...

Which included many things like a high level of avionics, and leather interior niceties....

But once the plane is 20+ years old... all the avionics and leather bits related to the name MSE... might be disappointing...

A fancy BK suite of electronics isn’t much to get excited about after 25years... WAAS has arrived, as has wide screen color PFDs...

The opposite of the MSE, was the AT and Mooney Eagle... Again after a few years, they may have been updated to forever-plane status...

So be on the look-out for a rare Mooney F-P....

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have gathered bits and pieces from articles and advertisements. I believe the MSE Limited was a stripped down MSE aimed at budget minded buyers. Think stealing Cessna and Piper customers. Here is one of the ads I’ve seen. It says “The Limited comes in at a price lower than the already affordable MSE”

523C014F-F27D-453A-BC47-8664A05E9E26.jpeg

Edited by V1VRV2
  • Like 1

In 94, The Ovation MSE had everything but O2, AC, and FIKI....

The AP was a KAP150... The only thing better was one with a FD in it...

A few things could be added on... altitude Pre-select...

All digital instruments, with analog displays...

All digital radios, with gas discharge displays...

A new Mooney for 160amu sounds really good... even with an empty panel...

The things left off the options list require some thinking...price and weight are significant... all can be added at a later time...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Just now, carusoam said:

A new Mooney for 160amu sounds really good

Doesn't it?  According to a CPI inflation calculator (https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1994?amount=1) $1 in 1994 is approx. $1.74 in 2020.

Using that math, a new Mooney in 2020 should be $278K with an empty panel...Hmmm....is it all due to higher volume in '94?  

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, Mcstealth said:

@jgarrison

Maybe Mr J has some insight?

The big difference between the MSE and MSE Limited was a KAP-100 Autopilot in place of the KAP-150 and no HSI. There were other minor differences. Like the lower side carpets were replaced with royalite plastic and if I remember correctly, there were no sun visors. No middle arm rest. Cheaper carpet material and seat material. Mechanical cowl flaps vs. electric if I remember right.

The reference to the inflation adjuster above. The big difference(s) between 1994 and now are labor rates, the cost of non-factory produced components (which also include much larger liability premiums) and the cost of liability premiums for the factory. Since the Mooney airframe takes 5000+ hours to hand build, you have to figure that the cost of labor is probably three times now what is was back in 1994. Cost of an engine and accessories, probably 3-4 times. And liability insurance premiums maybe 5-10 times what they were then and not spread over as many units. I just got a 1989 M20J that I am hoping to turn into a basically 'new' plane. I'm guessing if it were actually new, it would probably have to sell for between 600 and 700K for it to break even. I am going to try to stay under $225K for it, which is very high for a J, but in relation to new-new, it will be a bargain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just bought a 87 205.

HSI.   KFD 150

Center arm rest....big deal

1300 TT with new prop and Premier overhaul.   Paid 140 and ecstatic.   Basically a new faster

(a little) J like new airplane.   Probably my last airplane unless I hit the lottery and I couldn't be happier.   Electric cowl flaps and ram air.   You can probably steal it from my widow.   Enjoy

18 minutes ago, 87-205SE said:

Just bought a 87 205.

HSI.   KFD 150

1300 TT with new prop and Premier overhaul.   Paid 140 and ecstatic.   Basically a new faster

(a little) J like new airplane.   Probably my last airplane unless I hit the lottery and I couldn't be happier.   Electric cowl flaps and ram air.   You can probably steal it from my widow.   Enjoy

Congrats fellow Mooniac.  It won't be your last M20 Fast Mover.  You'll step up to another one day...

Just bought a 87 205.
HSI.   KFD 150

33 years old and only 1300 hours?

• 3 weeks later...

Original owner probably an engineer.   Second owner and A&P.   Airplane is like new.  Seattle to Detroit 10 hrs flight time.    170 TAS

I can send you a pic.  Prox 70% power at 7000 burning 11.5.    My first 83 201 was great.   This 205 is fabulous.

• Like 1