Parting Out 1968 M20F Mooney

peott

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That plane is one nice M20F.  It has just about everything that mine has and more.  The different engine is a huge factor as are electric gear and flaps.  That puts this plane in the same catagory as a 201.  I should have gone ahead and put electric gear and flaps on my plane but, I ran out of energy and got tired of having the plane in pieces before we thought of that.  I would take the advertised plane over my plane any day.  If you have ever flown with the Johnson bar, you know just how annoying it is.  Let's all try to pay attention and see how long All American has that M20F on the market.  You can try to sell something but, until it is actually sold and you have money in hand, it doesn't mean anything.  Just because they have it priced at $79k doesn't mean it will bring that much.  And, if it sits there for a year before the owner decides to take less.......you know what I mean.

Quote: peott

That plane is one nice M20F.  It has just about everything that mine has and more.  The different engine is a huge factor as are electric gear and flaps.  That puts this plane in the same catagory as a 201.  I should have gone ahead and put electric gear and flaps on my plane but, I ran out of energy and got tired of having the plane in pieces before we thought of that.  I would take the advertised plane over my plane any day.  If you have ever flown with the Johnson bar, you know just how annoying it is.  Let's all try to pay attention and see how long All American has that M20F on the market.  You can try to sell something but, until it is actually sold and you have money in hand, it doesn't mean anything.  Just because they have it priced at $79k doesn't mean it will bring that much.  And, if it sits there for a year before the owner decides to take less.......you know what I mean.

Quote: PilotDerek

Scott

Not sure how you can say the STec isn't worth anything. Have you priced a new STEC-30 out or the JPI 930? Unless his photo was from when all his avionics were first installed a few years ago, they are all in very good if not excellent condition. He, of course, cannot get new prices but far more reasonable than what you priced them out for. I don't disagree that when all is said and done selling whole might be the better way to go. I know I for one would sell it whole, but I also do not have the time, storage, or patience to part out a plane. If someone does buy it whole I will be happy that a Mooney was saved, but a little sad that I cannot take advantage of good avionics/parts at a good price.

Quote: PilotDerek

Paul,

A couple flaws in your response IMO. That plane does not have electric flaps, they are manual. Yes it has electric gear but many of us like/prefer the Johnson bar. I've seen a few people on this sight comment that they wish their 201 had a Johnson bar. Electric is easy but the bar is flawless. I honestly think your plane has more to offer than this one. The dual 430's and a huge bonus in my mind is the EDI 930. That is what I want in my plane. It replaces all the factory gauges. Just because of that item you still have room on your panel. The plane that All American has is nice but I do think it is priced a little high in today's market. I still believe your aircraft (if annual’d) is a better bird than All American's.

I was thinking about the idle time on the engine as well and at first I was thinking that could be an issue but, then I started to remember the last time I flew the plane....January 2011 before it went out of annual....and the weather we have had in Kansas since then.  We have had probably less than 6" of rain since January and one of the hottest, driest summers in history.  I really doubt that being ran once every four or five weeks in the last eight months, given the weather we have had is really going to put the engine in danger.  If it had been sitting in Florida or up north where they had record rainfall and the higher humidity that goes along with it, I might be concerned.  You couldn't have stored the engine in a better environment than we have had here in Wichita this year.  Every time we changed the oil.....it looked like new since it essentially was.  The plane has started within one revolution each and every time that I started it.  Again, I would hop in it and fly it anywhere....well...maybe not to Europe but, anywhere in the US and not give it a second thought.

Paul, I'm in the camp of preferring a J-bar to electric gear, and a plane like yours is exactly what I had hoped to find 5 years ago when I was shopping...and I would've expect to pay $80k for such a plane without the LoPresti cowl or super-modern engine monitor.  I agree with the sentiments above that if you get it annualed you will have no problem selling it, even in this market, at $65k or perhaps more.  

I also feel the same way as many others here (and on the email lists) that hate to see a perfectly good airframe get broken down for scrap, especially one that has had so many improvements.  If it were hail-damaged, or flooded, or something along those lines then it would be much easier to swallow, but with just minor elevator damage that is easy enough to fix all of us Mooniacs would rather see it live to fly another day.

Quote: peott

I was thinking about the idle time on the engine as well and at first I was thinking that could be an issue but, then I started to remember the last time I flew the plane....January 2011 before it went out of annual....and the weather we have had in Kansas since then.  We have had probably less than 6" of rain since January and one of the hottest, driest summers in history.  I really doubt that being ran once every four or five weeks in the last eight months, given the weather we have had is really going to put the engine in danger.  If it had been sitting in Florida or up north where they had record rainfall and the higher humidity that goes along with it, I might be concerned.  You couldn't have stored the engine in a better environment than we have had here in Wichita this year.  Every time we changed the oil.....it looked like new since it essentially was.  The plane has started within one revolution each and every time that I started it.  Again, I would hop in it and fly it anywhere....well...maybe not to Europe but, anywhere in the US and not give it a second thought.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking for:

Mooney Airspeed Safety Switch, (Any model with electric gear).  Original part was Dukes 3203-00 on M20G.  Any later part number fromM20J and newer acceptable for installation by 337.

This part may be found by looking behind the airspeed indicator.  It is connected to Pitot System very near the airspeed indicator pitot system connection.

Must be functional and no air leaks on case surface.

Thanks for looking,
RFB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...